Thread: ECM [ecu]

Liked: 5

Default ECM [ecu]

How hot does/can the ECM get ![motorcycle engine]
    Does it need to be exposed or can it be contained in a aluminum box to keep it dry. Formula car, seems everything gets wet at some point.

Thanks,
    Will

Liked: 530

If it has heat dissipating fins integral to the case then it doesn’t need to be in any direct airflow however it should not be in an enclosure. Most ecu’s are mounted in a side pod on top or side of the ductwork.

Liked: 270

On my GSXR, plastic ECU case, haven't noticed it getting particularly warm. Do have it mounted in an area of airflow under the bodywork, just in case.

Make sure to orient the connectors in such a way as to not develop standing water inside them. Connectors pointing down would probably be ideal, but as long as water can't pool in there you should be safe. Just don't have them pointing up.

I have noticed the voltage regulator getting plenty hot, enough to give mild burns after even a short time running. Definitely want that in a good air stream...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 5

Much Thanks for your replies.

Will

Banned
    Liked: 1116

The ECM's on 2 of my bikes are located in the airstream but behind the radiator and about 8" from headers. Seems like a less-than-ideal position to me, but maybe the 150-180 ish degree air coming through the radiators is enough to keep them cool enough. One bike has the ECM completely in static air, but insulated from all heat and moisture. Just a different manufacturers' approach. No problems with any of them.

Liked: 83

Default Hot ECU

My experience with Kawasaki ECU's older 1990's carbureted engine was that it had a set point internal temp that when reached began limiting the RPM. This was discovered when new body work which enclosed the ECU and there was a high speed miss and the engine just would not rev. It took more time than I want to remember to figure this out.
    Going forward I have used 2005, 2006, 2010 Kawasaki's and have made sure that the ECU had at least as much air flow as bike install.

Unless you can get the ECU mfg'r to tell you your best bet is to keep it cool. Electrically speaking as components get hotter resistance goes up sooner or later that will effect the way the ECU read and responds to input or supplies out.

My 2¢

David

Thread Information