Liked: 65

Default Smaller aluminum fuel tank? (autocross)

Has anyone ever made a smaller aluminum tank for an autocross-only car? My search has come up empty. Rather than the 3-gallon wedge, I could make a 1.5-gallon tank with room for other ballast (if needed).

Why?
    1. It's a unique day when I burn more than a gallon of fuel, so why carry 3? Or have 1.25 sloshing around?
    2. My car has an old rubber bladder, probably from 1985. It's working fine, but the day is coming when I spot a leak and need a quick fix.

Corey

Liked: 138

Just put less in?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Liked: 310

The only fuel cell I have ever seen that is smaller than 4 gallons is the plastic JAZ one gallon junior dragster cell. The only 4 gallon cels I have seen are also JAX plastic cells for larger drag cars. The are rectangular.

Liked: 99

I don’t think there is any benefit to a small tank. It only limits how the car is used. I would try to keep it gcr legal and replace with another cell if it ages out.
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

If you aren't concerned about road-race GCR compliant fuel cell try this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...70324660261595

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    If you aren't concerned about road-race GCR compliant fuel cell try this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...70324660261595
    Wow! That's a bargain!
    I built a 1.5 gallon tank for my DMod Seven because it fit nicely behind the "passenger" seat area and it's worked well.
    I would get nervous and top up though on open long courses but I'm also running 200+ hp and 9000 rpm

Liked: 235

Your fuel cell was new in about 2000. Was state of the art at that time.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 295

That looks like the tank the top a mod guy uses. My old D mod car, YC3 had a similar tank too. The tell tale is very nice.

Liked: 553

FYI, they make balls (like ping pong balls but made to go in gasoline. I found some a while back that were about 1" in diameter. It seems like they were used by motorcycle guys. Not sure what for. Maybe motocross, maybe to prevent sloshing without carrying more fuel than needed. It might be expensive to get the quantity you'd probably need. I found them via Google, maybe Google Images.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    FYI, they make balls (like ping pong balls but made to go in gasoline. I found some a while back that were about 1" in diameter. It seems like they were used by motorcycle guys. Not sure what for. Maybe motocross, maybe to prevent sloshing without carrying more fuel than needed. It might be expensive to get the quantity you'd probably need. I found them via Google, maybe Google Images.
    Good idea!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    That looks like the tank the top a mod guy uses. My old D mod car, YC3 had a similar tank too. The tell tale is very nice.
    It's the fuel tank used on just about every Emmick kart.

Liked: 65

No one's done it? Seems like an easy way to save some weight, or free up room for low and central ballast. I'm doing a frame-up rebuild this winter, seems like a great time to change/optimize things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garry View Post
    Your fuel cell was new in about 2000. Was state of the art at that time.
    Jim, I need to start asking you more questions directly! You poured your heart and soul into this car. Thanks for the info!

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Summit has these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...SABEgITQPD_BwE

And I guess these help motorcross riders easily ready their fuel level: https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YZ25...-/253022565733
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 80

These 1 inch balls are to see how much fuel you have, if their floating around I don't know how their going to stop the fuel from sloshing around.

I had my stock fuel cell fix and with new foam feel so much better knowing the fuel isn't moving around and one more thing not to think about IS running 3 gal's or more for weight and never to run out of gas.

Ben
    Last edited by CM/FFdriver; 08.15.22 at 9:12 PM.

Liked: 20

Yep, last week I built an aluminum tank for my Van Diemen.

At Nationals I was smelling gas in the trailer, no drips or liquid visible. After we got home the fuel level was lower than when we loaded car in Lincoln. When I pulled bladder out of car I found the front corners were moist with fuel.

I need three gallons to make weight so built new tank with 4 gallon capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by CM/FFdriver View Post
    These 1 inch balls are to see how much fuel you have, if their floating around I don't know how their going to stop the fuel from sloshing around.Ben
    Good point. In my case I had the balls under some foam. My goal was to decrease the capacity of a fuel surge tank (not the cell).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default fuel

Will they have fuel available on site at Nats? I assume yes. If yes what will be on offer? I normally run premium with no alcohol.

Liked: 310

There is no fuel on site. The local Harley-Davidson dealer has 95 octane if you get there early.

My car has an old rubber bladder, probably from 1985. It's working fine, but the day is coming when I spot a leak and need a quick fix.

Corey
    I was just thinking about you Corey!

That fuel cell has got to be about 30 years old.
    Jim

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    It's the fuel tank used on just about every Emmick kart.
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_pants View Post
    No one's done it? Seems like an easy way to save some weight, or free up room for low and central ballast. I'm doing a frame-up rebuild this winter, seems like a great time to change/optimize things.

Jim, I need to start asking you more questions directly! You poured your heart and soul into this car. Thanks for the info!
    I was going to say to search Kart fuel tanks and you will find a variety of tanks in the size range you are looking for.
    Craig Butt

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    There is no fuel on site. The local Harley-Davidson dealer has 95 octane if you get there early.
    Maybe I'll just bring my regular fuel along. Anybody know how long the course is?

Historically, c
    ourses for Nationals are about 2/3 of a mile to just under a mile.
    Jim

Liked: 80

Or 72 to 80 sec long.

I have a 3.5 gal tank that lasts 10 runs on a 55 sec course and will have about 1 gal left.

Ben

Contributing Member
    Liked: 313

Here in the UK we're not mandated fuel cells, so foam-filled aluminium tanks aren't unusual in FF, etc. Making one the same shape as the lower half, say, of your existing cell should be an straightforward job for any good fabricator.

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information