Liked: 2

Default GForce GF05 Fuel Cell area

Finished with the front suspension for now and moving on to evaluating the fuel cell area, unfortunately I didn't get very far.

I'm trying to remove the panel attached to the back of the tub, but there is a weird connection down by the fuel pump that I can't figure out (lower right corner when viewed from behind).

For lack of a better description, it looks like a 2" knock-off wheel nut (or a little hurricane symbol) and it appears to be holding the panel by that inner lip.

I tried rotating the "nut" counterclockwise, but it didn't want to move. Am I correct that this piece needs to come off to free the panel? Next step is to literally use a bigger hammer. If that doesn't work I'd consider grinding off the tips of the wings. But if anybody can tell me what this is before I get aggressive, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bulkhead_02.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	86864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine_compartment_05.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	86863  

Liked: 139

Drive for internal fuel pump? Seized?

Liked: 278

That is the fuel pump drive. It should pull out. If it has been in there a long time it could very well be rusted into the fuel pump. If it doesn't turn then the pump is seized up. Not going to be much fun to remove.

Thanks guys for the quick replies. At least now I know what I'm dealing with.

Default The fuel cell is out

I finally got around to working on this again and I'm happy to report that the fuel cell is out. No amount of PB Blaster and prying would free the pump drive so I resorted to grinding off the the little wings and that allowed me to remove the bulkhead.

Then it was just a matter of disconnecting the inlet and vent fittings and it basically slid out. The inlet port area did give me a little trouble because after sliding back about two inches, that ring was catching on one of the tub-to-engine mounting studs. But the fuel cell was just pliable enough that I was able to push it inward to clear and then it came out the rest of the way.

So thanks again for the help on this. Now it's back to the cosmetic restoration of the rear suspension and trying to figure out if I can fit a street car engine without doing too much hacking. I'm inspired by the guy in New Hampshire who squeezed a Chevy LS into a Reynard chassis.

Merry Christmas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel_cell_compartment.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	89270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel_cell_01.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	89271  

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Contact racers with Indy Lights. They have already figured out how to mount either a Chrysler 3.5 liter or a Buick 3.5 liter. Look at the installation on my Lola T9670 here. http://fattogatto.com You might glean some ideas.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Thread Information