Liked: 75

Default 2019 Champion Crowned

Brazilian Driver Mauro Fauza Wins Title in Style

From pawleys island,Sc. Nov 20th,2019 The Southern Formula Car championship was wrapped up By Brazilian ace Mauro Fauza last weekend at the Driven Race oil 100 . He drove through some hazardous conditions at Roebling Road winning Saturdays race and a 2nd place on Sunday. Mauro drove like he did all season and also took advantage of some technical difficulties from Doug Stewart 2nd in points and took home the title. Doug came into weekend with legitimate chance to grab the title away from Mauro but the LTD Motorsports team gave Mauro a great car as they did all year long to allow him to clinch the title with 2nd place finish in Sundays race. Marc Stern from from nearby Hilton Head, the 2018 champ finished the year strong in his F2000 classic powered Van Diemen for a 2nd place on Saturday and 1st on Sunday . Marc has had a great record at his home track Roebling road Raceway where he won the final race of 2018 to win the championship. Jim Belay had a pair of 3rd place finishes to lock up the final prize paying spot of 3rd in the championship and also the highest finishing f2000 classic powered car in points title. Jim showed great consistency as he really closed up the points gap to that of Doug Stewart in 2nd spot. Doug also had a great year considering it was his first season of racing in a winged car and also considering the experience he was surrounded by of that of Mauro Fauza and Jim Belay. Congratulations to the top three in the 2019 Southern Formula car Championship presented by Primus Racing parts and American Racer tires.
    Mauro Fauza was certainly a deserving champion as he has had a long history of racing to get to this point. He started as a kid racing karts in Brazil and quickly moved into Super Vee racing in Brazil. After some success in Brazil he came to America and raced in the very popular United States Super Vee championship in the mid eighties which was packed with talent and also very big budgets. People like Michael Andretti were examples of the high level of driver competition in that series. Mauro said if you didnt have a qualifying motor and a race motor you really didnt have a chance of competing with some of the big budget teams at that time in American Motorsports. He returned to Brazil and ended up moving his company back to the United States in 2002 and began racing f2000 again. After considerable success in the SCCA f2000 ranks he took some years off. He purchased a Van Diemen Zetec powered car in 2015 to come run in the very popular FRP F2000 championship. I met Mauro at Road Atlanta where he competed in his first event back in racing. I must admit that I wasnt very impressed as he spent the majority of the weekend with 3 wheels on the car after a couple incidents through out the weekend. He decided to make the move to the LTD motorsports team in 2017 where they did a comprehensive rebuild of the car which forced him to take another break from racing until this year. The wait was worth it has he really didnt miss a beat all year long as he dominated the series with 5 wins and the series title. Dave Livingston of LTD motorsports told me he was going to win the championship with Mauro and I must admit that I had some doubts until I saw him perform this year. His lap times at Road Atlanta for the Race Mirror GP was the height of his driving performance and I believe he could have raced against anyone . It was bitter sweet to win this championship after many years of hard work and racing through out the years. We nick named him the animal after is first weekend in the car down at West palm Beach after he missed the opener at Roebling road at the Quarter master Classic in April. He hasnt decided what he will do next year but he said he would certainly like to return to the series next year as we will have a different type of schedule for 2020. Congratulations to a super nice and very talented champion Mauro Fauza.

Final Points for 2019
    http://southernformulacar.com/2019-C...ngs_c_161.html

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information