Liked: 37

Default RIP Harry Schneider FV Racer

It is hard to put in words but Harry Schneider took his last checked flag the other day. He has been a Formula Vee racers in his 95 Adams Aero for many years and raced many other cars over his many year of racing. I have had the privilege of racing with and against Harry for the last 4 years in the SCCA Central Florida Region and he will be sorely missed. Always a competitor and still a good driver even at the age of 88, I can only hope I am still as good as Harry was when I reach that age.

The younger Harry.

Harry Bradley
    CFR FV#77
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 14

RIP To the ever Present Adams Aero Driver

Liked: 307

Race on Harry - you will be missed!

Liked: 9

I am sorry to hear that Harry has passed. I raced against him many times in EMRA's Formula Vee Continental series back in the 1980s.

Liked: 76

Harry rely had the spirit of FV in his veins. I believe I first met him at Watkins Glen in the 80's. Wonder if anyone has info of when he started racing.
    Also any info on an address for his significant other or his son Chris so I could send a card would be appreciated.
    Buthc
    butch deer

Liked: 211

RIP Harry

An icon of the sport in the NE
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 30

Harry was awesome!!
    I raced with him in 2001 when he was doing his retirement tour, going to all the tracks across North America that he wanted to drive. Then more recently we reconnected when he raced against my daughter, him still driving the blue Adams. Two years ago Steven Davis had a wonderful post of what he described as standing on the podium between the greatest age differential in the SCCA. Irrespective of what class Megan has run in if Harry was at the track she would always go and find him.

We were fortunate enough to watch Harry win an SCCA Majors race at Homestead earlier this year and we saw him for the last time as he received his first place trophy. No better memory to have of a true racer and gentlemen!!

Brent & Megan Gilkes

8. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Sad news. I never met the man, but saw him run a few Runoffs.

In a vein almost invented by Harvey Templeton in the '70s, and with him in his, older guys who race right up to the final Checkered are the real Heroes to those of us who still aspire to race at an older age. Would we even bother trying without inspiration from guys like Harry?

This is the way to live. And the way to go. The best way.

All my respects, Harry.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 37

I found out Harry raced a Deutsch-Bonnet in the vintage races before the 12 Hours of Sebring back in the 80s. Would like to know more about the man I raced with and helped at the track many times over the last 3 years or so.

Harry Bradley
    CFR FV#77

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Rick Pfeiffer was a good friend of Harry's and is working on some stories which I told him I would get posted in the various forums.

I raced with him in FV with both EMRA and SCCA and the few short stories Rick told me were priceless.

I will post when we have it finished.

Just found this on the web:

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report the passing of long time EMRA racer Harry Schneider on September 2, 2019 at the age of 87 due to liver cancer. Harry was there from the very beginning of EMRA and was a devoted and enthusiastic member of EMRA founding club Scuderia X. Harry was a French teacher and soccer coach. He drove French cars like the Panhard based DB Coupe at Bridgehampton Race Circuit and later switched to Formula V. Harry lived his life to the fullest having qualified for the SCCA Nationals well into his 80's. He is survived by his daughter Michele and sons Eric and Chris (who is a Formula V builder and racer).

EMRA extends its sincere condolences to the family, close friends and competitors. No arrangements have been made at this time. I will post as soon as we learn something.

On a personal note I have to thank Harry for welcoming me into the EMRA family. After attending a couple of EMRA races and driving a Time Trial at Bridgehampton in 1997 I ventured to take photos on the road at Pocono, not having a clue as to where to stay, or anything else for that matter. I got invited to stay over at Harry's home in western NJ along with other EMRA people--racers, corner workers and officers---a real introduction to EMRA.

DaveZ

http://emraracing.org/shop/prestasho...-emra-original

ChrisZ

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Default Harry Schneider

Posting this for John (Rick) Pfeiffer:

In four plus decades of road racing, all the men that I could say I honestly respected, admired and liked, you could count on one hand. I was honored to have Harry as a friend.

We met in the mid 70s when I joined Scuderia X and started racing with EMRA. Harry was in H/P competing with a 1958 Deutsch-Bonnet coupe – a small displacement light-weight French car built by Charles Deutsch and Rene’ Bonnet during the late 50s and early 60s. They had an impressive string of “index of performance” victories at Le Mans. Harry was outmatched by the BMC Sprites, etc.; nevertheless, he secured several EMRA class championships.

I was on his team “S-Car-Go” in the 1978 EMRA championship. We came up winners.

In 1979 Harry invited us (myself & my wife) to the Sebring 12 Hours as he was competing in the vintage event. He told us to take along nothing that you can’t carry on your back. He then introduced us to the tow vehicle: a 1966 Plymouth Estate Car that you would not trust to do the weekly shopping - we made it to Sebring. While Harry was at the drivers meeting, I presented the car to tech. They questioned the dry-rotted condition of the tires. After considering the heady surroundings, I spat out: “We are having two sets flown in, they should be here by 11:00.” The DB passed.

After a few sessions, we lost the engine. We were the only vintage competitors to change an engine; we drew a crowd three-deep. Harry and the DB finished the race.

During that week, I noticed Harry standing next to a brown Renault 17 with its hatch up. He called me over and said he wanted me to meet a friend. As I rounded the car, there was Stirling Moss suiting up. Harry had that gift: he could converse with any one at any level.

On the trip home, a little north of Sebring at a breakfast stop, the Plymouth failed to start. We pulled the starter motor and with it in hand, walked up and down that highway until we found a replacement, installed it, and the Plymouth ran all the way home

A decade later, he very graciously rented his F/V to me, with the object of maintaining my national license for the coming season.

Our last meeting was at Monticello. He was very fit considering his years, and drove the F/V with great panache.

I learned that he qualified for the runoffs at 80 and finished mid-field. Knowing his character, I found this all very natural. I only recently learned of his other runoffs appearances, and that he had several starts this year – one where he stood on the top step of the podium at an SCCA Majors race. Harry was club racing. His love for road racing, and his intense perseverance to pursue it (without real capital), is an everlasting inspiration to carry on regardless for those who compete with marginal means.

Adieu Mon Ami

John Erich Pfeiffer

Last edited by FVRacer21; 10.10.19 at 7:00 AM.

15. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

Thank You for posting this about Harry.
    The Challenge Cup had stickers make to celebrate his number 20
    and his life.
    I am sure there are a hundred stories like yours about Harry
    but you put it down in a way that any person would want
    to meet him and share some bench racing with him
    Thank You
    Last edited by veeten; 09.30.23 at 2:27 PM.

Liked: 12

Default The legend

I still miss him.
    Not the top step but on the podium none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by BGilkes View Post
    Harry was awesome!!
    I raced with him in 2001 when he was doing his retirement tour, going to all the tracks across North America that he wanted to drive. Then more recently we reconnected when he raced against my daughter, him still driving the blue Adams. Two years ago Steven Davis had a wonderful post of what he described as standing on the podium between the greatest age differential in the SCCA. Irrespective of what class Megan has run in if Harry was at the track she would always go and find him.

We were fortunate enough to watch Harry win an SCCA Majors race at Homestead earlier this year and we saw him for the last time as he received his first place trophy. No better memory to have of a true racer and gentlemen!!

Brent & Megan Gilkes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jjflip; 10.19.23 at 11:09 PM.

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

RIP Harry

Thread Information