Liked: 1

Default Best Series for the Southeast?

Hey everyone, I've tracked a lot of cars in the past, but I just drove an Indy car the other day and there's no going back. So I'd like to get into open wheel racing but I don't have a lot of time available to travel around the country doing it.

If I limited myself to the Atlanta / SE area, what would be the most popular type of cars to get into? It seems like Formula First isn't big around here. Would you recommend something like Formula Vee?

My plan is to go to the Bertil Roo's school for my license and then just drive whatever event I can, whether it's autocross in a FV or an occasional race at Road Atlanta. So is it feasible to only race a few races out of a season if you're just doing it for fun?

As far as expenses go, I'm not rich but I make a decent amount of money and have low expenses. But I think anything past Formula Mazda would be forever beyond my reach.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

http://southernformulacar.com/

http://www.f2000championshipseries.com/

Pick the races you can make..

You can find an FC cheaper than an FM.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 302

"So is it feasible to only race a few races out of a season if you're just doing it for fun?"

Of course. Almost every club racer is doing just that, racing for fun.

FV is an excellent choice. Learn to drive in the V and if you desire to go faster sell it and move up.

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 799

Search here on apexspeed, there are many threads on "starting out". Most conclude you shouldn't learn in a winged car :-)
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 201

I am biased but I don't know that there is a better value for open wheel racing in the Southeast than Formula Ford.
    When you compare competition at regional and Majors level, cost of equipment, ease of preparation, close racing, to me it is the best bang for the buck.

10. The following 6 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

I agree with Andy [and I share his bias on the subject.] We have a good group of FF racers in the SE, the cars are great fun to drive, costs are tolerable now that we have the spec tire, and if you want to move up, there is the pro series. For us amateurs, the Southern 1600 series and the Right Coast series are great, if you are in their locale.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here's some more info I collected in case anyone else is looking to start:

1.) Where do races usually take place?
    https://www.scca.com/pages/2020-majors-schedule

2.) What classes in my region have the most participants?
    https://www.crbscca.com/staffAdmin/p...p?theYear=2019

Looking at this and going by what everyone else has said, at Road Atlanta last year there were 16 Formula Fords, 8 Formula Vees, and 2 Formula Mazdas. Roebling Road had 4 Formula Fords, 3 Formula Mazdas, and 7 Formula Vees. Charlotte is even with Ford and Vee, but 0 Mazdas.

So it looks like Formula Ford or Vee are the best choices, mirroring for the most part what everyone has recommended. Formula Continental and Formula Mazda are possible I guess but don't seem as high in participation except for some exceptions.

It looks like I'll need to figure out a trailer, a car, and a license.

Liked: 225

Default Series

Start in a car with no downforce. What you learn will translate to whatever class you end up in. I recommend FF because that’s what I started in. FV is also a good starter class but FF is faster! I believe James Lee is running a series that is very competitive.

you don’t need the fastest car to learn how to go fast. A rocker arm car can be very competitive, even if it’s not a Swift. And they will usually be less $$. 1982/83 Van Diemen, Reynard, and others are good examples. You’ll learn a lot and if you like it you can trade up to whatever car or class you want.

located in Atlanta you’ll have plenty of races to choose from within a few hours drive.

For what it’s worth, I drive FC. I run the Southern Formula Car challenge put on by Primus.

Liked: 757

I would also suggest Formula Ford and in particular Club Ford. That way you can race SCCA as well the various vintage race organizations. You could probably fit in 6 races in a club ford at Road Atlanta alone going that route.

Liked: 133

Mid Georgia is close to a lot of SEDIV tracks. Road Atlanta, Barber, Carolina Motorsports Park, Charlotte Motor Speedway, and Roebling Road are all an easy drive for you. VIR, Sebring. and Daytona are a little longer drive but easy within a day. Homestead, PBIR, Summit Point are a long drive but doable. With the SARRC series plus the other ones mentioned, there are more races available than you probably have time or budget to do.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Liked: 553

This web page has a PDF of the 2020 SCCA Club Racing (amatuer) races in the southeast, from FL to VA, SC to AL.

http://sedivracing.com/road-racing/

We're lucky to live in an area of the country that offers many (relatively) nearby race tracks and events.

FV, CF, FF are all fun classes in the southeast.

There are probably a few race shops offering rental rides. That would be a great way to dip your toes into the water.

Here's one: http://autoworks1.com/raceworks/ (Sam Lockwood)
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

contact James Lee 305-815-6439
    he can rent you my swift db-6 for a drivers school and you can test ff before you buy something.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member lmpdesigner's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default pRIMUS RACING SOUTHEAST SERIES

No discussion needed.

This is best formula car race series in southeast.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by sman26 View Post
    Hey everyone, I've tracked a lot of cars in the past, but I just drove an Indy car the other day and there's no going back.
    Can you tell us a little more about that? Sounds interesting.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information