Liked: 17

Default Single Post Formula Car Lift?

As I continue to run out of garage space, it seems unnecessary for my Formula Mazda to be taking up a whole car spot over the winter.

Does anyone know of a small, single post lift that could store my FM just high enough to get over a lower profile street car (my 90's 300ZX addiction is the issue). A 4 post or hoist won't work due to my garage configuration. Height is not an issue, as it will likely go next to a 13ft two post lift I already have. I searched around this site and found a lot of good DIY info on hoists, lifts, etc, but nothing recent on what I'm looking for. Weight rating doesn't need to be excessive, as the FM is about 1220lbs without me, and the only other car this might be used to store is a 1850lb honda civic endurance car. Thanks for any thoughts!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryan McLaughlin
    FM #3 (the cow car)
    http://rally.build

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

What is the ceiling height of the garage? I made a lift out of the heavy storage racks that can hold a formula car no problems.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    What is the ceiling height of the garage? I made a lift out of the heavy storage racks that can hold a formula car no problems.
    It's just about 14ft where this would likely go.
    Ryan McLaughlin
    FM #3 (the cow car)

Liked: 530

Can you attach an overhead hoist to the ceiling and just lift it up by the roll bar?

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 36

This is complete overkill for a small formula car but it fits the bill and could be used for other cars. https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/A...ngle-Post-Lift

My Dad picked one up a year or so ago and uses it all the time for various cars.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

if you already have a lift in the garage, what about placing an I-beam column as close to a wall as possible, bridge the column to one of the lift columns with another I-beam, and hang a chainfall from that?

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

With 14 ft, take the nose off the car, drain all the fluids , put a winch in the corner of the ceiling and wall and stand the car on its end.
    Graham

Liked: 7

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 157

Default Shop around for price

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbagsj View Post
    I have a lift that looks just like this one, but is painted blue. Paid about a grand less and have had 4000lb BMW's on it to do a clutch job. In the winter I have one car on the lift and another under it. Installation needs some serious rigging skills, or a forklift

Steve

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    I have a lift that looks just like this one, but is painted blue. Paid about a grand less and have had 4000lb BMW's on it to do a clutch job. In the winter I have one car on the lift and another under it. Installation needs some serious rigging skills, or a forklift

Steve
    ...and where did you get this perfect lift?
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

Banned
    Liked: 1116

My work's brought me to this place a few times over the years. Seem to have a pretty good selection and good prices on the stuff I've looked at. Quality from imported hobby stuff to USA-made commercial applications and everything in between.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...ifts-s/410.htm

seriously, that's sounding like the best option so far! any details on brand/model?

This "turf lift" type was what I had in mind, but was thinking some lift arms instead of a lawnmower size platform, and would like it to go a little higher than 4ft something. I guess with a single post though, stability up higher becomes an issue.

Edit: Thanks for the link above. Check this one out!!

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...l-msc-6klp.htm
    Last edited by rally460; 08.22.19 at 12:57 AM.
    Ryan McLaughlin
    FM #3 (the cow car)

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by rally460 View Post
    seriously, that's sounding like the best option so far! any details on brand/model?

This "turf lift" type was what I had in mind, but was thinking some lift arms instead of a lawnmower size platform, and would like it to go a little higher than 4ft something. I guess with a single post though, stability up higher becomes an issue.

Edit: Thanks for the link above. Check this one out!!

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...l-msc-6klp.htm
    I've seen variations that were wonderfull as a way to put a car up on rigid stands. Frankly, I'd be a little nervous about what I parked under it long-term Point failures, y'know. I'd happy to be wrong...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpthumper View Post
    ...and where did you get this perfect lift?
    iDEAL MSC-6KLP Mobile Single Post Lift

Is the model I bought. Today the are $2999. I paid 500 or 600 dollars less than that 4 years ago

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Can you attach an overhead hoist to the ceiling and just lift it up by the roll bar?
    What am I missing? Why would somebody pay $3k+ for lift, then installation, damage your floor, etc when you could buy a winch/hoist for $50 from Harbor Freight to lift the car up. Might need a 8x4 or similar beam across the rafters to spread the load (what I have done). Or build a wood A-frame for $100. Having a lift in the way just seems like a huge PITA, just for storage purposes, even before considering the cost involved.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

19. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    What am I missing? Why would somebody pay $3k+ for lift, then installation, damage your floor, etc when you could buy a winch/hoist for $50 from Harbor Freight to lift the car up. Might need a 8x4 or similar beam across the rafters to spread the load (what I have done). Or build a wood A-frame for $100. Having a lift in the way just seems like a huge PITA, just for storage purposes, even before considering the cost involved.
    I did this recently with a chain hoist. Cheap. Easy. Obviously have to be sure the rafter structure will hold but if so, EASY.

The formula car in my case is on the floor. A 3100lb summer toy is on the lift all winter.

Single post rolls around on the floor. No holes. The beam is against the wall and not in the way

If the FF is being stored then 3k is not justified. Working on the street cars has been my big benefit

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Or, install an I-beam across the garage and use a travelling snatch block. Build a rolling stand for the car out of steel tubing.

I have a modified A-frame on wheels built out of this stuff that uses a 3 ton Harbor Freight electric winch that picks up my atlantic easily using the roll bar and puts it on a rolling rack with room underneath for another car.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Banned

What am I missing? Why would somebody pay $3k+ for lift, then installation, damage your floor, etc when you could buy a winch/hoist for $50 from Harbor Freight to lift the car up.
    Per the OP he's also looking for the ability to lift up and store an 1850 pound Honda endurance car, a lift can make that job much easier.

Liked: 20

Default floor jack?

I'm sure it isn't ideal, but is it possible and how can you get a formula car on high stands with just a heavy duty floor jack? I'd love to figure out a way to not own a hoist. Also, I have a ridiculously low ceiling, so a hoist may not even fit.
    Paul Reineck

Liked: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I'm sure it isn't ideal, but is it possible and how can you get a formula car on high stands with just a heavy duty floor jack? I'd love to figure out a way to not own a hoist. Also, I have a ridiculously low ceiling, so a hoist may not even fit.
    I use two of these (one in the front, one in the back). Wait for the $129 coupon, obviously.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-...ane-61858.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

Spend 6 minutes watching this for some inspiration.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q20VzwVs

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Spend 6 minutes watching this for some inspiration.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7q20VzwVs
    So, you're telling me there's a chance...

Bonus: I could stand the car up against the wall to make room for another car. Kidding, of course!
    Paul Reineck

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
    I use two of these (one in the front, one in the back). Wait for the $129 coupon, obviously.

Those are on craigslist frequently. ~$50.

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
    I use only one, lifting at the rollbar. Take the front wheels off first and it almost balances.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thread Information