Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 227

Default F500.us site crash?

The F500.us forum site has crashed. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Wayne Dixon?

Cory

Liked: 2

Default F500 website

I tried calling him and I have sent a text to him about the crash. I have also updated foamy. It sounds like Wayne has to fix it.

Liked: 8

It would be great if we can get f500.us up and moving again, as it is the life-blood of our cars. No ofense to this forum.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 72

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schmidt View Post
    It would be great if we can get f500.us up and moving again, as it is the life-blood of our cars. No ofense to this forum.
    Maybe someone should go bail him out so he can update the site

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 12

Default F500 site

Quote Originally Posted by mark 21 View Post
    I tried calling him and I have sent a text to him about the crash. I have also updated foamy. It sounds like Wayne has to fix it.

Confirmed. I have been in contact with the designer of the site and he has informed me that Dix will need to authorize someone else to be responsible for the site before he will get involved.

Does anyone have contact with Dix? If so, can you urge him to get in contact with the software guy to get this going.

Richard

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Richard-6 View Post
    Confirmed. I have been in contact with the designer of the site and he has informed me that Dix will need to authorize someone else to be responsible for the site before he will get involved.

Does anyone have contact with Dix? If so, can you urge him to get in contact with the software guy to get this going.

Richard
    I sent Dix a ccouple of emails but never got a response and since it was me I am not surprised!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 58

Unfortunately a lot of intellectual property lost. Oh well. I’ll stir the pot here. Converting to a bike motor. I have 593 packages for sale. I hope I can shift and be competitive.

Jns

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 72

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    I sent Dix a ccouple of emails but never got a response and since it was me I am not surprised!
    Like I said, go bail him out so he can straighten the site out

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by f500racer View Post
    Unfortunately a lot of intellectual property lost. Oh well. I’ll stir the pot here. Converting to a bike motor. I have 593 packages for sale. I hope I can shift and be competitive.

Jns

Jeremy,

Great news! Hit me up with any questions on MC stuff.

-Eric

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

Default F500 site

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Like I said, go bail him out so he can straighten the site out
    OK Clint, what jail is he in and what is the bail amount?

Richard

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

OK Clint, what jail is he in and what is the bail amount?

Richard

Wayne lives or lived in Poland Springs (yes THAT Poland Springs) Maine. Years ago he started running his own over the road trucks pulling loads for PRIME. You might remember he had a picture of his cab tractor on the F500 site. It might be he has been so busy with trucking and with his snowmobile repair business (read Maine again) that he has no more time or interest in running the site. I will try to reach him to find out what's up and report back if I can get hold of him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by captaineddie1975 View Post
    Wayne lives or lived in Poland Springs (yes THAT Poland Springs) Maine. Years ago he started running his own over the road trucks pulling loads for PRIME. You might remember he had a picture of his cab tractor on the F500 site. It might be he has been so busy with trucking and with his snowmobile repair business (read Maine again) that he has no more time or interest in running the site. I will try to reach him to find out what's up and report back if I can get hold of him.
    Eddie,
    If you make contact, let him know that I would be happy to take responsibility for the site, but he needs to let the creator of the site know that.

Richard

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by f500racer View Post

Jns
    The site still exists. We just can't make new posts or PM's to other users on it.

We can still post pictures to the galleries.

I have tried searching for Wayne through sponsors he listed on his personal web site - without success. The haven't seen or heard from him in several years.

I haven't seen any obituaries that would appear to fall into his characteristics.

Liked: 82

I checked the county for records that would indicate something has happened to him and nothing came up so hopefully he's just really busy.

Liked: 830

For anyone that is interested in pursuing this .. THIS is the 'whois' record for that URL...
    Website
    Website Title F500.us - SCCA Formula 500
    Server Type Apache
    Response Code 200
    Terms 224 (Unique: 137, Linked: 9)
    Images 16 (Alt tags missing: 0)
    Links 3 (Internal: 1, Outbound: 2)

Whois Record ( last updated on 2019-12-18 )
    Registrant Wayne Dixon
    Registrant Org Wayne Dixon
    Registrant Country us
    Registrar eNom, LLC
    IANA ID: 48
    URL: whois.enom.com
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Registrar Status clientTransferProhibited
    Dates 3,392 days old
    Created on 2010-09-04
    Expires on 2020-09-03
    Updated on 2019-08-26
    Name Servers NS1.JUSTHOST.COM (has 205,441 domains)
    NS2.JUSTHOST.COM (has 205,441 domains)
    Tech Contact Just Host Hosting
    justhost.com
    1958 South 950 East,
    Provo, Utah, 84606, us

(p)
    IP Address 173.254.30.105 - 1,431 other sites hosted on this server
    IP Location - Utah - Provo - Unified Layer
    ASN AS46606 UNIFIEDLAYER-AS-1 - Unified Layer, US (registered Oct 24, 2008)
    Domain Status Registered And Active Website
    IP History 6 changes on 6 unique IP addresses over 9 years
    Hosting History 4 changes on 4 unique name servers over 9 years
    ---------------
    What it says that's most important is this
    Tech Contact Just Host Hosting
    justhost.com
    1958 South 950 East,
    Provo, Utah, 84606, us

(p)
    -------------------------
    The registration is valid until Aug 2020. Someone could try contacting Just Host at the number listed and explain what is going on and give some justification as to just WHY the registration should be transferred to someone that can be REACHED and could take over and FIX the site. Preferably someone like the 'CHIEF' or 'President' or similar of the National F500 "group" that originated the site .. or the desire for it. As a webmaster, I always try to make sure that the actual OWNER of the URL is someone besides myself, so that, should anything 'happen' to me, someone else could easily take over. Obviously, Wayne did not consider that in this case.

It MIGHT be impossible, but ..might as well give them a call and ask what it would take. (maybe a death certificate about Wayne?) .. or something "official" that makes him 'uncontactable'. I'm sure things like this have happened before. There may be an 'easy' process available, but I'm sure the international RULES concerning transfer of URL's is getting more and more strict every minute.

Good luck.
    Steve
    (I suggest that a PERSON calling the listed phone number would be the best as a start. Personal conversations are much better at relating such issues as opposed to emails.)
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

Default F500 site

Interesting info.

I got this when I clicked and e-mailed Christian at PlanetStyles asking if he could fix he problem with the site:

From: Christian (Support) <missioncontrol@planetstyles.net>
    Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 5:33 PM
    To: Reddevilsix <reddevilsix@msn.com>
    Subject: [PlanetStyles] Re: Fw: [PlanetStyles] Re: Re: [Request received] Form submitted by: Name Richard Schmdt

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
    Your request (3177) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Christian (PlanetStyles)

Nov 26, 00:33 +01

Hi again Richard,

I'm afraid I don't know the owner and can't help. Here's some background:

The F500 forums run on an open-source forum software called phpBB: https://www.phpbb.com/community/ , it has been downloaded millions of times and anyone can create a forum by uploading that software to a web server.

While the back-end of the website is powered by phpBB, the front-end layout, spacing, colours etc are controlled by 'styles', which are downloadable add-ons that can be installed and bolted onto the software.

I am the designer and developer of one of these 'styles'. See: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/absolution/

As you can see, the Absolution style has been downloaded nearly 100,000 times. Whoever manages the F500 forums simply downloaded this free style from phpBB.com and installed it to the F500 forums. I've never met the owner.

The only information I can find about the owner is through the online WHOIS database. This is a database that publicly stores the details of whoever registered the domain name: http://whois.domaintools.com/f500.us

Here we can see that the person who owns the domain name F500.us is:

Wayne Dixon
    Poland
    Maine

+1.207*******
    pl.*****@gmail.com

I would recommend calling that number, sending an email, or even sending a letter to that address. Beyond this, I'm afraid I can't help.

If you manage to make contact with Wayne, let me know. I'd be keen to hear if you hear back from them.

Best of luck

Christian B
    Flight Commander - PlanetStyles.net

Apparently only Dix can authorize someone else to be responsible.

Richard
    Last edited by dc; 12.19.19 at 11:08 AM. Reason: contact the OP for the personal contact info

Liked: 307

Here we can see that the person who owns the domain name F500.us is:

Wayne Dixon
    Poland
    Maine

+1.207*******
    pl.*****@gmail.com

I would recommend calling that number, sending an email, or even sending a letter to that address. Beyond this, I'm afraid I can't help.

If you manage to make contact with Wayne, let me know. I'd be keen to hear if you hear back from them.

Best of luck

Christian B
    Flight Commander - PlanetStyles.net

Richard
    At least you uncovered more info than was available before.
    Last edited by dc; 12.19.19 at 11:07 AM. Reason: contact the original poster for this personal information

Richard
    Dix would be the only person OTHER THAN THE HOST that can designate a new 'responsible person' .. or a new 'OWNER'. The hosting company is 'Just Host' and if you can convince them to do it, then they CAN make the change, but they'll need proper justification. Not sure it's the case here, but people DO DIE ... or just disappear. If there is an official F500 "GROUP", then I think they might have justification to make the change.. especially if that group is NAMED somewhere on the website .. maybe with a contact name.. then THAT person should contact Just Host.

Other than that, the URL ownership will EXPIRE next August. It's still possible that Dix set it on 'autorenew' using his credit card and that renewal could go on until his credit card expires. If the URL renewal does expire, you would need to contact Just Host and try to make plans to get it at expiration. They can probably also tell you if it's set to autorenew. It is common practice these days for many companies to automatically grab and register for themselves EVERY URL that expires. They apparently assume that if someone ever wanted THAT particular URL, someone else will also want it. They grab it and hold it hostage for resale for varying amounts of extra dough. Some times it's only $10 or $20, but if it looks likely that someone (or group) would want it, the price could go up exponentially.

I just looked over the site and forums and the best thing I could find is this page.
    http://f500.us/forum/memberlist.php?mode=group&g=8

Is mark vollbrecht findable? He's at the top of the list and therefore holds the highest 'position' I could find on the site besides Dix.

BTW.. it would appear to me that the real problem on the site is that the host (JUST HOST) has changed the version of PHP that it is running. That is causing problems with depricated calls (programming calls that are no longer valid in a newer version, but were present in an earlier version). Hosts sometimes make these sorts of changes without bothering to notify their clients - it's happened to me more than once from more than one hosting company. Just Host also MIGHT be able to revert back to an earlier version if they will confirm that they MADE that change and some times they can't and leave it up to the owner or technical contact to upgrade the phpBBS forum package to solve the problem. Seems that Dix, in this case, signed himself up for all 3 - Owner, Admin, and Tech contacts.
    Steve
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 1417

I just edited the previous posts with Wayne's personal contact information in it. While he may have chosen to not keep it private with his domain registrar, he didn't volunteer to have it spread across ApexSpeed forum pages that he has no control of. If you want to contact Dix directly, his information can be found elsewhere on the internet.

Please do avoid posting other people's phone numbers and home addresses on the forums.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

You are right, Doug. it IS public information but I should have thought of that aspect before posting it on a forum. I was just trying to help..
    Steve
    Steve, FV80

Banned

Default F500 site

Quote Originally Posted by dc View Post
    I just edited the previous posts with Wayne's personal contact information in it. While he may have chosen to not keep it private with his domain registrar, he didn't volunteer to have it spread across ApexSpeed forum pages that he has no control of. If you want to contact Dix directly, his information can be found elsewhere on the internet.

Please do avoid posting other people's phone numbers and home addresses on the forums.
    Well the information was posted in hopes that someone would be able to contact Dix and get the site up and running again.

Yes a lot of bad information can be found on the internet. One of the things not easily found are phone numbers. I just did a search on Dix and came up with bogus phone numbers.

Richard

Internet scams can take phone numbers, mailing addresses and e-mails and reach out to people. I'd rather that devious people did not lurk on ApexSpeed for private contact information. If you choose to put your own info out there, that's fine, but I don't want to infringe on anyone's privacy through ApexSpeed.

Doug

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Final word on site crash

I was able to contact Wayne Dixon last evening. As I suggested he is up to his ears in snowmobile business as well as driving loads for Prime throughout the New England states. He doesn't have the time to continue with our current F500 site. He advised me that someone should start a site from scratch as the software at the present site is so old and he just doesn't have the three days needed to modernize it. He doesn't want to be bothered about this so don't call him. The current site is being automatically renewed so the info should be available for the life of the site. we will just not be able to post on it.
    That is the word on this and it will be up to someone to start a similar site or just continue to post on Apexspeed.
    Captain Eddie Capullo

Banned

Default F500 site

Thanks Eddie for looking into this and your report.

It is a shame though as all the info on the site is lost.

Richard

Liked: 82

Captain Eddie,

Please tell Dix thank you for all of his work; I've used the site extensively in the 4 1/2 years since I bought a F500 and can't say thank you enough.

Liked: 7

He wasn’t open to handing ownership of the site off to someone who would continue supporting the site?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbagsj View Post
    He wasn’t open to handing ownership of the site off to someone who would continue supporting the site?
    I suggested that and even mentioned that there were two people who said they would be glad to take over and even foot the bill which was $150/yr. but he didn't seem that interested in having anything to do with it. I asked if he would be back racing again and he said not likely. I didn't ask but he had a KBS and Rotax with a long trailer when he stopped I don't know what happened to them.

It may take me a little while to get the web site and forum running, but I just registered f500racing.com. We need an F500 forum!

Cory

36. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    It may take me a little while to get the web site and forum running, but I just registered f500racing.com. We need an F500 forum!

Cory
    Silly question, but aren't you posting in one right now?

38. The following 4 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dc View Post
    Silly question, but aren't you posting in one right now?
    no

Liked: 1111

Cory
    Can't look it up right now but would highly recommend something like Formula500.com instead.

no
    You are literally posting this in an actual F500 forum right now, yes.

42. The following members LIKED this post:

Check with the folks wo run this site. Perhaps there is a simple way to import all the stuff (files, posts etc,

Jay
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Banned

Default F500 site

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Check with the folks wo run this site. Perhaps there is a simple way to import all the stuff (files, posts etc,

Jay
    Jay, it has been proven over and over again that this site is not popular with or receptive to the F500 people.

Richard

Banned

Default F500 site

Cory

OK good. I will stop my work on a new site. Let me know if you need any help. I'm not much of a site creator but I have time on my hands.

Richard
    reddevilsix@msn.com

Jay, it has been proven over and over again that this site is not popular with or receptive to the F500 people.

Richard
    I am a major fan of F500 and have been since 1985 and I am also a big fan of APEXSPEED!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by captaineddie1975 View Post
    I suggested that and even mentioned that there were two people who said they would be glad to take over and even foot the bill which was $150/yr. but he didn't seem that interested in having anything to do with it. I asked if he would be back racing again and he said not likely. I didn't ask but he had a KBS and Rotax with a long trailer when he stopped I don't know what happened to them.
    Someone needs to convince him to let one of us take over the ownership! We keep losing each of these sites and all of the information that is on them. It’s quite frustrating for those of us that are newer to not be able to research back through the old posts to find information instead of having to ask the same questions over and over. All that information gone to waste!!! Like eformulanews and formula500.org gone!!! We need to somehow acquire all the information on all of those sites (if that information is still sitting on a server somewhere) and collect them to one area that will not go away when one person loses interest.

Liked: 1111

The "Information Age" seems to have morphed into misinformation, temporary information, lost information, and information to be stolen.

I'll take a book or a magazine any day.

Richard
    That's fine. You can patronize a site that has been around for 20 years and never removed content or posts, or one that will be gone next week because no one has any vested interest in keeping it running.

For the record, a handful of guys built that site when they couldn't follow the behavior and conduct rules here. They got themselves banned because they behaved like children at recess picking fights and then told me to go to hell.

The F500 and F600 community has always and will always be welcomed here on ApexSpeed.

50. The following 9 users liked this post:

I am not particularly computer-ept but I seem to be able to log into the old f500.us site and gather any info I want. I simply scroll down past that top part in blue and go to individual comments, Except for some of Dix's that seem to now be blank if you keep going many of his replies to questions by others are still there with useful info. I don't know if you can copy and re-paste this info to a new site or not.
    Ed Capullo
    Pit Chief
    New England Region

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information