Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Default Selling a car advice needed.

Hi all. This is not a sales promotion but merely looking for some advice from the experts. I am going to be selling my LeGrand MK6 FB car soon and I have a question in regards to going about this. The car is one of the most original MK6s around and has just gone through a full restoration. The thing is the car has never been raced. It was bought by a friend of Red LeGrand’s as he wanted to have one of his cars but never got completed.
    Would a potential buyer prefer to buy a car which was never raced and a complete virgin or buy one that has had one outing as in one race? Either way it would have been driven at least down the street to ensure everything works as expected. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Graham

Liked: 1112

If it had been raced once "back in the day" I can see how that might make a little difference. Otherwise, no.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 799

If 'Bring a Trailer' has taught me anything, its that I'll never fully grasp the mindset of collectors of significant cars....
    That said though, it seems to me that "never raced" would be more valuable to a buyer than "just once, last weekend".
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 295

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    If 'Bring a Trailer' has taught me anything, its that I'll never fully grasp the mindset of collectors of significant cars....
    That said though, it seems to me that "never raced" would be more valuable to a buyer than "just once, last weekend".
    That might be true if the buyer is buying it for its historic significance and is not planning to race it. Myself if wanting to race it would prefer that it shows it will do what a race car is designed for.....race without anything falling off or leaking. Put me down as a minimum of one race thought.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 138

Depends on the buyer. Best time to buy a race car imo is after it crosses the finish line you drive it into your trailer.

Any other time it's a crap shoot.

Signed a guy that has bought about 10 race cars now and not one of them were flawless first time out.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Banned
    Liked: 1116

You going to chance wrecking / wadding up the car over what might make a few dollars difference in perceived value? Not me.

If was some run-of-the-mill dime a dozen car sure.

Alternatively, if the new owner wanted to see it perform at an open test day where I can show it's race-readiness without concern about some other knucklehead ruining my day, sure.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    The thing is the car has never been raced.
    Well now you gotta show us.

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbe View Post
    Depends on the buyer. Best time to buy a race car imo is after it crosses the finish line you drive it into your trailer.
    Any other time it's a crap shoot.
    Signed a guy that has bought about 10 race cars now and not one of them were flawless first time out.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    ditto, burned twice, but in this case it's Graham selling, not a fly-by-night stranger

and +1 on the why risk damage comment
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    That might be true if the buyer is buying it for its historic significance and is not planning to race it. Myself if wanting to race it would prefer that it shows it will do what a race car is designed for.....race without anything falling off or leaking. Put me down as a minimum of one race thought.
    This ^

You gotta figure your market. If I’m collecting, I want unraced (aside from serious historical significance). If to drive, I want just over the line so I can be confident it won’t become a huge project.

What is your intended/best market?

Liked: 942

It may not have a competition history, but it does have a history. You have the benefit of knowing the story behind the car and why it was never raced. Documentation from the period would be a big plus.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 319

Default two step process

1. advertise the car unraced at a premium price. This will give you a chance to feel out the current market.

2. If you don't get a decent offer, run it once or twice then try again and see what it brings.

Beautiful car, by the way!

Kip
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Thread Information