Liked: 6

Default Identifying old Konis

Elva factory records identify that our car was sent out with Konis in 1962. The records indicate the following numbers: 1097 and 1495. I have contacted Koni and they said there are numbers missing. I don't know if that's because it's been 50 years and their current records don't correlate to those old numbers, or the person I spoke with doesn't know where to look. Regardless, I don't have anything else. Does anyone here have any old Koni info that might further identify these Konis?

If not obvious, those Konis are not on the car anymore!
    Last edited by Jay Laifman; 12.05.19 at 4:07 PM.

Liked: 141

Photos?

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Try Roger?

You didn't say what kind of Elva... assuming probably a Fjr..as posted on apex... front or rear engine? Perhaps your best bet is get with Roger Dunbar, he's the honcho that runs the Elva Owner's club and web stuff in UK... Great guy, might have some records... if shocks came from factory....most that period were Armstrongs, tho...

contact for Elva Owner's club:

elva.com/index.php

good luck.

Bob L.

extra thought.... try True Choice (Sports) in Ohio...they rebuilt some Koni's for me several years ago...did a super job and probably have more "current" experience with old stuff than the factory....

Elva MkVI, which shared much of the suspension with the FJ 300. It was Roger who gave me the shock numbers for our car!

I don't have photos of the shocks - or should say dampers.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

As far as I know, Koni use an 8-digit code, eg. 8211-1320 (code taken from my Van Diemen RF86, rear):

8211 = type
    1320 = application

So maybe the 1097 and 1495 are the application references for yours? Are there any other numbers stamped into the outer body anywhere?

Liked: 87

The prefix code for Koni can be numbers and letters... in a case of Formula Vee's, the rear popular shock was 80-T-1669 (tube shock with coil over application)
    The Koni's of the 70's were called "Special D" which were rebound adustable in way of compressing shaft and engaging the adjuster and turning clockwise or counter clockwise-range was usually 2.25 turns total)

I agree with the above in that you have the last four digits of an application... I bet Koni only had one race shock back then so the prefix being only one variety did not get listed in cases...

Mike

Liked: 87

I would of figured that car to have had Armstrongs.

Thanks all.

Yes, many had Armstrongs. However, factory records show a few were specially ordered with Konis. Ours was one of those.

I know of another MkVI that currently has Konis on them. But Koni did not think they were 1962 original to the car. They were for an Elva Courier. So maybe they were used for some.

80H 1480 and 80H 1481

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shocks small.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	89094  
    Last edited by Jay Laifman; 12.07.19 at 7:36 PM.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Try Truechoice shocks. 888-566-4722. I sent a set of 1967 Konis off to them for a rebuild and he knew exactly what they were. Worth a shot.
    Graham

Thread Information