Thread: Muffler rebuild

Liked: 5

Default Muffler rebuild

I'm replacing the fiberglass packing in my muffler and I noticed there's no stainless mesh between the perforated core and the fiberglass packing material. From what I've read there should be a stainless mesh between the two to act as a heat barrier and I'm guessing this might explain the the short life of the previous packing. Any suggestions on what to use for a stainless mesh screen? It's a custom made muffler with a core about 15" long.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by openwheeler37 View Post
    I'm replacing the fiberglass packing in my muffler and I noticed there's no stainless mesh between the perforated core and the fiberglass packing material. From what I've read there should be a stainless mesh between the two to act as a heat barrier and I'm guessing this might explain the the short life of the previous packing. Any suggestions on what to use for a stainless mesh screen? It's a custom made muffler with a core about 15" long.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Not that this is going to answer your question, but...
    I never had anything other than the perforated core between the flow path and the absorbing material. When I ran fiberglass packing on my Zetec, it would maybe last 2 sessions before it melted into little balls. Even the SS "scrubble" I eventually wound up using eventually deteriorates from the heat. I had to replace that almost every race. Luckily, in the FRP series I don't have to run a muffler.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

I've used stainless steel pads and unwound them, then wrapped them in a bit of a longways spiral up and down the perforated tube.
    Takes a bunch of them. I think I got them from McMaster Carr.

Chris

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Fiberglass is probably not up to the temperature. On my old DSR (Suzuki GSXR1000) I used to repack the muffler with ceramic fiber or rock wool batts. Both seemed to last three or four events.

Thread Information