Thread: Ray

Liked: 235

Default Ray

Are parts available for the Ray FF? I know it's made in Ireland, or was. Their website looks like it's been years since updated. No contact listed.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 44

Try their Facebook page. I'm sure they're very active in the UK. I don't think they were ever built in Ireland though.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

From reading about the British FF scene, they are still producing cars, updating them and running at or near the front in the Chapionships. I've seen comments that they are not terribly communicative on social media or supportive of older cars.

Better bet may be to see if GMT has jigs for the chassis you're looking at.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

I only mentioned Ireland because the current owner said it was imported from there.
    Jim

Liked: 384

owned 92 Ray FF1600
    build in England.
    good car,
    Ended up winning bunch of stuff with new owner in Oregon.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Where can parts be found?
    Jim

Liked: 110

Bert and Franks Ray's son Gavin runs the business now. They are in Croydon (think outskirts of London). They are still very active. Gavin came out to New Zealand 12 months ago to help run one of their new cars (FF1600). Their website is out of date but their facebook page is current. I have met Gavin; he is a very very nice guy and very helpful. Just email him directly.

gavin@rayracecar.com

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Thank you Mark!
    Jim

Liked: 120

Default Swift DB1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    Thank you Mark!
    Maybe a better bet. Your series/ tire choice is the big consideration on that car. They suck for some reason beyond my engineering know how on street radials. Or Dunlop/Hoosier FF treaded tires.

The good is you are dealing with vendors this side of Harry and Meghan's pond.

Shipping anything over the pond will drive you nuts. An industry with few rules or customer complaint options. Pay up, pick up and shut up. Plus tax.

Cheers. KR

Ken,
    Just to confirm, are you saying the car doesn't work well on the various sanctioning body's street radial requirements?

Also, the only parts contact I've got now is for Ray in the UK. Do you know of a North American contact?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    Ken,
    Just to confirm, are you saying the car doesn't work well on the various sanctioning body's street radial requirements?

Also, the only parts contact I've got now is for Ray in the UK. Do you know of a North American contact?

Jim. I am referring to the North American built Swift DB 1. From the mid 80's but don't let that stop you considering a superb car.

No Ray distributor in the US. They seen to work well in the UK. Would they take a Honda here? Not sure. Why be the pioneer?

Cheers. Ken.

Liked: 229

The Ray is one of the most popular chassis in Europe, I run the Team Canada Scholarship and have done so since 2011. We do the Festival at Brands every year and have been using a Ray under the Cliff Dempsey banner alongside the Team USA Scholarship drivers. Gavin is always on site and provides service second to none to his customers. A great guy who also built all of the new Lucas Oil Driving School cars. I actually bought the Ray that we campaigned several years from Cliff and will use it to test our drivers here to give them a warm up to the car they will race. Great cars that are more than capable of winning. No reason to think they would not work under the Canada/USA rule sets.

Brian.

Liked: 229

2019 Formula Ford Festival Team Canada.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 14

Default Rays

Raced one in the early 90's, wish I still had it. Turn one at MidOhio
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by racerjon; 01.22.20 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added photo

Liked: 77

Depending on which parts you need, you may be able to get them locally. I raced a Ray for a season in the late 1990's (bought it from MI). It was a good car. Pat Prince was able to make parts for me. And I understand he has sold all of his equipment to another Apex member who may still be able to produce parts for you.

Just got a return email from Ray. Here's their contact. And they sent a catalog, attached.

Attachment 89881

Raysport International Limited

Unit 16, 41 Imperial Way, Croydon, Surrey, CR0 4RL
    Telephone / Fax 020 8686 9364
    Web: www.rayracecar.com
    Email: anita@rayracecar.com
    Jim

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 95

Looking at the list a LD200 is $3182. A lot less that I would have expected, assuming it's new not used.

Liked: 110

I think the price is pounds Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Graham View Post
    The Ray is one of the most popular chassis in Europe, I run the Team Canada Scholarship and have done so since 2011. We do the Festival at Brands every year and have been using a Ray under the Cliff Dempsey banner alongside the Team USA Scholarship drivers. Gavin is always on site and provides service second to none to his customers. A great guy who also built all of the new Lucas Oil Driving School cars. I actually bought the Ray that we campaigned several years from Cliff and will use it to test our drivers here to give them a warm up to the car they will race. Great cars that are more than capable of winning. No reason to think they would not work under the Canada/USA rule sets.

Brian.

Brian, Jim's original post which is not shown asked about 86-92 Van Diemens. Hence my suggestion of a Swift DB1 as a cost effective US built alternative depending on tire/series choice.

The Ray appears to be a well engineered car. However the last thing a newcomer needs is to be bringing the first one over the pond.

KR

Thread Information