Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default Vintage vee questions

After doing extremely bad this weekend with a new to me Lynx, I have some questions to ask:

What is the belt you guys are using ? My belt was on tight with no slippage. Back in the 70's we used to use sewing machine belts that were on the verge of falling off at any time.

Oil level: I sort of remember that we used to put a mark on the dipstick that was not a stock location. The modified mark represents how many quarts and where did we mark it? I pulled the dipstick this morning and it appears to me to be overfilled.

Thanks

FV

Liked: 99

Regarding the oil level, did you check it with the engine running? It will read high if you check it with the engine off. My understanding is that with the engine at idle the oil level should be slightly below the bottom of the pushrod tubes.

For the belt: fairly loose. It slips if I spin the generator pulley by hand while the engine is off, but it still moves a lot of air at idle. I expect it slips at high RPMs too, but I'm not sure exactly how much. Have you tried removing shims from the generator pulley to loosen it up?

Jeff

Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Teuobk;586620]Regarding the oil level, did you check it with the engine running? It will read high if you check it with the engine off. My understanding is that with the engine at idle the oil level should be slightly below the bottom of the pushrod tubes.

For the belt: fairly loose. It slips if I spin the generator pulley by hand while the engine is off, but it still moves a lot of air at idle. I expect it slips at high RPMs too, but I'm not sure exactly how much. Have you tried removing shims from the generator pulley to loosen it up?

I noted other guys belt set ups and their belts seemed thinner and shorter. They set farther down in the gen pulley groove. Wondered if there was such a non stock belt being used.

Liked: 58

Default Vintage Vee

VW had two standard marks on their dip stick. From the bottom, the second mark up) is where you want the oil level at idle. One can add a third mark FROM THE BOTTOM at just shy of 2". That would be the full mark with the engine off. If you have a small sump ( less than 180 cc's - the ones that look like a top hat upside down) then you are fairly close. Best to have some weight in the car for this measurement.

As for the belt- the pulley should still turn freely with light thumb pressure on the belt. There are several pulleys so it is difficult to say which belt to use for your application. As mentioned, you can add shims between the pulley halves to drop the belt further down so it does not ride as high. If you can not get it loose enough, go to a longer belt.
    10 X 900 or 905 is a standard VW belt size, but you can get a 9.5 X900 or 905 to sit lower in the pulley.

Hope this helps
    Dietmar
    ww.quixoteracing.com

Contributing Member

Default Fan Belt answer

Thanks Dietmar, The belt on the car was so tight I could hear the belt short squeal on downshifts. It was tight enuf to turn the engine over turning the gen pulley by hand.

Liked: 304

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    Thanks Dietmar, The belt on the car was so tight I could hear the belt short squeal on downshifts. It was tight enuf to turn the engine over turning the gen pulley by hand.

At higher RPM's you are losing a lot of HP with a tight belt. VW never intended for the fan to be turning the RPM of a FV. Seems I recall someone testing on the dyno back in the 70's and a VW designed tight belt was a 5-6 Hp loss at 5k RPM.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information