Liked: 1108

Sweeeet!

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Wahoooo!
    Great job Reid Hazelton.
    Looks like he smoked 'em. Pace a full second + per lap on everybody every session if I recall what I saw, correctly.

Well done!

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 896

Times? Link please.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Times? Link please.
    Jay,

https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Session/6827211

Liked: 482

Default Pics

Anyone know anyone who has/is posting pics of all the cars? Would love to see...

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

only 2 laps? ors something wrong with the app?

Liked: 44

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Liked: 1112

Kautz actually managed to hang onto his tail until the last lap or two today. Compared to yesterday when Reid just ran away and left everyone by a gap I informally timed over 15 seconds only a few laps in. Watching him (and Kautz, for that matter) from the grandstands as they flew through Turn 1 was a real pleasure. Nobody else looked so well hooked up.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 186

Not direct knowledge but I understand that someone may have oiled the track just past the kink. One car lost it and hit the barrier, bounced back onto the track and collected several more cars. One driver described it as a "debris field" and had to go onto the grass to avoid parts and pieces. Don't know about the condition of the driver but apparently someone had to be cut out of their car although he was reported to be sitting up and talking to rescue personnel while they worked on him.

Liked: 29

Nice run Reid

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by s800racer View Post
    Not direct knowledge but I understand that someone may have oiled the track just past the kink. One car lost it and hit the barrier, bounced back onto the track and collected several more cars. One driver described it as a "debris field" and had to go onto the grass to avoid parts and pieces. Don't know about the condition of the driver but apparently someone had to be cut out of their car although he was reported to be sitting up and talking to rescue personnel while they worked on him.

Can only add that another driver reported someone blew a radiator hose causing the accident. The drive injured suffered a broken leg.

Liked: 1432

Thanks everyone. It was really great to be back - not just in the car but back at the track and seeing all our old friends and making new ones. I'll have a write up in a day or two.

The race was only about 3 laps. The track was drying, and given all the different asphalt colors over the years it was really hard to identify the wet spots. It's been a decade or more since I was in a drying condition and Tim was way braver than I was the first two laps.

On the pace lap I was thinking this wasn't going to end well when the entry to the carousel was wet, but the exit was dry and the entrance to the kink was dry but the exit was wet. From what I heard a car went off in the Kink, and got collected by a car or 3. There were 4 cars, all with heavy damage, when I want through. Smartly, they called the race. It looked bad, and I am very happy everyone was ok.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 09.16.19 at 8:42 AM.

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Video shows there was a substantial puddle on the edge a little past the apex of the kink, inside the racing line but still available to cause trouble.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Video shows there was a substantial puddle on the edge a little past the apex of the kink, inside the racing line but still available to cause trouble.
    The puddle at exit of the kink, off line to the inside was still there at 1pm for the CF race.
    Rumor was that the car was facing counter race for a fair bit of time with the gentlemen waiving arms frantically and no flags were being displayed.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member Gary Godula's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default Flags were out.

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    The puddle at exit of the kink, off line to the inside was still there at 1pm for the CF race.
    Rumor was that the car was facing counter race for a fair bit of time with the gentlemen waiving arms frantically and no flags were being displayed.
    As I approached the kink on lap 2, sitting approximately 20th place, yellow was out. A Crossle had apparently gone wide on exit of the kink, bounced off of the outside wall, then the inside wall, and was sitting on track, drivers left of center, facing traffic, no wheels or nose bodywork on the car, waving frantically. (There was no oil on the track, just the puddle off line on the inside of the exit of the kink. The track was still slightly moist in that area, so not at maximum grip.) The 2 club cars in front of me and Mark Davison behind me all immediately moved drivers right and cleared him. There was a line of cars behind us with limited visibility, and I suspect that someone did not see the Crossle until it was too late. Tim Koch said that by the time he got there, in 30th to 40th place, there was a lot of smoke, no visibility, and the track was blocked by 3 cars.

Has anyone heard how the driver is who had to be extricated from his car?
    Gary Godula
    '88 Reynard FF88
    SCCA Club Racing / Solo #57 FF/CM

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Driver was indeed waving frantically, but no more so than the flaggers at the kink. There was also a yellow light, and displayed yellow one station before that. Just a mess at a very high speed section.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Congratulations Reid!
    Got to meet him face-to-face for the first time and just like his posts sound, he's a great guy with a cool dad!
    His car is beautiful too (although I'm not a fan of the cheese grater rotors - I had to diss ONE thing or he might get a big head)

Regarding incident, I started 11th and was around there trying to get by the 5 cars battling in front of me and the first time we went through the kink and back straight, I saw some spray. The orange car was pointed at us and there was debris in the road that Bob Haitle ran through as people in front of him dodged the debris at the last second. I guessed right and missed everything. I don't remember seeing any other car at that time but hopefully my video worked and I can see for sure. Lot's to do now that I'm back at work after another long vacation!
    Last edited by Garey Guzman; 09.16.19 at 5:28 PM.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

24. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 146

One of the guys who was in out pit was involved in the incident. He said that the car was stopped in the middle of the track pointing the wrong way. He clipped it with his front right, ripping it off. The next car hit it head on nose to nose at very high speed. The stationery car was a total wreck. He said he has video, but he is in transit now, he probably won't get a chance to post it soon.

We heard later that he had a broken leg or ankle. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Congratulations Reid!
    Got to meet him face-to-face for the first time and just like his posts sound, he's a great guy with a cool dad!
    His car is beautiful too (although I'm not a fan of the cheese grater rotors - I had to diss ONE thing or he might get a big head)
    How do you think I grate all that Parmesan?

Pleasure meeting you too my man. Wish we had more time to talk with everyone.

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Driver of the red Zink did suffer a severly broken lower leg (both bones broken, plus a very badly fractured section.) Good guy from Colorado. I haven't talked to him, but he was alert enough in the ambulance to request they stop and open the door when he saw one of our other Colorado drivers walking in the Paddock,
    as he wanted to tell him where they were taking him, etc. (Hospital in Sheboygan) We did not get the story from him as to what happened. The only video I have seen was from a car well back from the incident. Yellow waving wildy at the Kink as he went thru, a bit of smoke up ahead and then suddenly a LOT of smoke and debris in the air. And yes, the puddle just past the exit of Kink was there, off line to driver's right, but there nonetheless. I saw three other badly damaged cars in addition to the very badly damaged Zink.

And Congrats Reid. I was looking forward to seeing a full length race of course, and I'm sure you were too.

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Contributing Member Andrew Stein's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default Mostly accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Godula View Post
    As I approached the kink on lap 2, sitting approximately 20th place, yellow was out. A Crossle had apparently gone wide on exit of the kink, bounced off of the outside wall, then the inside wall, and was sitting on track, drivers left of center, facing traffic, no wheels or nose bodywork on the car, waving frantically. (There was no oil on the track, just the puddle off line on the inside of the exit of the kink. The track was still slightly moist in that area, so not at maximum grip.) The 2 club cars in front of me and Mark Davison behind me all immediately moved drivers right and cleared him. There was a line of cars behind us with limited visibility, and I suspect that someone did not see the Crossle until it was too late. Tim Koch said that by the time he got there, in 30th to 40th place, there was a lot of smoke, no visibility, and the track was blocked by 3 cars.

Has anyone heard how the driver is who had to be extricated from his car?
    I was one of six people who witnessed the accident after the exit of the kink. The driver never hit the outside wall, just losing control on the curb and spinning backwards to the inside wall, then bouncing back on to the track facing traffic. No apparent oil or blown hose; just seemed a mistake on a still slippery track. The next 20 seconds or so were awful, as we saw cars still at speed trying to dodge the stopped driver, frantically waving. As people avoided him there was more contact and the debris field developed. Cars continued to arrive at speeds not commensurate with a waving yellow. My wife was one of the other 5 spectators and was sure upon hearing the near head-on impact of a speeding car to a stopped one she had witnessed a tragic accident. Fortunately - maybe miraculously, that was not the case - but there is a driver with serious injuries largely due to unlucky and avoidable circumstances.

Lots of things could have prevented this outcome. A runoff area to collect cars that make this type of fairly common mistake is one. Displaying a waving yellow two stations before the incident may be another. A third is that perhaps a standing yellow for VSCDA needs to mean more than "no passing", and include a requirement to slow down - a difficult judgment call for racers.. One thing that is clear is the current protocol is insufficient to protect us from what ought to be avoidable harm.

I'm also a bit curious how the two race leaders came back around to the crash area when the track went red. it seems they should have been stopped before that point.

I don't know the answers, but know what I saw didn't work well. Ignoring this, it could be you or me the next time. We can certainly do better.

30. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Checked out the video.
    He was ahead of our group and yes, yellow flag started waving in the kink as I approached, spray still coming up. The car had just come to a stop facing us on the left third of the track with it's left rear corner missing, driver waving people to the our right. Nothing visible from the back camera as we went out of site.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Stein View Post

I'm also a bit curious how the two race leaders came back around to the crash area when the track went red. it seems they should have been stopped before that point.

I don't know the answers, but know what I saw didn't work well. Ignoring this, it could be you or me the next time. We can certainly do better.
    I can add to this part. Tim and I were the only one through the accident (I think), as by the time we went through T5 the board displayed there said 'Continue around'. There was a good gap from Tim to 3rd, and at that point they decided (rightly) to pull people off at T5 than have 50 cars try to snake through there and slow the EMT response.

33. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 899

On way into the Kink on what I think was the 1st lap (I started 19th but was up a few by then) a car 3 cars ahead of me most definitely blew something at entry to the Kink! My entire visor was coated instantly, looked like oil to me. Large billow of some smoke and the driver entered the pits that lap. The accident occurred after I went thru, and the next time around I saw the single car in the track sitting counter race - poor fellow must have been terrified. After I went thru, the secondary accidents took place and I am told the track was blocked and the race ended. I think scoring went back to the last completed green lap (2nd), hence the results you see.

I hope the injured driver is ok

best
    bt

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by billtebbutt View Post
    On way into the Kink on what I think was the 1st lap (I started 19th but was up a few by then) a car 3 cars ahead of me most definitely blew something at entry to the Kink! My entire visor was coated instantly, looked like oil to me...
    I heard it was a freeze plug that came out...maybe there was antifreeze in the coolant (a BIG no-no) that made it look like oil.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default interesting bodywork

I've seen a couple of pictures of Reids car showing the very different high exhaust and the wrap-around cockpit sides. Is that something you've developed just for this car?

I've seen a couple of pictures of Reids car showing the very different high exhaust and the wrap-around cockpit sides. Is that something you've developed just for this car?
    Yup. Those things and the side pods I did 5 or 6 years ago.

Liked: 83

Default Bill Stoler Photography, Eric

Eric - go to Bill Stoler Photography,

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Anyone know anyone who has/is posting pics of all the cars? Would love to see...

Thread Information