Liked: 130

Default Cracked Weller Wheel......

Just before I went out at NJMP, I checked my tire pressures. All was fine until I got to the last wheel, right rear, and found only 4lbs. of pressure.
    I swapped out another rear wheel and tire and ran the remaining races on it.
    I checked the leaking wheel when I returned expecting to find a bad bead or tire valve.
    I found a 2.5 " crack on the inside rim where the disc is welded to the rim.
    In water, the air escapes along a space about 1.75" and looks like a bubblier in a fish tank.

I have never heard of steel wheels "aging out" especially Wellers.
    I am considering buying a set of 4 Diamonds for my Lola.
    Any thoughts?

Just thought I should give a big heads up to everyone.
    Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery...

Liked: 142

that happened to me on a steel weller way back when when i ran FF (like 2004ish), brought it to welder and they repaired it.

I also bought some diamond steel wheels as spares after that. They were decent however the backspacing was slightly different and I ended up having to make thin (1/8") wheel spacers to get them to clear. They also used different angle lug seats so you'll either need different lug nuts for the different wheels (unless you replace all your wheels) or you need get a giant countersink bit from mcmaster and make the lug nut seats the correct angle.

Mind you my info is VERY dated and diamond might offer different lug seat angles now.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 146

There was a batch here in Australia a few years ago that were cracking, and centres pulling out. Some people contacted Weller and got replacements.

Perhaps contact Weller?

Thanks,
    I've thought about the "welding repair" route.

Strip all powder coating off wheel.
    Crack check entire wheel in case something else is happening someplace else.
    Weld repair. (Additional bead on opposite side to counter balance?)
    Re-powder coat.

Glance askance with jaundice eye at remaining 3 wheels and wonder what one of the 3 will send me
    into a heated argument with a tire barrier.

Crack check? Can we crack check without removing powder coating? I thought not....
    I'm sure this wheel would have passed a crack check when I put it on the trailer on Thursday.
    Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery...

Liked: 142

i raced on that repaired wheel for a season and half after it was welded. no issues.

That said the diamonds are cheap. Probably cheaper to buy a new diamond than to strip, have welded, and recoat the cracked weller. Hell even if you weld it yourself, it would probably be minimum $50 to have it powder coated.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Make a really nice hose rack out of it and buy a new wheel.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Make a really nice hose rack out of it and buy a new wheel.
    Actually, we needed a new base for our fire pit when we go camping. This will be marginally lighter but much better looking than cinder blocks.
    I am also thinking since the other three are about the same age, I may get a hose rack , fire pit base and two planters out of the deal anyway....
    Allan Buttrick

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 7

Default Replacements for Weller Wheels

A bit of a plug for my friend & FF racer Ed Moore who has tooled up various FF parts including replacement steel FF wheels (Wiz Wheels)

I have a set for my Lola T202 on order from him....

Ed has been racing Formula Ford in the UK for too many years

take a look here :-

https://formula-ford.co.uk

https://formula-ford.co.uk/shop?olsP...heel-095-09-01

tell him i sent you....

Chris Porritt

Thread Information