Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Default FE runs as FE2 at Majors/Runoffs

I posted this in another thread. However that thread had nothing to do with FE, so I am repeating here in case anyone missed it.

Starting with the 2020 season, FE cars can enter Majors/Runoffs as FE2. They will be classed and scored as FE2. Their entries will count toward FE2 Runoffs class qualification requirements. Of course, FE cars will likely not be fully competitive with FE2.

This is implicit in the January 29020 GCR, but not stated directly.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 9

Default FE as FE2

John,

I previously received confirmation of this however, I am concerned about the "implicit" vs. "explicit" interpretation that may occur.

By way of illustration, I present my FE at tech. It has all badging necessary for FE2 however, the engine and transmission have not been changed to the new spec. The tech crew says, " Ah ha! This engine is 2.3L and not 2.0L. You have run afoul of the regulations. For the 2.3L is for regional only." I respond that I have drive 8 hours to appear at this majors competition with the understanding that the prior spec will be permitted to run in FE2. I understand the performance disadvantage but, I am willing to accept that handicap. Additionally, the rule "implicitly" permits such a circumstance. I have several opinions that indicate the same. The response is that, "We don't read it that way. Further, if the drafters of the rule intended that FE and FE2 can run under FE2, they should have "explicitly" said that and, not included a FE (regional only) provision. As a result, you, Mr. 8 hour traveler from a far away location, will not be permitted to race. You must pack up and go home."

I acknowledge that tech and others are normally not that draconian but, I would like to avoid the needless expenditure of funds for not being able to race. It is my understanding that Enterprises maintains a similar interpretation of the rules but, I am neither a spokesperson for Enterprises nor, am I able to speak for them.

In the past, I have had occasions where I have been confronted with those who have indicated that "Enterprises doesn't make the rules; the SCCA does." While this has been resolved with deft diplomacy, I would like to gain a little more confidence in the result before I make the 8 hour journey.

(As an aside, I already acknowledge the following responses (from others) which are valid: "choose a closer track", "let the buyer be ware", "that's the SCCA", "we are doing are best with what rules we have", and "just upgrade and you won't have that problem". Thanks in advance for those particular responses; I get it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
    John,

I previously received confirmation of this however, I am concerned about the "implicit" vs. "explicit" interpretation that may occur.

I think that you are wise to have that concern. As far as I can tell, this provision is not widely disseminated. In my exchange with Deanna, I suggested that the GCR be updated to make this provision explicit.

I have also submitted a request (#28169) to the CRB to make this change to 9.1.1.I.2.A.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 218

Zambo put this well. As a CSR, I would hate to have taken an FE to the track for a client only for them to be told the same thing. The egg on the face would be very visible. Thanks John, for taking the time to write the request to clarify that. That being said, I am converting the last FE in my shop to FE2. And to Zambo in my best Nicholas Cage voice, "Tess, get in the god damn chair!"
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    I think that you are wise to have that concern. As far as I can tell, this provision is not widely disseminated. In my exchange with Deanna, I suggested that the GCR be updated to make this provision explicit.

I have also submitted a request (#28169) to the CRB to make this change to 9.1.1.I.2.A.

The February GCR will contain revised language, making clear that FE can run as FE2. Revised passage (emphasis added):

2. FORMULA ENTERPRISES (FE) – Regional Only Class
    A. Definition

One design, fixed specifications, open cockpit, single seat Formula car with the Mazda 2.3 engine. Cars are packaged and sold by SCCA Enterprises (Enterprises). All replacement parts are supplied through Enterprises and shall be official Spec Formula Car parts except where noted in J.4. No modifications may be made to any part or system unless specifically permitted in these rules. FE cars may enter as FE2.

Who says that writing a CRB letter does not work? Five hour turnaround. Can't beat that.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

8. The following 7 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    The February GCR will contain revised language, making clear that FE can run as FE2. Revised passage (emphasis added):

2. FORMULA ENTERPRISES (FE) – Regional Only Class
    A. Definition

One design, fixed specifications, open cockpit, single seat Formula car with the Mazda 2.3 engine. Cars are packaged and sold by SCCA Enterprises (Enterprises). All replacement parts are supplied through Enterprises and shall be official Spec Formula Car parts except where noted in J.4. No modifications may be made to any part or system unless specifically permitted in these rules. FE cars may enter as FE2.

Who says that writing a CRB letter does not work? Five hour turnaround. Can't beat that.

Update: The revised language is present in the just-released February GCR.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information