Thread: Getting started

Liked: 1

Default Getting started

Probably a post that's been made about 1000 times here, but I'm looking to get started in Formula Vee. I'm (hopefully) not a complete moron as far as what I'm asking to get into - I've done a fair bit of reading/research, but I'm fully aware that the gap between some guy who thinks he's "done a lot of reading/research" and the guy actually showing up at a track ready to run a race weekend might as well be the Grand Canyon.

So, that's why I'm here - to learn more and, frankly, find out if I'm as serious as I think I am.

I live in the Denver area. My impression is the amateur racing scene here is relatively lively. I'm wondering if there are any good contacts around I could hook up with? Thanks!

Liked: 99

Welcome! There are a good number of Vee racers in the Denver area, and pretty much any/all of them would be happy to help you get started, whether it's answering questions, trying on cars, or whatnot.

I'll PM you some names and numbers.

Jeff

Liked: 1115

I'm not yet active but lived in Denver for 33 years and, looking ahead, thinking similarly.

I'm also very close to all three major kart track owners/managers in Colorado (IMI, Grand Junction, Bandimere), in case you're from karting or even thinking of going that direction. We currently live on the road so can race out of, and in, wherever we choose.

Are you wanting to go SCCA or vintage?

Jeff may have already PMed you his name, but from the vintage circles, my gut tells me Sterling would be a great start. He runs some Vees in vintage for a number of people, and they are all a really fun group to be around.

Tell him Eric and Sandy from the VW Westfalia bus sent you. We're unforgettable.

PM if need be. We're likely to go SCCA despite a lot of reluctance, racing-politically, and Vee is still atop our list though there's a chance we might sway to SRF3 — or maybe vintage.

We are very interested in teaming up with another enthusiastic driver, but if going SCCA I really have our heart set on running out of Central Division for my lifetime of history in that division, area, friends, and tracks.

Liked: 1

This is great info, thank you. I have some leads to follow up on now, thanks!

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

You might also find my old bud Mike Palermo in Shawnee, CO.

I think he's mostly retired, but one fine guy with a lifetime of Vee behind him.

Enjoy the process!

Thread Information