Liked: 8

Default Barber Pro series cars

Hi
    I run CF and what I am about to ask is outside my area of expertise.
    Since knowledge runs deep on this site, I trust that someone will have some answers.
    I met a nice gentleman at a large regional vintage car show here in PA.
    What drew my attention was a bright red Skip Barber Pro car sitting outside a tent devoted to Chrysler.
    Upon conversation,it was told to me that he bought the car when Skip as liquidating assets recently.
    He bought it from an auction in Michigan.
    Long story short, It was a display car that upon getting the car he determined that certain key parts were missing with the gear box and other internals.
    Does anyone have experience with the pro cars?
    It is a Mondial chassis with 6 cylinder intrepid engine and 4 speed gear box.Not sequential.
    He is hoping to make it into a track day only car.
    On the plus side he is an automotive mechanic so repairs etc. are within his shops ability.
    Let me know what you think and I'll pass it along.
    Thanks
    Greg Kokolus
    PRS RH-01

Liked: 799

Similar scenarios have been discussed numerous times on Apex. General consensus I believe is that unless he has an emotional attachment to that car or series, in the end he can have a better race car sooner for less money overall by buying something more traditional in running or near-running condition.
    On the plus side, it’s great to see someone entering the open wheel classes rather than leaving.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Default Barber Pro series car

Hi Ian:
    Thanks for the post.
    Ironically when taking your suggestion about checking previous inquiries, I found that the son of owner had already posted about the car in question back in 18.
    The consensus then is that it would likely be more problems then it would be worth.
    Regards,
    Greg Kokolus

Liked: 2

Default Bdps

I know those cars

Default Barber Pro car

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    I know those cars
    Thanks for posting.
    I'll let the party in question know and they can contact you directly.
    Greg Kokolus

Liked: 0

Hello all,

My father is the one who bought the car and as previously mentioned by Greg, after inspecting it once home it didn't take long to decide this one would remain garage art.

His interest is limited to Chrysler motorsports history so while a plethora affordable open wheel cars are available, he won't be pursuing any of them.

With regard to this car, I would still be interested to learn where I could find more information as we didn't acquire any technical data with the vehicle. I looked but never found a chassis plate. Even if the car won't be back on track, it would be nice if it at least ran.

Does anyone know what they used for an ECU? If it was the factory piece, did they calibrate for a ceratin fuel?

The nose cone seems to be missing some attachment hardware as it was just laying on top of the front wing. I wonder if any close up photos exist for reference.

-Shawn

Thread Information