Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    .....that the difference in how a race car handles between left and right turns is determined more by a driver's relative muscle vs. fat mass ratio in his left buttock between his right buttock (or, vice versa), and that this differential is more material to real life in-turn car behavior than immaterial differences in anti-roll bar arm length?

bt
    It's actually the muscle to fat ratio symmetry over the cube root of the nerve sensitivity.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I remember when I got the NASCAR Busch North "road race" car in here that we put Treadway in for LRP and the Glen in 2004, I immediately had to put it up on a lift to see what made it tick. As The lift was going up, the first thing I noticed was the rear bar links. Right side was rigid and the left side was a piece of chain. I knew at that point that I had my work cut out for me on that big fat Pig.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    .....that the difference in how a race car handles between left and right turns is determined more by a driver's relative muscle vs. fat mass ratio in his left buttock between his right buttock (or, vice versa), and that this differential is more material to real life in-turn car behavior than immaterial differences in anti-roll bar arm length?

bt
    Seeing as I have a very,very low muscle to fat ratio, I can tell you that in a sports racer, all it does is help lower the CG.

john f

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    Ah, now I see the confusion! In my attempt to be succinct it was possible to think I was referring to the force; not so, since Newton wouldn't allow...

...it is the energy input, on bump, that is not fully transferred since some of it is stored at the ARB twists.

In roll, such that the sprung part exerts a moment pivoting on the roll axis, I suspect unequal ARB levers will mean the side with the longer lever will experience greater displacement than the side with the shorter lever.
    No, no, no, no, no!

The energy is stored in the spring, and there is not preference for one end or the other.

As for the rest, of COURSE it will experience greater displacement.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Okay, last time...

...an ARB is simply a transverse torsion spring. When the car rolls, eg. in cornering, the roll motion of the car is limited by the ARB twisting.
    As it twists it stores energy. That energy is not released until conditions change to allow the ARB to return to its normal, untwisted orientation.

With that I really am out of here.

Liked: 157

Default Video

I made this to illustrate my understanding of Dave's point (and my understanding)

https://youtu.be/6V5qSNdaur4

9. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    I made this to illustrate my understanding of Dave's point (and my understanding)

Nicely done!

I wanted to do the same thing in words, but creating a video was far more informative.

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post

Nice! If I'd tried to make a demo, I'd have made it way too complicated...
    Dave Weitzenhof

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information