Liked: 388

Default Small track support vehicle?

Any suggestions on a small side by side to use as a support vehicle at the track?

My must haves:

1) Short enough to fit sideways in the trailer (Under 8ft).
    2) Small bed on the back for hauling tires / jacks. I'm ok with having to fabricate a folding bed to fit in trailer as noted above.
    3) Capable of towing a formula car
    4) Seats two comfortably to use to get around the track and spectate.
    5) Fit through a 54" door.

All side by side UTV's that I've looked are 8.5ft+, and won't fit. I don't think a golf cart will have the towing ability. There must be something out there?

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    Any suggestions on a small side by side to use as a support vehicle at the track?

My must haves:

2) Small bed on the back for hauling tires / jacks. I'm ok with having to fabricate a folding bed to fit in trailer as noted above.

All side by side UTV's that I've looked are 8.5ft+, and won't fit. I don't think a golf cart will have the towing ability. There must be something out there?
    A Golf cart has plenty of towing capacity for a Formula Car.

3. The following 3 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Check out the original Yamaha Rhino ('06/'07 I believe). All the craze when they first came out, now most everybody in that market has migrated to the much larger, more powerful 4-seaters with 1000cc turbo engines. Should be able to pick one up fairly cheap and minor mods could make it fit your size requirements.

Liked: 757

You can't beat a Taylor Dunn!

https://www.taylor-dunn.com/en-us/
    Last edited by SEComposites; 11.01.19 at 12:20 PM.

Liked: 139

How about one of the original 3 or 5 wheel John Deere Gators ?

Liked: 141

Sorry for delayed response - couldn't find my pics when you posted last month.
    Here's what I did for similar reasons - based on Honda TRX 250 ATV.
    Just took off all standard bodywork and laid some 1x1 crossmembers across Honda frame.
    Worked just fine. I sold it after restoring to standard. Still have most of the aluminum
    bits and pieces if you are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 57

I put a Vegas Carts 23hp “Big Block” conversion in my golf cart when the original 9hp “powerhouse” finally gave up. It has plenty of pull and sounds pretty cool too. (If you’re into that sort of thing[emoji16]) IMG_1229.jpgIMG_2445.jpg
    George Bugg
    -----------------------------
    NovaKar
    F600

Liked: 97

I am looking for a similar thing but I further complicate things by wanting to be able to drive it on the street.Something I can carry underneath the race car which can live on the top deck of my 24 foot trailer. Something we could go to dinner or chase parts with. It helps when you tow with a motorhome. Finding something reasonably light and under 40 inches tall is tough.
    Skip Weld

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 158

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weld View Post
    I am looking for a similar thing but I further complicate things by wanting to be able to drive it on the street.Something I can carry underneath the race car which can live on the top deck of my 24 foot trailer. Something we could go to dinner or chase parts with. It helps when you tow with a motorhome. Finding something reasonably light and under 40 inches tall is tough.
    Skip Weld

Skip,

Have you considered a Mini Moke? You would need to modify the windscreen so it can be folded down but that would not be hard to do. Here is a photo of mine.

Cheers, Joe

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

I always thought something like this might work well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-dunn...v/303413252591

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by GBugg View Post
    I put a Vegas Carts 23hp “Big Block” conversion in my golf cart when the original 9hp “powerhouse” finally gave up. It has plenty of pull and sounds pretty cool too. (If you’re into that sort of thing[emoji16]) IMG_1229.jpgIMG_2445.jpg
    How does reverse work with that conversion?

My father-in-law has an old 2 stroke golf cart that he would like to modify. Concerns about going to a 4s engine regarding how to make reverse functional.

PM if you would.

Thanks!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

Have you considered a Mini Moke? You would need to modify the windscreen so it can be folded down but that would not be hard to do. Here is a photo of mine.

MGB / spridget unbolt the windshield

Liked: 0

Default Pit support golf cart

Modified golf cart with steel tube frame clad in aluminum panels. D-Ring for towing and 2" receiver that we use to insert a small bench top vise/anvil when we're in the paddock. This leaves the counter in the trailer wide open for less important things.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Skip Weld
    The Mini Moke could work for you if modified as Joe mentioned above. It also can seat 4 reasonably. I was thinking about a Sprite or Midget but it only has 2 seats. The Mk 2 Spriyes and all Midgets have trunks too, so it's easier to totes stuff. Unfortunately, the standard windshield is 42" tall with stock suspension. Installing a couple Brooklands windscreens would make it an easy fit but then you can't use a top.

Anyway, just a little out-of-the-box thinking for you!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post

My must haves:

A little late to the party, but....
    Don O'Keefe has a neat little side by side golf cart thing that seems to work very well, and should fit the size you need as well. He uses it for both his dirt track & road racing weekends. Pretty sure he said it was rather inexpensive, too. Check with him for more about it.

~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Skip Weld

How about a seven. Mine is 39" to the top of the roll bar which you wouldn't need and put some brookland windscreens on it would get it down to about 34".
    Graham

Liked: 388

Thanks for the replies.

I've been looking at all options for the past month or so.

Almost all side by sides are longer then the 94" Maximum, so they are all ruled out.

It looks like I'll be settling on a new golf cart. What I've decided to do is purchase a new or newer 2 person golf cart (I like the newer models that are fuel injected) and fabricating a fold down seat arrangement for additional rear seats / deck. Two person carts are about 92" long. Most current 4 passenger golf carts are over my 94" maximum length due to the support / step they use in the back to support the rear seats when folded down into a deck.

There are some aftermarket rear seat kits that have a fold up support that only add 2-3" to the overall length when folded up, so I am looking into those as well to save the fabrication.

This seems like the best path as I'll get a comfortable support vehicle that can hold 4 people, yet the rear seats will fold into the deck to hauling tires / ect. and it will all still be under my 94" maximum length.

Liked: 799

I saw this at Road Atlanta a few years ago.
    Seems the ideal compromise for versatility and not taking up too much trailer space.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Thread Information