Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default McLaren orange paint

Thinking about a fresh paint job over the winter and always wanted to do McLaren orange. Looking at the the 94 Citation FF for sale, a beautiful car, may inspire me to finally get it done. And I know orange isn't the best color for photos but when the color is right it sure looks good.

Does anyone have or know the paint code? Have done a google search a couple times and I can find stuff to paint a model but not a paint code for automotive paint.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 183

here's the closest I could find with a reasonably quick search

https://www.zero-paints.com/Mclaren_...oduct--64.html

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

I see references to hex color ff9e1b.

https://rgb.to/hex/ff9e1b

"Looks" similar to McLaren colors that I saw back in CanAm days.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 278

McLaren uses Sikkens paint and it is Papaya Orange. I am not sure that they will give out the actual paint code.

Liked: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Johnson 42 View Post
    Thinking about a fresh paint job over the winter and always wanted to do McLaren orange. Looking at the the 94 Citation FF for sale, a beautiful car, may inspire me to finally get it done. And I know orange isn't the best color for photos but when the color is right it sure looks good.

Does anyone have or know the paint code? Have done a google search a couple times and I can find stuff to paint a model but not a paint code for automotive paint.
    Hi Bill,
    I don't have a paint code, but maybe this picture of my 1974 Lola T322 will help. It is all original
    as delivered by Lola. It is actually not fully assembled yet. This is the original body as is all of
    the car.
    The information is from Carl Haas Imports (well over 20 yrs ago)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 1417

Don't know how true the fable was, but I was told that Bruce originally used over-stocked paint from a local DOT/municipality because one of the mechanics on the team knew where to get cheap paint from one of his buddies. As the story goes to my memory, the original cars were painted with school bus yellow paint because it was almost free. The color has evolved into "Kiwi Orange" or "Papaya Orange" over time, but the early cars weren't quite as bright orange as they are today.

I was told that the color on my former Citation FV was painted to match the original school bus yellow that was used on the early McLarens.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

I had this question regarding my March FF. The original owner of the 719-2 I was researching said it was "McLaren orange" so I asked my friend, a former owner of Denny Hulme's M20. Since my friend is a stickler for historical accuracy, he found out from Duncan Fox (helps run the McLaren trust) that the color is RAL 1028 Melon Yellow

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1417

RAL is a tough match in the US unless you are powdercoating something. Looking at the web charts, though, Melon Yellow is a pretty good match. Be careful matching to web chips and hexidecimal numbers, though, as you are dealing with RGB colors that are not necessarily possible when mixing paint.

Whatever color you decide, orange race cars always look great.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by ken holley View Post
    Hi Bill,
    I don't have a paint code, but maybe this picture of my 1974 Lola T322 will help. It is all original
    as delivered by Lola. It is actually not fully assembled yet. This is the original body as is all of
    the car.
    The information is from Carl Haas Imports (well over 20 yrs ago)
    I would give my eye teeth for the color code on this car. STUNNING

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

The color used on Ford's Parnelli replica mustangs are pretty close too....

Liked: 1432

I'd call up a Mclaran dealer and see if they have a color code for Papaya Orange. If not they should have a Mclaran authorized body shop to point you to. The code will be the easy part, I'm not so sure a standard body shop's paint database will have a formula.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 09.22.19 at 11:06 PM.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    ....I asked my friend, a former owner of Denny Hulme's M20. Since my friend is a stickler for historical accuracy, he found out from Duncan Fox (helps run the McLaren trust) that the color is RAL 1028 Melon Yellow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    I would give my eye teeth for the color code on this car. STUNNING
    You can search online for that color and get it matched with your favorite brand. I had my new bodywork gelcoated that color.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

16. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Thread Information