Liked: 482

Default Any use one of these antennas: Flexible “blade whip”?

I still need an antenna. This looks like it could be easily mounted flat against the top or back of the roll bar:

https://www.racingradios.com/collect...ternal-antenna

curious if anyone has tried one or one like it.

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I still need an antenna. This looks like it could be easily mounted flat against the top or back of the roll bar:

https://www.racingradios.com/collect...ternal-antenna

curious if anyone has tried one or one like it.
    No radio expert here, but...
    One thing I remember is that antennas work best when their length is perpendicular to the direction the signal is coming from. Also taping to the steel rollbar may cut its effectiveness in some directions.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

just guessing - but that looks to me like something that would work best on something like a trans-am or fiberglass sedan. looks like it doesn't need a ground plane, attach vertically inside the b-pillar, on a window, or someplace like that.

flat patch antennas that are designed to radiate from a horizontal position do exist but I don't think this is one of them, and those antennas rely on the right geometry between transmitter and receiver (think of one on the bottom of an aircraft).

Default Darn...

I thought I had an easy solution.

This one looks racy and I think DaveW runs it but I’m not sure how I’d do the hole (I want to mount to chassis with ground plate so body goes over):
    https://www.racingradios.com/collect...b-gain-antenna

This is what I’m used to in other cars I’ve done:
    https://www.racingradios.com/collect...cts/cak-mini-8

Liked: 3279

Default Club Racing Radios Shark Fin Antenna

I got my radio stuff from Club Racing Radios: http://clubracingradios.com/main.sc

Mark is a great guy and you won't get better stuff or better service and definitely not at his low prices.

This is what I have - $48
    http://clubracingradios.com/Shark-Fin-Antenna-SHKFN.htm
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 268

Default radios

I am on phase 4 of trying to get any damn kind of radio to work with my car. All have worked fine on the grid or in the paddock but were completely useless on the track. Phase 4, digital radios, shark antenna with ground plane forward of the steering bulkhead, etc, etc,. Stay tuned phase 4 being tried at Buttonwillow next weekend with hopes that this is the final solution. Based on my previous experience I sure as hell wouldn't place a bet in Vegas! Stay tuned for the results!

Jerry, I used to be kind of good at RF, I'll come by and have a look

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

I use those whip antennas in conjunction with digital radios- great reception and range. They are Velcro’d along the top rail of the driver’s compartment behind the bodywork (VD F2000 car).
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

so it uses the tube behind it as the ground plane? and in a horizontal orientation?

Liked: 278

We have used them on our Indycars, Indy Lights and Pro Mazda cars at various times. They work fine.

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Kehoe View Post
    I am on phase 4 of trying to get any damn kind of radio to work with my car. All have worked fine on the grid or in the paddock but were completely useless on the track. Phase 4, digital radios, shark antenna with ground plane forward of the steering bulkhead, etc, etc,. Stay tuned phase 4 being tried at Buttonwillow next weekend with hopes that this is the final solution. Based on my previous experience I sure as hell wouldn't place a bet in Vegas! Stay tuned for the results!
    I think your phase 4 will be the answer, Jerry. I switched from my 20 year old Motorola analog radios earlier this season to Motorola digitals and could not be happier. For the first time in 20 years, I can hear everything my spotter (wife) says...sometimes more than I really want to hear!!

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Please do post your experience.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Quote Originally Posted by racerweav View Post
    I think your phase 4 will be the answer, Jerry. I switched from my 20 year old Motorola analog radios earlier this season to Motorola digitals and could not be happier. For the first time in 20 years, I can hear everything my spotter (wife) says...sometimes more than I really want to hear!!
    I found that not all parts are the same. I have Vertex digitals and was having problems. Dropped by Sampson and had them test my radio and adapter. I had bought the adapter from Rugged and it seemed to be okay. The guys at Sampson told me Rugged's supply is inconsistent quality. I thought they were just selling me, but after 30 minutes of checking my radios, etc. I bought their adapter - heck they spent the time, etc.

But I can tell you, just looking at the adapter there is a significant quality difference. I've only had 2 opportunities to test in car since then and my radios now work! My car kit and helmet kits are from Rugged, but 1 bad piece can kill the whole deal.
    (btw, I bought 2 adapters from Rugged and neither worked right - that's why I assumed there was a problem with my radios).

So, don't give up. Get some professional help...

Default radio report

Phase 4 tried at Buttonwillow this past weekend. No doubt the digital radios are much clearer than the old analog but our problem was very low volume even at highest setting. We reverted back to my old simple Talkabout radios which marginally worked. Talked to the radio supplier (supplier of new digital radios) who indicated he can actually turn up the volume internally up to 100% more. He suggested we try 60% more since turning it up also may bring in more background noise. Sent radios back to them and will update after the next event in early Nov.

Liked: 65

I’ve been using the flat antenna mounted to the inside of the cockpit side panel bodywork on my Piper FF. Used with Motorola digital radios and I’ve never had any issues with reception. Works perfectly for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradHayesRacing.com

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Default Volume

I have noticed different volume levels with different radio harnesses, and with different ear buds. Also, the helmet mic can go bad, causing static and low talk volume. The best clarity I have found is with custom ear molds and a new wire harness.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Phase 4 tried at Buttonwillow this past weekend. No doubt the digital radios are much clearer than the old analog but our problem was very low volume even at highest setting. We reverted back to my old simple Talkabout radios which marginally worked. Talked to the radio supplier (supplier of new digital radios) who indicated he can actually turn up the volume internally up to 100% more. He suggested we try 60% more since turning it up also may bring in more background noise. Sent radios back to them and will update after the next event in early Nov.

Can you list out what exactly you are using in each piece (radio brand and model, harness manufacturer, etc.)?

Default racing radios

Can't tell you exactly the model, mfr, etc but I got everything in a set from Sampson Racing Communication in Ventura. All new from radios to helmet, wiring, shark antenna, cables, etc. It is their base model digital set. Since volume was fine with my old Talkabout radios the volume adjustment in the radio itself which they are going to adjust to a level 60% higher internally we should be fine.Ear buds are new and custom made from them.

Default radios

Update on the radios I installed and am happy to report that Sampson modified the volume control in the radio internally to increase the sound by 60% which in the first test helped a great deal. Due to a clutch cylinder problem we were not able to finally test the package but I'm confident that the issue was solved. If not it can be tweaked up to 100% according to them. With the digital sound it is very clear. The only modifications I have made have been to create a channel in the ear buds to be able to hear more ambient sound as it was too quiet and I couldn't hear enough of the motor sound.

Liked: 270

I had horrendous problems trying to get radios working in my P2; massive ambient noise, couldn't communicate either way unless on grid.

Finally chased those problems away this year. Custom earbuds were a big part of the solution, along with a new crew radio harness. Then they could hear me, but very noisy, and I could at least hear them intelligibly over the engine. Moving the radio itself to the other side of the cockpit got it away from all the wiring, which removed the ignition interference (and this on an engine with coil-on-plug ECU-driven ignition!), and I could understand them. But only after I made sure to place the radio mike boom right on my lips, without my nomex head sock covering my lips, could they understand me.

Every little bit is critical - even the PTT button/wiring can be an obstacle, as the voice signal goes through that too, it seems, and that can ruin your transmissions as well...

And this was all with old analog radios; still contemplating the upgrade to digital over the offseason... we'll see... Sampson does have a smokin' deal right now on a complete digital setup, something like $750...

Seems like, in every car I've run radios in, if you make the volume high enough to be almost painful on grid, it'll be about right on track...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Default radios

The system I have is the $750 special digital setup. As mentioned in my previous posts it is now working pretty well as compared to the nasty experiences in the past. Sampson was able and willing to help all the way even with the low cost equipment.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Use report

I wanted to report back:

I mounted the flat flexi antenna on the forward part of the chassis above the steering wheel. I had a good test of it as I had a small fire in the engine at on the far back side of MidOhio, under the bridge by 10. So no line of sight, down in a valley, fairly far away. I had good clear communication with crew back in the pits. So I give this antenna a thumbs up for ease and range.
    Attached Images Attached Images

26. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default Flat Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I wanted to report back:

I mounted the flat flexi antenna on the forward part of the chassis above the steering wheel. I had a good test of it as I had a small fire in the engine at on the far back side of MidOhio, under the bridge by 10. So no line of sight, down in a valley, fairly far away. I had good clear communication with crew back in the pits. So I give this antenna a thumbs up for ease and range.

So do you have any details on this flat antenna? Make/model/source? Trying to sort out the same type of problem in my FF. TIA.
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Godula View Post
    So do you have any details on this flat antenna? Make/model/source? Trying to sort out the same type of problem in my FF. TIA.
    I got this one: https://www.sampsonracing.com/Racing...hf-stealth.htm

They were good to work with. You might call them if you aren’t sure what end you need.

Thread Information