Thread: Sensor location

Liked: 5

Default Sensor location

Which line for Oil pressure sensor and temp sensor. Return line from cooler ?
    Coolant temp sensor. return line?

Thanks,
    Will

Liked: 278

The block or head for the coolant temp sensor. The block fro the pressure sensor.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1397

If I understand your question, I always placed my oil pressure sensor in the block and preferably as far from the pressure pump as I could. For water, I had it at the water outlet from the engine, usually in the cylinder head. I did this so I could see any issues with either pressure or temperature as soon as possible in the system. I wanted to know what the maximum temperature and minimum pressure in the engine. This setup saved me on a couple occasions and avoided any serious engine damage.

5. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    If I understand your question, I always placed my oil pressure sensor in the block and preferably as far from the pressure pump as I could. For water, I had it at the water outlet from the engine, usually in the cylinder head. I did this so I could see any issues with either pressure or temperature as soon as possible in the system. I wanted to know what the maximum temperature and minimum pressure in the engine. This setup saved me on a couple occasions and avoided any serious engine damage.
    If the car loses water does the sensor read properly? If memory serves a friend lost a motor when the water left and sensor was not then accurate. I think he installed a pressure gauge after that. It was long ago so I may not be remembering correctly.
    Hybels

Liked: 1397

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hybels View Post
    If the car loses water does the sensor read properly? If memory serves a friend lost a motor when the water left and sensor was not then accurate. I think he installed a pressure gauge after that. It was long ago so I may not be remembering correctly.
    You are right about not getting a water temp reading if there is no water at the probe. But if that is the case, the engine might be damaged. Prior to that reading, I would expect that the temp gauge would have been high. Taking a reading after the radiator does show how ell the radiator is working but not much about the engine.

Liked: 1112

If the water temp is at 220 and suddenly drops to 212, you're reading steam and don't have much time left to shut down the motor.

Ask me how I know this...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 138

Water pressure is a rare sensor yo have but it is a good idea. My miata has one. It's just a dummy light, pressure drops it goes on. It flickers on warm up but always off on track. Certainly would be a good idea if you are worried about the rad dropping water.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    If the water temp is at 220 and suddenly drops to 212, you're reading steam and don't have much time left to shut down the motor.

Ask me how I know this...
    Good tip.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 270

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbe View Post
    Water pressure is a rare sensor yo have but it is a good idea. My miata has one. It's just a dummy light, pressure drops it goes on. It flickers on warm up but always off on track. Certainly would be a good idea if you are worried about the rad dropping water.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    This.

Longacre sells a pressure switch/idiot light kit, $30, just requires a bung to screw it in to... have this on my P2, easy insurance. Though I just got the pressure switch from them ($20), and wired it to a high-intensity lightweight LED marker light. Hard to miss at any speed!

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...ing-Light-Kit-

Though it has been determined that not unlike the gauge sender, you want to install it low so as to not have false triggers at temp. Which may be an indicator of other issues... used to flicker a lot on my car until I moved it down low. At least it'll get you looking closer at the gauges if needed.

Then my rad cap expired, but that's another story...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Thread Information