Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Default Stupid Ideas and how to class them?

So, my buddies and family and I just had a ball at the Empire hillclimb here in Michigan, and are already thinking of next year. We brought a 98 Van Diemen Zetec out and had a good quick time, despite struggling with grip and gearing. And it's got us thinking stupid thoughts.

I happen to also have a 94 Van Diemen that really isn't all that competitive in the FC world, though it's just fine for CFC. However, the engine is waiting on a rebuild, and I can't help wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to build it without the class restrictions. I could overbore it and slap some pistons in and go have fun. I also have some stupid ideas about a spare turbo that I've had sitting on the shelf, and so forth...

If we were to take our 94 FC and stick a small turbo in it, add large wings and large tires, cooling fans to the radiators, and a decently sized battery to handle all the start/stops of hillclimb or AutoX use... would there be an AX class we could run for shaking down and fun? Not interested (AT ALL) in being competitive, just in whether or not we'd get turned away.

Also wondering if there are suggestions for bias ply tires that are SUPER soft and don't need the warmup cycle of our typical road course stuff.

Any and all ideas, stupid or otherwise, are welcome. I'm just looking to have fun with this build and have a place to play, and have no idea about the AX rules and little inclination to learn any more about them than needed to show up and enjoy myself.
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Rental, Coaching, and Data Analysis for Great Lakes Region

Liked: 74

Default AM

You'd be perfectly legal in A Mod

Barry Ott
    CM '95 VD/Honda

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 310

I don't know about your region, but some offer a run-what-ya-brung Fun class. The Fun class is not eligible for points.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 106
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
    However, the engine is waiting on a rebuild, and I can't help wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to build it without the class restrictions.
    Most definitely can be. You can get higher and more reliable HP without the class restrictions. The other sharp side of that sword, is without those class restrictions somebody with a bit more money will get even more HP than you.

I'd target whatever HP/TQ numbers you are comfortable with pushing and maintaining the transaxle. Once you decide what those numbers are, you can explore the least expensive way to get a reliable motor to that point.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 482

What can the gearbox handle? That seems like it might be the bigger ? than class in what you decide.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Sticking a Sierra head on there... now that's an idea!

The trans question is a good one. I've heard about 150-160 lb-ft of torque is about all the LD200 can take. Turbo would likely (even a small one) blast right past that. But a good head and some ITBs off a motorcycle could make really nice power without the big torque hit. I think we will still be shooting for around 200-225 hp, but keeping torque deliberately low is a must.

And motorcycle carbs or ITBs, higher compression pistons, an overbore, and a decent cam... we could make plenty of power for very cheap. Cheaper than stock, for certain.

I'm not worried about someone finding a better way/faster way, being competitive... This one would be all about building something fast and fun out of a car with nearly no market value.

Sounds like AutoX has places to play no matter what, which was what I was hoping. There's only one hillclimb in Michigan, a few in neighboring states... but lots of AX.

Thanks guys
    www.wrenchaholics.com

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 904

Typically, Regionals will include FS in the open wheel/sports racer group. I have seen a number of cars that had been modified out of their 'base' class run in FS.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Typically, Regionals will include FS in the open wheel/sports racer group. I have seen a number of cars that had been modified out of their 'base' class run in FS.
    Yup, that's the case around here as well for road race stuff. Not sure if this one will get back on road course when we're done - maybe, but we have other, class legal FCs that are more competitive for that. (96, 97, 98 Van Diemens).
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Liked: 106

John Haftner (pretty sure he's on Apex - tuiguy) does knox mountain hill climb with a turbo engine and a MK9. He's made it last for quite a few years, and is, repeatedly, king of the mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzWviwTnUlo

I'd say do it (it, of course, being sierra head, ITBs, injection, and a turbo - why not?), and avoid the hard launches/burnouts to save the trans any undo stress.

Sounds like loads of fun.
    Last edited by Gary_T; 09.16.19 at 5:51 PM.
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 41

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
    Sounds like AutoX has places to play no matter what...
    Well, A mod isn't an "unlimited" class, there are basic rules (like weight, size, safety, etc). But, putting some wings and a small turbo on a kent/LD200 could be done safely and within the rules.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Saving the transaxle is probably your biggest concern.
    That being said I've been running somewhere in the vicinity of 215 hp and maybe 140ft/lbs through a Spitfire diff for decades and the fusible link seems to be the relative lack of traction. I've got around 670 lbs on the rear (driven) wheels and no downforce though.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information