Liked: 95

Default Formula car engine separation lift

I purchased my FF a few years ago and at one point had to remove the engine due to damaged valves due to missed shifting. I used my engine hoist to split the engine from the frame which was a PITA to separate and worse to re install. I had seen people that had nice aluminum overhead gantry cranes that they could assemble any where but looked like you needed a lot of room to store them. I do 95% of my work on the car by myself, hence need to find a simple way to do whatever needs to be done on the car. For my situation, I came up with an easy solution to splitting the car and didn’t take up much space. I made a simple A frame lift I could place over the car that would support the front of the drive train as I disconnected it from the frame, then roll both backwards. With the lift I can install or the engine in 20 minutes or have it out in 5, assuming everything has been disconnected. It’s easy to store and has saved me at the track a number of times. It has a simple Eye bolt that connects to the front of the engine, or I can sling the engine if I have to remove the bell housing from the engine after the drive train has been removed from the car.
    If anyone is interested, I can send you directions on how to make one. I don’t have mechanical drafting programs at home, So I don’t have a formal model and print. I made up a short and simple directions and material list that should cover building one assuming you have decent welding skills and have some steel fabrication ability.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 58

What a great idea, well executed. I could have used it last month. I'll have a copy of the plans thank you very much.
    tomallan57@sbcglobal.net

Liked: 110

Fantastic idea. I think I will build two; one for the engine, other for the gearbox. I imagine one at each end of the car could easily get it onto the stands too. A proper gantry can take up lots of space and I have too much to take trackside already. Can you send me the plans? Either PM or mark.elder@cdhb.govt.nz. Thanks in advance.
    Mark

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Copy 4 me 2 Please

PM here, or chainplates-AT-hotmail-DOT-com

Great idea - Thanks for sharing!

Cheers - Jim
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

Liked: 301

Default "Lift" drawings...

PM sent.

Liked: 37

Default Yes, Please

Smith0290@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Greg Smith

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Great idea - perfect size to stick in the trailer. Hit me up too! cade@wrenchaholics.com. Thanks!

Cade
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Rental, Coaching, and Data Analysis for Great Lakes Region

Liked: 68

I like it!
    craig71188@hotmail.com

Please and thanks!
    Craig Butt

Default Car lift drawings

I'll send the drawings out tonight. I'll add the drawing to this thread as well, getting more requests that I expected.

I won't be racing at the Runoffs but will be there. If anyone wants one and doesn't have the time or place to make one I can make one and bring it there, $225 delivered to the track.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 20

Looks great and stores easily. Can you send me a copy of plans lentumenas@gmail.com

Thanks Lenny

I tried to upload the directions but the file is over 2 meg, due to the pictures, even with them compressed. Looks like you will have to send me a message and I can send you the directions. I have the material list with it.

Chris

Liked: 1

I would also like a copy of your plans. Thank you. mikekondrla@gmail.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Me too. Please send me a copy of the plans and a material list. Thank you, Steve

Liked: 830

Quote Originally Posted by cjsmith View Post
    I tried to upload the directions but the file is over 2 meg, due to the pictures, even with them compressed. Looks like you will have to send me a message and I can send you the directions. I have the material list with it.

Chris
    With his permission, I have uploaded Chris' files to my website where anyone can download them. Links...

http://www.WedgeRacing.com/CJS/Car_l...mith_2019.xlsx

and if you're scared, or your browser won't allow you to open an Excel file directly, there's

http://www.WedgeRacing.com/CJS/Car_lift_CJSmith_2019.zip

Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

16. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Been awhile since I saw something new and cool for formula cars. That was thinking out of the box.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Thread Information