Liked: 830

Default Hydraulic clutch system - dragging?

I drove a vee with a hydraulic clutch recently and when shifting from 3rd to 4th, the clutch seemed to 'slip' a bit. In the past I've always used a cable system and there was never any slip. Back in the shop, removing the slave from it's position so I can see it from the front, there is some lag in the plunger when I release the clutch pedal. Is this normal? Is the slight slip normal for a hydraulic clutch system, or does the master cylinder just need rebuilding? It is also possible that the clutch itself is at fault - I'll check that out when the engine comes out.

Experience of others??
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 3787

Steve,
    I ended up using an hydraulic clutch in my mid-engine Porsche/Bug.
    The size of the line is somewhat important, so that there is no restriction in the fluid getting out of the slave and back to the master.
    I ended up putting a small auxiliary spring on the clutch arm to make everything work more positive/faster.

That said, in your case because it's 3-4 gear change, I'm thinking you will find problem between the pressure plate and the disc.

Liked: 830

I suspected the clutch or pp from the beginning, but wanted to make sure I at least ASKED about the hydraulic issue.
    tks,
    Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 302

"I drove a vee..."

When is this secret going to be revealed?

For what it's worth, I felt like the 3 to 4 was always slipping when I got back in the car. The old Zink was a cable and never slipped once adjusted. It wasn't enough that I worried about it, but it was definitely there.

Liked: 298

Steve make sure the slave cylinder is bleed out. They for some reason always seem very hard to get all of the air out. I have never had an issue with this unless there was air in the cylinder. Also if the seal is leaking it will allow fluid on the other side which could keep it from returning quickly. With the spring pressure the clutch should always return so you might have an issue with the clutch disc.

Ed

Thread Information