Thread: Av Gas

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Default Av Gas

After 20 Plus years of buying and using quite successfully 100LL at the local General Aviation airport, I tried last week and was flat told it was illegal for them to sell it unless it went into an airplane. Even after pleading and showing pictures of the race car no soap.

Is this just a local thing or are others seeing it.

What alternatives would anyone recommend.

Pinto powered CFC/.

Liked: 44

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    After 20 Plus years of buying and using quite successfully 100LL at the local General Aviation airport, I tried last week and was flat told it was illegal for them to sell it unless it went into an airplane. Even after pleading and showing pictures of the race car no soap.

Pinto powered CFC/.
    I'd just tell them it was going into my home built at my home hanger.

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Might be a little late now that you pleaded with them, but being here in redneck country, airboat worked last time I got some.

Liked: 1112

I'm afraid you need another airport. No amount of argument is likely to set them straight.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Look for an uncontrolled airport (no passenger service, no TSA)

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 799

Still illegal, just lower chance of being caught....

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Look for an uncontrolled airport (no passenger service, no TSA)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Liked: 482

What alternatives would anyone recommend
    Pinto powered CFC/.
    That sux! I’ve had suggested to me finding an automated pump at a small air strip. Might need a wing number. I have not done this but I’m told it worked at the local county airport.

Liked: 13

I got my Av-gas at a small self-serve pump (had to walk in), but on the way in I wrote down a tail number of one of the planes parked nearby, and never had a problem....

Good luck.

-Jim

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Buy miine at Toledo Express all the time. So do my friends. I think the BG airport has an automated pump.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Buy mine at Toledo Express all the time. So do my friends. I think the BG airport has an automated pump.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    I talked with the vendor at the airport and they instructed me exactly where to go and how to pay.
    It's a self service one.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Try another local airport. Maybe they have a website that describes their automated pump mentioned above.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 27

Default Beyond Avgas.

Pinto powered CFC/.
    https://www.vpracing.com.au/products/roo-99

http://www.racefuels.com.au/content/...ec%20Sheet.pdf

http://www.overkillgarage.com/octane-supreme.html (Contains T.E.L)

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

There's a lawyer that represents dozens of small airports and he's been feeding this crap to his clients for years.

Some states (like california) prohibit the use of leaded fuel in any street-legal car. Sometimes folks don't understand the difference. For a While Cal Speedway required us to sign affidavits to buy leaded fuel.

Go to your local airport district board meeting and complain. They usually have counsel there and he'll be compelled to address the issue with facts.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

Have a local airport here in northeast Ohio that sells it to me. But, every other airport will not, ie...Kent State University Airport. Not sure how long this will last but I have been buying for over 10 years.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 58

Default Word from an FBO manager

Years ago an FBO manager told me that Avgas on the road is illegal mostly because no road use taxes are paid. Running the fuel in an engine on private property isn't illegal. The problem is that nobody will trust that you are not going to run it on a public road. I'm lucky in that there is a small general aviation airport 10 minutes from the shop that has a 24 hour credit card pump. It's pretty easy to buy fuel when nobody will be around to debate all this.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 101

Default Av Gas

the real bottom line is no road tax on av gas, in Calif. I think they pay .50 cents per gal.in road tax, the answer just buy a plane

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 7

Pinto powered CFC/.

Steve
    there is a web site called airnav.com it shows you have a uncontrolled airport near Dayton [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=4]Dayton-Phillipsburg Airport[/SIZE][/FONT] It has self serve. You should be able to go and get avgas. if anyone ask. tell the it is for your ultra lite.

26. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Thanks to all for the replies.

Just wanted other ideas.

The place I had been going has self serve pumps and thought about going there at night when no one was on duty but not sure if the gate would be unlocked or not.

And do not want to get caught on video..,.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

If the AvGas is only for the race cars, i.e. private, non-public road use, it would not seem to be in violation of any statute I know of. If there is no violation, there is no reason to worry abuot being video taped!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

And do not want to get caught on video..,.

Wear a Ronnie Regan mask like the bank robbers do.
    Graham

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 319

Default Nr2100

See if the FBO has a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre1fv View Post
    I got my Av-gas at a small self-serve pump (had to walk in), but on the way in I wrote down a tail number of one of the planes parked nearby, and never had a problem....

Good luck.

-Jim
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 22

Default Tail Number

At my self serv airport I use NCC-1701...works fine!

33. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

I use NCC-1701 as well - that way if for some reason a tank samples bad, some poor schmuck that never bought anything won't have to drain his tanks.

Most airports are locked down these days, but just carry an inspection mirror and a flashlight. You can read the gate code from the back side of the lock. or, if you have enough reach, take a pic with your phone.

35. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 58

Default Tail number for the self serve pump

I've always just put in "000000".

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default AV gas

I just go to Modern Aircraft (Clay Lacy) at Boeing field and give them my cans they fill them I pay that simple.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Tell them it's for an ultralight. No tail number. They'll sell it to you. If it's self-serve (preferred) I use N1111 for the tail number. Our local airport uses that code for fuel sold to aircraft with no tail number. I imagine most other airports do similarly.

Cheers
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Rental, Coaching, and Data Analysis for Great Lakes Region

Liked: 38

Default Av gas

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
    Tell them it's for an ultralight. No tail number. They'll sell it to you. If it's self-serve (preferred) I use N1111 for the tail number. Our local airport uses that code for fuel sold to aircraft with no tail number. I imagine most other airports do similarly.

Cheers
    Been a pilot for over 30 years and a racer. I've been told this before at my home airport. Has more to do with who is running the FBO. The road tax is the thing. The state goes to the airport and says they can't sell to the public , just pilots. Not true. the FAA could care less. Self serve pumps are at most general aviation airports. If there is no one on duty at the airport 24 hours a day, the gates have to be open. If no one is there just pull up to the self serve pump and if you don't have a good imagination look around you and use the tail number from the closest airplane. Any number works. Pump your fuel and be on your way. If you have a small general aviation airport close to you and what to find out what they think call them and ask if they have self serve gas and can you get fuel during the day for your homebuilt. They give you a hard time just go after they close. It is not illegal. At my airport the lineman will help you pump the gas anytime day or night.

40. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    It's NOT illegal. There is NO LAW against selling Av Gas to anyone .. nor any RULE or REGULATION. It's just that the FBO jerks get it in their head and you CANNOT convince them otherwise. There *IS* a 'rule' (actually I'm pretty sure it's a REGULATION rather than a LAW) that you CANNOT pump it into a STREET CAR because there are no ROAD TAXES on Av Gas.

It is perfectly legal to buy it from anyone that will sell it to you and put it into anything you wish EXCEPT FOR A STREET VEHICLE OF ANY SORT. Race cars are just fine.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 38

Default av gas

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    It's NOT illegal. There is NO LAW against selling Av Gas to anyone .. nor any RULE or REGULATION. It's just that the FBO jerks get it in their head and you CANNOT convince them otherwise. There *IS* a 'rule' (actually I'm pretty sure it's a REGULATION rather than a LAW) that you CANNOT pump it into a STREET CAR because there are no ROAD TAXES on Av Gas.

It is perfectly legal to buy it from anyone that will sell it to you and put it into anything you wish EXCEPT FOR A STREET VEHICLE OF ANY SORT. Race cars are just fine.
    Not illegal. The state goes to the FBO operator and says you can't sell av gas to anyone but a pilot because you are not charging road tax on the gas. Therefore if you sell gas to anyone but a pilot you will be charged for the road tax and it will come out of your pocket. I have never heard of anyone being charged road tax on any fuel they sold to a car guy or racer. It is a scam. BUT if the FBO doesn't want to do it you can't make them. A possible headache for them they don't need. Believe me with the state of general aviation today EVERY FBO wants to sell gas to anyone that wants it. Don't even ask. Find a airport with self serve gas and go pump it. There are no cameras or people watching anyone pump gas. What it does is gives the FBO's a way to deny they know anything about it. So no harm no foul . Have you ever known a state worker that ever wanted to do more then they had to? They are not out looking for you at the pump.

43. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information