Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Default RunOffs starting soon!

I'm got the live stream casting to my TV, can't wait to watch this!
    Rooting for Jonathon Lee, driving for Lee Racing in Florida!

https://www.scca.com/events/1992861-...#event_scoring
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Pre-race drama...

Ooof, during the parade lap of the race prior to FF, a GT1 car was smoking heavily and laying down oil. Even though he was shown the meatball flag, he stayed on track and took the green. After only a few laps, a very hard crash then brought out the all-black flag. Now, with the GT1 cars all in the pits, they're now talking about rain on the radar.
    Last edited by Jon Jeffords; 10.13.19 at 1:32 PM. Reason: their they're

Contributing Member

Default Green green green.....

John Deere green, that is. A huuuuge amount of oil dry has been laid down prior to FF race.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member

Default Ooof Part 2

Rain starts to fall heavily during FF parade lap, and everyone is brought in to pits to change to rains.

edit: and after a few minutes in the pits with a flurry of activity to change to rain setups, the rain stops briefly, then restarts. One car staying on dries.
    Last edited by Jon Jeffords; 10.13.19 at 2:32 PM.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

What's with allowing more changes than just tires?

I see, they've moved those folks who made more changes to the back. . . I've got to think they knew that it wasn't allowed, but they'd only move back a handful of spots.

In hindsight it appears that too many folks don't understand the difference between a race session starting and a race starting.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 10.14.19 at 8:47 PM.

Contributing Member

Default Do we race in the rain?

I'm confused; why are they keeping them in the pits? SCCA does allow rain racing, no? <sarc>

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post

Good question. Commentator just said that offenders will restart from the back.

Also, apparently they stopped the clock, which seems to conflict with the supps:

5.4. ... All races will be fifteen (15) race laps (49.05 miles) or 40 minutes, whichever comes first. The 40-minute clock will start when the first car crosses the timing control line at the beginning of the first scored lap and shall continue with no stoppages.

UPDATE: Race shortened to half time/distance, so moot.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Contributing Member

Default Oh snap

They just announced that the cars that made more than a tire change will be going to the back of the grid.

And I'll ask again: What. Are. They. Waiting. For ?

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Default Whew...

.... great race.

Banned

Read schedule incorrectly
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 10.13.19 at 3:19 PM. Reason: delete

Contributing Member

Default Unofficial results...

Top 10
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have much rain experience and zero RunOffs experience but why did they stop the race for everyone to change tires? Aren't we supposed to go to grid ready for the race and conditions?

BTW, I noticed that after the 1st pace lap, Jonathon Lee was called in for rains by James Lee. He might have had a cakewalk to the checker if the race had just been started.

I look forward to more experienced people sharing why this would happen.
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    I don't have much rain experience and zero RunOffs experience but why did they stop the race for everyone to change tires? Aren't we supposed to go to grid ready for the race and conditions?

BTW, I noticed that after the 1st pace lap, Jonathon Lee was called in for rains by James Lee. He might have had a cakewalk to the checker if the race had just been started.

I look forward to more experienced people sharing why this would happen.
    It was embarrassing enough that a GT1 car had just stayed on the racing surface for an entire lap greatly shortening the GT1 race. They didn't want one green flag lap FF race and cars scattered all over the place, or for everybody to get lapped in the pits changing to rains while J. Lee scooted around making the right gamble.

If the top 3-4 went out on rains and the rest of the field on slicks I have no doubt they would have waived the green on time.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 10.13.19 at 5:30 PM.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1108

Thank You very much for posting the livestream link, Garey!

We weren't able to attend as planned but work preceded viewing on the box. Watched everything from FF forward.

Thanks Again!

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

But isn't that why the Lee's changed tires to make the smarter gamble? It seems to me that they got a bum deal.

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 303

It was embarrassing enough that a GT1 car had just stayed on the racing surface for an entire lap greatly shortening the GT1 race. They didn't want one green flag lap FF race and cars scattered all over the place, or for everybody to get lapped in the pits changing to rans while J. Lee scooted around making the right gamble.

If the top 3-4 went out on rains and the rest of the field on slicks I have no doubt they would have waived the green on time.
    Thanks for the support garey,

We were just dealt a bad hand.

On the positive note I learned a lot this week and will be working harder than ever for the future.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Jonathan Lee; 09.05.23 at 5:49 PM.

22. The following 9 users liked this post:

You looked good from here.

Very nice post.

Say Hi to your dad from me.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default Runoffs FF cars penalized.....

The stewards allowed the field to come in and change to Rain Tires and called it a "Rain Race"? Teams were allowed to change to rains but could not adjust their swaybars(??????). In the matter of safety you would think they would allow it since they converted race to a "rain race" after cars were on track. Those caught adjusting sway bars were put to the back of the grid....My old Lola 640 had cockpit adjustable sway bars..... don't these newer cars?

FV

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    The stewards allowed the field to come in and change to Rain Tires and called it a "Rain Race"? Teams were allowed to change to rains but could not adjust their swaybars(??????). In the matter of safety you would think they would allow it since they converted race to a "rain race" after cars were on track. Those caught adjusting sway bars were put to the back of the grid....My old Lola 640 had cockpit adjustable sway bars..... don't these newer cars?

FV
    So you pull off track during the pace lap to change to rains, knowing you are going to be the only one on rains when it goes green and they will all be changing to rains under green. Yay! You cycle to the front. The correct strategy call.

Then, they abort the start and bring everybody in, declare it a rain race and let everybody change tires. Now, the field is all on same tires and you're stuck in the back because you didn't maintain pace during pace lap.

Then people make set up changes that were not allowed and they get penalized for doing so. However, so many did that it really didn't effect the grid order much and the guy who didn't maintain pace during the pace lap still has to start behind the people that performed prohibited changes to their car.

I guess the question is, since the race wasn't red-flagged and only the start postponed, who's to say what you can and can't do to your car on the grid? Where is that covered in the GCR or event supps?

For what it's worth, cockpit adjustable bars are permitted. Many of those folks weren't just adjusting bars, but adjusting shock clickers, canister pressure and other things you can't do from the cockpit during a race.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Lee View Post
    It should have been fair, not our fault everyone else didn't want to change to rains.
    What really made us mad was that we were forced to start last rather than regrid.
    We were just dealt a bad hand, what they should have really done is just called the green as planned.
    When I saw that you hadn't come around on the 2nd lap, I figured either something happened to the car or you guys made a brilliant call! And after waiting all that time for the start, I couldn't believe they threw you guys in the back when you were the only ones that made the right call after the first pace lap! Either start over completely or throw the green as scheduled.

On the positive note I learned a lot this week and will be working harder than ever for the future.
    Keep the positive attitude! Learning makes us better, even with some hard lessons.
    Garey Guzman

27. The following members LIKED this post:

So you pull off track during the pace lap to change to rains, knowing you are going to be the only one on rains when it goes green and they will all be changing to rains under green. Yay! You cycle to the front. The correct strategy call.

Then, they abort the start and bring everybody in, declare it a rain race and let everybody change tires. Now, the field is all on same tires and you're stuck in the back because you didn't maintain pace during pace lap.

Then people make set up changes that were not allowed and they get penalized for doing so. However, so many did that it really didn't effect the grid order much and the guy who didn't maintain pace during the pace lap still has to start behind the people that performed prohibited changes to their car.

I guess the question is, since the race wasn't red-flagged and only the start postponed, who's to say what you can and can't do to your car on the grid? Where is that covered in the GCR or event supps?

For what it's worth, cockpit adjustable bars are permitted. Many of those folks weren't just adjusting bars, but adjusting shock clickers, canister pressure and other things you can't do from the cockpit during a race.
    I missed the beginning of the race, so I cannot comment on where #177 got gridded for the restart.

However, GCR 6.7, 6.8, 69 cover the administration of the rain situation.

The field went out but was (officially) black flagged. That is how you stop a session still behind the pace car. Under a black flag, for a race, you cannot work on the car. However, since it was declared a rain race, entrants could fit rain tires. Adjusting shocks etc. causes you to restart at the back.

Of course, if everybody adjusts their shocks, there is no effective difference.

Race Control chose to do a restart in the original grid order, according to the announcers. In any case, given that there was no racing (and change of position) it makes little difference whether it was grid order or last scored lap.

The race was shortened to half time, which is permitted under rain racing rules.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Race Control chose to do a restart in the original grid order, according to the announcers. In any case, given that there was no racing (and change of position) it makes little difference whether it was grid order or last scored lap...
    They didn't go back to the original grid order for Jonathon Lee, they threw him at the back behind all the people who made adjustments in addition to changing tires. Only the guy running on slicks was behind Jonathon and probably because he knew he was in trouble unless it started drying right away.
    Garey Guzman

I missed that bit. Nonsensical.

Liked: 303

Working hard to get back out there next year!

I'm not sure why they sent us to the back of the pack, if they let everyone else change to rain tires before taking the green.

Hopefully we do our job right because if we do -

(Watch out because about this time next year everyone is going to want a DB6)
    Last edited by Jonathan Lee; 09.05.23 at 5:58 PM.

32. The following 6 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

(Watch out because about this time next year everyone is going to want a DB6)
    With a FORD!

Now get back in class, young man.

John

34. The following 3 users liked this post:

How utterly frustrating for any driver, particularly a young one.

I was going to post last night, "SCCA has gone from dream maker to dream taker" but thought it over the top.

With Jonathan's last post, now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson II View Post
    With a FORD!

Now get back in class, young man.

John
    Listen to John before he gets grumpy.....
    Garey Guzman

Liked: 23

I get the "no changes to the car during a black flag all" rule, but until Hoosier can figure out how to make a rain tire that is the same diameter as the radial slick tire, some allowance should be made so that the cars can be put in a safe condition to race in the rain. Especially when the Stewards invoke GCR 6.9 for (I assume) safety concerns to begin with.

Banned

However, GCR 6.7, 6.8, 69 cover the administration of the rain situation.

The field went out but was (officially) black flagged. That is how you stop a session still behind the pace car. Under a black flag, for a race, you cannot work on the car. However, since it was declared a rain race, entrants could fit rain tires. Adjusting shocks etc. causes you to restart at the back.
    Yes, it should cause you to restart at the back. But why didn't they? There were two cars who started behind all those who performed prohibited tasks during the race session stoppage. Where is the penalty called out for working on a car during a race black flag all or red flag?

6.7 covers the options of how a session may be stopped. (the option chosen this time was black flag all)

6.7.2 covers the working/replenishing of cars during a session stoppage.

6.8 refers to restarting a race (this race had not stopped as it never started) what started was the race session, they had not been shown the green nor had a start been aborted. (the pace car remained on track)

6.9 refers to a race being started in the dry and then being declared a rain race. The requirement is that the cars restart single file in the physical order of the the last completely scored laps. However, since this race had not been started in the dry I don't know how you apply this.

I found the wording on the situation as it applies to J. Lee 6.5.2.C.2 "A car that fails to start with the pace lap or falls out of position during a pace lap relinquishes its grid position and may rejoin ONLY at the back of the field".

Yes, it should cause you to restart at the back. But why didn't they? There were two cars who started behind all those who performed prohibited tasks during the race session stoppage. Where is the penalty called out for working on a car during a race black flag all or red flag?

6.7 covers the options of how a session may be stopped. (the option chosen this time was black flag all)

6.7.2 covers the working/replenishing of cars during a session stoppage.

6.8 refers to restarting a race (this race had not stopped as it never started) what started was the race session, they had not been shown the green nor had a start been aborted. (the pace car remained on track)

6.9 refers to a race being started in the dry and then being declared a rain race. The requirement is that the cars restart single file in the physical order of the the last completely scored laps. However, since this race had not been started in the dry I don't know how you apply this.

I found the wording on the situation as it applies to J. Lee 6.5.2.C.2 "A car that fails to start with the pace lap or falls out of position during a pace lap relinquishes its grid position and may rejoin ONLY at the back of the field".
    The start-behind-other-cars is a standard penalty. Most (nearly all) rules violations do not have a penalty specified in the GCR. The stewards use standard penalties for some infractions, for the sake of consistency.

"6.8 refers to restarting a race (this race had not stopped as it never started)" Not so. Cars went out on the pace lap and were black flagged (even though the course also remained double yellow and the pace car was still out), so the session was stopped. It was a race session, so no working on cars.

Race Control has flexibility in the manner of a restart because of the many possible situations.

GCR 6.5.2.C.2 covers situations during the pace lap. Car #177 was placed at the back for the restart. I do not know why.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 1432

Got the same screw job at the Spints several years ago. It was frustrating just watching that disaster unfold for no reason. It's the Runoffs and should not be deteriorated by pointless steward decisions.

It's not a spec class, you don't need to declare a rain race. If someone wants to change tires, that's on them. The whole "change tires only" deal is unverifiable unless you have a gird marshal for every car. The year they messed up the Sprints the car that won pulled the rear sway bar and wasn't supposed to. Did the catch that? Nope. Instead they black flagged half the field for doing exactly what we were allowed to.

Let the drivers make the call. If you have to pull the field in, do it under a red flag. Line the cars up in pit lane against the wall, and when the pace car goes back out if someone wants to pull off and change tires, that's their choice. So what if it starts raining on the 1st lap, or 2nd lap. Do you black flag the race and bring everyone in on the 8th lap? Second to last lap?

The stewards should be like the Lock Ness Monster or Yeti - never seen and only seldom talked about.

They should have been more focused on getting the idiot in the GT1 car off the track who juiced the entire track for two laps with 3 gallons of oil.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 10.14.19 at 4:56 PM.

41. The following 4 users liked this post:

Banned

The start-behind-other-cars is a standard penalty.
    Actually the start behind other cars is the required penalty for failing to maintain position on the pace lap.

From what J. Lee stated, he was expecting that to be the case and was okay with the strategy of starting DFL on rains while everybody else took the green on slicks.

That should have been the correct call and penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt
    Most (nearly all) rules violations do not have a penalty specified in the GCR. The stewards use standard penalties for some infractions, for the sake of consistency.
    So what should the penalty be for working on the car when you aren't allowed to? DQ? A stern lecture? A $1 fine? Loss of a lap? I believe they chose to work on the car (beyond tires) because they knew the penalty would be less than the "penalty" for not making said changes.

Race Control has flexibility in the manner of a restart because of the many possible situations.
    The race was not being restarted, as you can't restart something you never started to begin with. The session was being restarted.

GCR 6.5.2.C.2 covers situations during the pace lap. Car #177 was placed at the back for the restart. I do not know why.
    Because the situation was during the pace lap.

He got hosed twice. Once for them not starting the race. Second, because the rule requires him to start from the back but doesn't address what penalties apply to folks who worked on their cars during the session stoppage. They decided his infraction was worse than the others.

Liked: 14

When I saw Johnathan pull off on the 2nd pace lap I thought another stroke of genius from Race Engineer Extra-ordinaire James Lee only to see they got penalized for forward thinking. I would have loved to see the young man storm to the front but he got robbed of the opportunity, oh well onwards and upwards glad to see this did not kill his spirit.

44. The following 5 users liked this post:

I believe that I have mentioned the Penalty Guidelines before. You can find them in the SCCA File Cabinet, under Road Racing. They are guidelines maintained by the stewards program for assigning penalties for commonly-occurring infractions.

An extract:

5. Assistance During Race Session Stoppage (GCR 6.7.2.)
    Race – Restart at end of grid

Please note that the GCR almost never specifies a specific penalty for an infraction. You can almost count the instances on your thumbs (e.g. refusing a teardown).

I accept that your definition of "start" in this context is different from mine. I can assure you with absolute certainty that the GCR regards what happened as a stoppage, subject to GCR 6.7 and 6.8. And that is the definition that is operative.

As I have also said, I was not there. I cannot comment on how #177 ended up restarting from the back.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Banned

I believe that I have mentioned the Penalty Guidelines before. You can find them in the SCCA File Cabinet, under Road Racing. They are guidelines maintained by the stewards program for assigning penalties for commonly-occurring infractions.

An extract:
    5. Assistance During Race Session Stoppage (GCR 6.7.2.)
    Race – Restart at end of grid
    The question is how do you reconcile that with GCR 6.5.2.C.2? They can't all start at the back. Clearly there should be some pecking order with regards to the severity of the penalties.

A car that fails to start with the pace lap or falls out of position during a pace lap relinquishes its grid position and may rejoin only at the back of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by "John Nesbitt
    I can assure you with absolute certainty that the GCR regards what happened as a stoppage, subject to GCR 6.7 and 6.8. And that is the definition that is operative.
    My lord. I haven't heard anybody claim that the race session was not a stoppage. 6.7 speaks directly to the methods to stopping a session.

6.8 speaks to restarting of a race. Not a race session, a race. The race session starts as the cars roll onto the racing surface. The race doesn't start until the green flag drops or a start is aborted. Starts aren't aborted if the pace car is still controlling the field.

Quote Originally Posted by "John Nesbitt
    As I have also said, I was not there. I cannot comment on how #177 ended up restarting from the back.
    You didn't have to be there to know (it was broadcast live on the interwebs). He pulled off during the pace lap to change to rain tires. It went sideways when the keystone cops, ahem, stewards didn't know how to fairly handle multiple cars working on their cars during the race session stoppage and still apply a penalty to Lee.

My lord. I haven't heard anybody claim that the race session was not a stoppage. 6.7 speaks directly to the methods to stopping a session.

6.8 speaks to restarting of a race. Not a race session, a race. The race session starts as the cars roll onto the racing surface. The race doesn't start until the green flag drops or a start is aborted. Starts aren't aborted if the pace car is still controlling the field.

I am having flashbacks to an earlier back-and-forth about the meaning of "discretion".

I can assure you that what happened in the FF race was a race stoppage within the meaning of GCR 6.7 and 6.8.

I have not heard any definite statement of why #177 came to restart at the back. Has anybody from the team reached out to the Chief Steward for an explanation?
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Banned

I propose the SCCA add the following definitions to their Glossary.

Jeremy Hilled: v. past tense 1. having been screwed by the politics and poor decision making of the SCCA.
    Nathan Ulriched v. past tense 1. having been screwed by the politics and poor decision making of the SCCA.
    Jonathan Leed v. past tense 1. having been screwed by the politics and poor decision making of the SCCA.

49. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned

I am having flashbacks to an earlier back-and-forth about the meaning of "discretion".
    Yep, wonder why? Not really, that's rhetorical.

Liked: 99

After watching I've learned to always have someone you can count on to get your rains to pit lane and support a tire change. Felt bad for Robert Gross.
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Yep, wonder why? Not really, that's rhetorical.

Another entry for the Glossary:

(To) Daryl DeArman: v. inf. 1. To find new meanings for well-understood words.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

53. The following 2 users liked this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information