Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 280

Default 18 Day to the Golden Part 2 at Road Atlanta

Hi,

We are now just 18 or so days away from load in for the 50th Anniversary of Formula F and the American Road Race of Champions at Road Atlanta. As of this moment we have 34 entries including two-time FF National Champion John Robinson and four-time FF National Champion Dave Weitzenhof.

There is a track sponsored test day on Thursday, October 31.

The weekend, which begins on Friday, November 1, has a schedule that affords the FF and CF community lots of track time. If you enter the ARRC Group 4 race as well as the Right Coast portion of the weekend you get on track for two ARRC qualifying sessions on Friday, a 20 lap ARRC race and a 50th Anniversary qualifying session on Saturday and a 15 lap Club Formula F only race, a 15 lap Formula F only race and a 20 lap 50th Anniversary of Formula F Feature race on Sunday.

For the FF & CF only races we have 50th Anniversary logo 1st, 2nd & 3rd place medals on red, white and blue ribbons. We have large crystal cups and 50th Anniversary logo medals for the podium finishers in FF & CF in the Feature race. We will also be presenting our usual DUFFUS logo kill stickers to the podium finishers in each race.

Each driver will receive a packet with a 50th Anniversary logo lapel pin and cloth patch. We will have our Right Coast posters for those drivers who do not already have them.

We will be asking all the drivers to sign presentation versions of the Right Coast poster which will be presented to the FF & CF winners of the Feature race. You never know, we might also get some cheap champagne for the Feature race podium !

We will have Thursday and Friday night socials, probably at my trailer. Please bring your own folding chairs. We will be presenting the annual DUFFUS award at the Friday night social. We will also be conducting drawings for products and services from our Right Coast corporate partners including a free half set of Hoosier Racing tires to a lucky FF driver and a CF driver.

We will also be making an announcement about the 2020 Right Coast season.

On Saturday evening we will be joining the Atlanta Region folks for their ARRC awards presentation, dinner and social.
    So, if want a lot of track time, want to share a great, challenging race track with some National Championship drivers, have a chance to win some free tires and other racing products, get of that fence and enter at www.MotorsportReg.com or you can go to www.rcffs.org to get a link to registration.

Thanks,

Joe Marcinski
    #04 Royale RP24 Club Ford

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Weitzenhof at Road Atlanta for the ARRC. Wow.

Ah, the memories. I watched and/or worked the 3rd through 16th, except for the 9th and 14th.

Wish we could be there...

Liked: 3787

Mike Rand was emailing me about the Right Coast FF/CF races coming up Nov 3 at Rd Atlanta.
    A quick scan of the entrants has a few names that might be of interest.

The most significant name is Dave Weitzenhof.
    As an SCCA competitor for over 5 decades Dave has excelled in open wheel cars over the years.
    He in fact has numerous SCCA National Championships, the majority of them earned right here at Rd Atlanta.
    He first won a FV title in 1972 at the SCCA Runoffs at Rd Atlanta.
    He followed that with four championships in FF in 1977, 1979, 1981 and 1987, all also here at Rd Atlanta.
    He then won two titles in FC , first here at Atlanta in 1992 and subsequently in 1998 at his home track of Mid Ohio after the Runoffs moved there after 24 years at Road Atlanta.
    Daves total of seven [7] SCCA National Championships in open wheel cars is unmatched. And they were all, except the FV win, won in Zink and the successor to Zink, Citation chassis.

Dave told me one time that the first time he drove up to the track in State Road 53, he could see the section of the track coming down from the bridge from the highway, and was "very impressed" to say the least.

Daves long association with Steve Lathrop has weathered more ups than downs and this weekend Dave will be driving a Zink Z-10C, similar to the car he won with in 1977 and 1979.
    This car is owned by one of the fasted CF drivers, winner several times f CF at previous runnings of the ARRC, Phil Kingham.
    Phil also is in a Zink Z-10C and anyone betting against a Z-10C front row or top two steps of the podium after Sunday mornings CF race might regret making such a bet !

In the FF class one will notice the name John Robinson III, known far and wide as JR3. John is a two time FF National Championship title holder from more recent times, 2005 and 2007. While his racing has not been as often as in the past he is never a driver to discount or count out.

I hesitate to now mention another past SCCA National Championship title winner, also from here at the very first Runoffs held at Rd Atlanta in 1970, as Rand was in no way wanting to appear to be bragging or be accused of beating his own drum. That said, he Michael Rand, did in fact win Formula C in the inaugural running of the Runoffs right here. He can, and likely will, be accused of peaking early in his racing career as some 50 seasons later he does persist in racing open wheel cars. Currently a Crossle 30F with a Honda Fit motor in the CF class.
    Rand long loved the original incarnation of Road Atlanta and has told many people that the current version actually races better with the addition of Turns 10A and 10B.
    He says the "old timers" all miss the dip and the gut check at the bridge, those of us of a certain age who experienced that layout, but the current passing opportunity afforded at 10a&b makes Road Atlanta even better, in his estimation.

Also of local interest in the CF class are two Road Atlanta regulars, the very fast Steve Brooks and his cohort and friend the unlucky Don Baggett.

You will notice the name of Graham Earley entered in a Lotus 61, a very early FF chassis and certainly the oldest car in the CF race. Graham in actually a new Zealander who has been here in the US for decades and currently lives in Tennessee. Where no doubt his accent raises eyebrows !

In the FF class the local hero title would fall to Sam Lockwood whose is from nearby Cumming GA.

The FF class has numerous more youthful drivers, defined as racers who do not have white or gray hair !

5. The following 8 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

I can't comment on Riverside or Lime Rock having never been there, but have been to most of the classic road courses.

For spectating, nothing even touches the old Turn 11 at Road Atlanta. FB in particular in the mid-'70s was surreal, when fast Club guys like Rand and Kerman and Marvin and Outcault were simply outspent by guys who went on to, or were coming down from, real careers; Rahal, Cogan, Cobb, Klausler, Mead, Pumpelly, Dorsey, Bobby Brown, Jeff Wood, Freddie Phillips, and likely forgetting one or two.

Except for Klausler in '73, all the above ran in 1975, '76, and '77. Mind-blowing in retrospect.

Anyone here remember those years? The inside of 11, on either side of the bridge, is my greatest Runoffs memory. Yes, it was dangerous and I lost count of the crashes I saw there. But it separated the good from the Great, and I find that to be the essence of racing. Only regret is not seeing Gilles there, though I did at the Glen and Montreal in '78 and that was better.

It's perhaps ironic that the only driver to give his life to that turn was in an Atlantic car. I wasn't there but have long wondered if Mr. Liebler would have wanted that turn changed because of his accident. I'd like to think not, but wish him a hardly-earned RIP just the same.

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

I got lucky enough to drive the dip many times, maybe even drove it right once or twice, but there are other great spots at Road Atlanta, both to drive and to spectate. The 1-2-3 complex is exciting, as the car gets light just when you want to turn and brake. It also offers good views from inside the track, and lots of passing in one and on the uphill before 3. Turn 5 is a gut-check corner and six-seven can be seen well from inside the track and account for some macho passes and tail-wagging episodes of "excessively aggressive throttle management" The track has wonderful flow, and is an absolute blast to drive. It is steeped in Formula Ford history, and is the perfect venue for a FF 50th celebration. If you own a Formula Ford, you owe it to yourself to come to this celebration. You will be eternally sorry if you let it slip by you.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default Just go!

With about 10 days until we all leave for the "Golden Part 2", I wanted to encourage anyone on the fence, to find a car, find a driver, fix your car, fix your tow vehicle ........ whatever it takes, just be there. The 40th was a perfect storm of people and occurrences, that will never be repeated, but many people have enjoyed the various BPs this summer, and there is one last chance to celebrate the 50th. Mike and Joe may be the two most passionate FF enthusiasts that I have met, and I fully expect that attitude will be conveyed in every element of the Golden Part 2.

After a series of engine woes and blow-ups in the early 90s, I had left FF, bitter and broken. Some unknown force drew me to the 40th. When I saw the Honda package, and the wonderful racing on track that weekend, I was hooked again. That moment changed my life as it turns out. I promised myself that I would rejoin the class with a Honda powered car, and that I would be at the 50th. I won't be driving, but I will be bringing cars. My personal #13 car will be in action with a young friend driving, another car with another friend driving, and one more available.

I cannot wait to get there and see you all. Safe travels everyone!
    Last edited by problemchild; 10.21.19 at 8:31 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

9. The following 8 users liked this post:

37 people registered as of last time I looked. You should find someone to race with, on an awesome track, and find lots of camaraderie in a paddock full of open wheel cars. As a bonus, I've donated one of my FF sculptures to be a door-prize. If you can beg, borrow or steal a car, come to this never-to-be-repeated event!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

11. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    <snip>If you can steal a car, come to this never-to-be-repeated event!
    I've been weighing this option. Any leads?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post

Adrian's Swift is a steal. Come back to the dark side!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 157

Default Rice

Russ,

Call Greg Rice and rent his Reynard. Failing that get a Mygale and go for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 36

Finally signed up, pretty sure I'll make it. Not sure if the car will have a sealing coat or be wrapped by the event.

I'm not sure if I'll be running the Saturday race, if I don't I'd like to assist someone. This will be my first formula ford event and I have a LOT to learn.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BTennessen; 10.24.19 at 10:04 AM.
    Van Diemen RF78 #258

18. The following 7 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Good to see you will be able to make it Blake. It will be a fun event and I don't think you will be disappointed. Everybody is so welcoming especially in the RCFFS group. Look forward to meeting you in person.
    Graham

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    Russ,

Call Greg Rice and rent his Reynard. Failing that get a Mygale and go for the win!

The Reynard is unavailable. Simon and Cliff will be in Mygales. Three fit in the rig, so I may be bringing the RF81 if someone buys it, or a 3rd Mygale for rent. Some talk for either option ..... too soon to know ...... perhaps Mygale as a spare.

Really looking forward to this event! What a great way to finish off the season!

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BTennessen View Post
    Finally signed up, pretty sure I'll make it. Not sure if the car will have a sealing coat or be wrapped by the event.

I'm not sure if I'll be running the Saturday race, if I don't I'd like to assist someone. This will be my first formula ford event and I have a LOT to learn.
    Welcome to the addiction! Looks like you have a really nice car to take to the party. If you find yourself with nothing to do, drop by my paddock. I'll have hot chocolate, and if the car behaves, not much you will have to assist with.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Here are some pictures of that car from 1985 at Bryar, NH. when it was white and driven to the RCCA club ford senior championship by Steve Mastroianni. It was painted red for the 86 season. Those pictures are from Pocono.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

25. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 186

My first thought was - That's not a VD, that's a Zink. Looks like some grafted bodywork from a Z10. Engine cover & nose?

Liked: 757

The RF78 had side radiators so the nose is Van Diemen. The engine cover is not!

Sold to me as a 78/79 Van Deimen, many years ago. No idea where the tail came from. Never saw anything similar until this one.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by s800racer View Post
    My first thought was - That's not a VD, that's a Zink. Looks like some grafted bodywork from a Z10. Engine cover & nose?
    That, IMO, is a "Pike" tail (engine cover). Many Z10's and a few other makes used them back in the late '70's. I had one on my Z10.
    Dave Weitzenhof

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 143

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    That, IMO, is a "Pike" tail (engine cover). Many Z10's and a few other makes used them back in the late '70's. I had one on my Z10.
    Dave,

Did they only work with the short original rollbar on the Z10s? They seemed to phase out with the side fuel tanks. Are those items related?

Thanks,
    Scott

Liked: 78

It is almost go time... Loading the trailer tonight!

33. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 44

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    When I looked a the car, buddy told me the nose was out of a Reynard and the tail from a Crossle 45.But I very well might have it wrong.
    I think the car is pretty sold now and will give the owner a lot of enjoyment.

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by scott fairchild View Post
    Dave,

Did the Pike tail only work with the short original rollbar on the Z10s? They seemed to phase out with the side fuel tanks. Are those items related?

Thanks,
    Scott
    I have no info about that. Mine was still side tanks and original rollbar. I sold it in 1980 or 1981 to a fellow named Gim Chin from eastern PA.
    Dave Weitzenhof

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Scott Fairchild - I'm going to track down one of those "Pike" engine covers and buy it for you as a Christmas present. I think it would look good on your car.

38. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 143

Scott Fairchild - I'm going to track down one of those "Pike" engine covers and buy it for you as a Christmas present. I think it would look good on your car.
    I always liked them

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Holmes View Post
    It is almost go time... Loading the trailer tonight!
    Safe travels everyone!

41. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by scott fairchild View Post
    I always liked them
    I just want to see you add that much frontal area to your car & make you easier to draft!

43. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks for some history on the car, I had somehow not even thought about the fact that it originally ran side radiators.

I have meant to start a thread to see what other history I can find about it. I have the old log book with a list of names in it as a starting point.
    Van Diemen RF78 #258

45. The following 2 users liked this post:

I just want to see you add that much frontal area to your car & make you easier to draft!

It does look like an air-brake, doesn't it! I wish I were fast now, so I could say that's why I was slow.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

We ran the car with and without the engine cover back to back a couple of times and it was faster with the engine cover on.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    We ran the car with and without the engine cover back to back a couple of times and it was faster with the engine cover on.
    Guess I'll have to fall back on some more reliable excuse. But back to the original point of this thread; I am packed and loaded. Pulling out in the morning. Thursday looks wet, but the rest of the weekend looks great! It should be a blast. I hope everyone shows up and has fun, and rolls onto their trailers Sunday evening with a lot of great memories!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

49. The following members LIKED this post:

Change of plans, I will not be making this one. Picked up a bad bug and am stuck in the hospital for a couple days. Looking at doing the VDCA event next weekend.
    Van Diemen RF78 #258

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Bummer, get well quick.
    Graham

Change of plans, I will not be making this one. Picked up a bad bug and am stuck in the hospital for a couple days. Looking at doing the VDCA event next weekend.
    Hope you can make it. We have a small but high quality FF entry for the event. Lots of track time, a great Sat. night dinner/party.

Liked: 127

Any updates from today's race?
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Will Velkoff View Post
    Any updates from today's race?
    I’ll start. Absolute chaos on the grid with diverging views among the race officials on grid formation and split starts. Ended up with a split start, F5 1st followed by FF/CF. 1st time by the F5s were waived off so we were also. Second time by F5 was again waived off so, at least I, thought FF/CF would be waived off again but we got the green after all. More chaos. Brooks spun in turn 5 on the first lap so even more chaos. Phil Kingham won CF with Don Baggett and Dave Harmison joining him on the podium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin
    Crossle 35F
    Van Diemen RF02

55. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 799

Race Monitor shows a "15 minute qual session", with a 2.2 second gap between P1 and P2 ....

All "best laps" were the second or third lap; was there something unusual about the session?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 127

Yeah I was watching on race monitor and it seemed like the start was a mess. Why was the race only 14 laps instead of 20?
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 1432

Heard some folks got busted running without restrictors. Anyone with some first hand knowledge on that?

And they waived off the front group, but green flagged the second?! Huh? So a pack of cars on the first lap have to weave through a group of cars at pace car speed?
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 11.03.19 at 5:13 PM.

59. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Reid-it was not a FF with the restrictor issue.

the start of the FF was a little mixed up and maybe shouldn’t have been gridded the way it was. Why anyone would waive the start of the first split start group and give a green to the second is beyond...Im not sure why there was even a need for a split. I was watching from turn 10a-b and it was generally good racing through the field.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

61. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information