Liked: 323

Default Suzuki GSX-S 1000 Engine

I was reading about the engine in the GSX-S 1000 motorcycle from Suzuki. I saw in a few articles that this motor is taken from the 05-08 GSX-R motorcycle. Would this be a drop in replacement for the favored 07-08 ? Just curious if anyone has experimented with this newer motor, or if there hasn't been any need to.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default Suzuki

I doubt that it would be a drop in replacement. The newer motor has different mounting near the head than the K7 & K8. Also the newer motor has gone back to a cable actuated clutch on the right side than the hydraulic actuated one on the left side on the K7, 8.
    Internally the motors may be the same.

Found a picture of the two motors, on the left is the K7 & K8 and on the right is the 2017-2019 (20?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COMPARE GSXR 2007 16.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	89499  
    Last edited by Mike Holland; 01.02.20 at 11:00 AM. Reason: add picture

Liked: 133

Wiring harness, headers, oil pan, ECU, may be necessary as well.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Yeah, when that new model GSX1000S was intro'd, they made mention that is was based on the venerable '08 GSXR1000 engine.
    I seem to remember "retuning" to make it a better street bike engine, so expect less OA hp, more mid range torque, probably different gear ratios.
    It would seem that cams and trans could be swapped to get something netter suited for racecar application.

Liked: 3

I was looking at a guy at works GSX-S1000 the other day comparing it to my K8. The head and crankcase bolts look the same and the clutch should interchange, as I run a K2 clutch actuator on a K8 and a friend runs a K6 actuator on a K8. I believe the only difference is the cams and the ECU. I am even tempted to buy one as a road bike for a spare engine.

Jeff

Thread Information