Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Default Spec Tire Report Card

For the Runoffs/Majors drivers:

After year 1, what grade would you give the Spec Tire?

Comments?

ChrisZ

Contributing Member

Is any one out there?

Bueller?? Bueller??

ChrisZ

Liked: 301

**crickets**...lol, THERE'S a ringing endorsement...

Glenn

Liked: 32

Default Not Great

If the old tires were an A+ I would give these a C. You never know what you are going to get when you go out on these tires. For the Runoffs race my father went out on scrubbed 1 session tires and they were AWFUL. We believe they cost us the race. They do last longer and can get about 8 to 9 sessions on them, but they are so inconsistent, I would just rather have the old ones. The tires were clearly not tested thoroughly enough.

This is just my opinion though and others may really enjoy them,
    Graham Loughead FV #35
    Formula Vee Hall of Fame Founder

Liked: 247

I personally really like them, it for sure has reduced tire costs. I went through 2 sets with the majors I ran and in the past that would have been 3-4 sets on the old tire.

I was able to get 13-14 heat cycles out of them before they hit a cliff. Before you could only get 4-5 heat cycles on the old tires before they really fell off.

It seems that the sticker tire advantage is gone too. Before a set of new tires were almost required to run up front at a major or the runoffs, now that's not the case.

I'd give it an A rating.

Brian

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Graham,

Sorry your dad had a bad experience - maybe some people can chime in if the oily track contributed to this.

I have only put 10 heat cycles on mine in Regional use - they seem to be holding up well but car sorting issues kept me from really testing them.

Last year in the NE (regionals) we were allowed to run either old or spec, and old (55) seem to be better if fresh. Some were running old tires way past their life span just to use them up and then they were trash. Some swear by the spec tire and won races.....

Surprisingly, I believe you can over heat the spec tire by overdriving it on tracks with lots of 180 degree turns and little time to cool off - not what I expected - did anyone else see this?

An aside question - will the used tire market start to fill up with used spec tires this winter or are most people planning on running what they have to the cord?

ChrisZ

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamLoughead35 View Post
    ... You never know what you are going to get when you go out on these tires... they are so inconsistent...
    1) These tires were tested for a season by a number of competitors. This is pretty good for a tire with limited sales volume.

2) Inconsistency was never an issue that was mentioned.

3) The compound used on the FV spec tire is used on other spec tires. Again, inconsistency is not a known issue.

4) Lap tires were well below Qual times with the winner stating that it was difficult to find the best line. Track conditions were poor.

Brian

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    1) These tires were tested for a season by a number of competitors. This is pretty good for a tire with limited sales volume.

2) Inconsistency was never an issue that was mentioned.

3) The compound used on the FV spec tire is used on other spec tires. Again, inconsistency is not a known issue.

4) Lap tires were well below Qual times with the winner stating that it was difficult to find the best line. Track conditions were poor.

Brian
    I know they were tested by multiple competitors. I thought there could have been more thorough testing to develop this tire before it was dropped on us less than 2 months before the season. This post asked for my opinion and in my opinion it was inconsistent. The inconsistency wasn't just a matter at the Runoffs but running all season with 2 drivers. We still do not believe we know what is going to happen on the tires in a session.
    Last edited by GrahamLoughead35; 11.29.19 at 3:41 AM.
    Graham Loughead FV #35
    Formula Vee Hall of Fame Founder

Liked: 10

Not a fan, fronts went off way to quick. Not any cheaper and slower.

Contributing Member

Agree with Blake, Ran a new set at Laguna in July and in one session the car went from decent to a pushin g dog. granted I have done zero testing, but I ran the old Hoosiers imho were better.

Thread Information