Liked: 553

Default Changing to Push Rod susp from Rockers - Got Parts?

Looking for any parts people have laying around, such as push rods or bell cranks.

I'm changing my differential from chain drive to gear drive (Quaife QBA3R like on the Radical SR3). Unfortunately it interferes with my left rear shock, so I'm considering moving my shocks to up top.

Thanks for any leads or thoughts.

Russ
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I've got some 98 VanDiemen rear rockers and pivots that I would sell.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    I've got some 98 VanDiemen rear rockers and pivots that I would sell.
    Thank you. Can you send pictures to russmcb at bellsouth dot net?

I have already found and purchased a pair of rockers, but I would still like to see what you have. In the email, can you provide a ballpark price?

Thanks, again.

Russ

PS. I'll still need some adjustable pushrods, but will not know the lengths I need until I can mock up the shocks and rockers.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Rear rockers, bearings and caps are from a 98 VanDiemen FC
    I thought I had the pivots but don't. Those are rear shock mounts for an LD200 in the plastic bag.
    $200 for everything.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 159

Default why?

Hi Russ.

Why are you changing to a gear drive?

The oily mess is the only advantage I can think of.......but we are only running 1 liter engines..

Are you experiencing failures due to the power your getting from that beast these days?

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars
    737-399-7060

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Looking for any parts people have laying around, such as push rods or bell cranks.

I'm changing my differential from chain drive to gear drive (Quaife QBA3R like on the Radical SR3). Unfortunately it interferes with my left rear shock, so I'm considering moving my shocks to up top.

Russ

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Rockers

I have rockers (bell cranks)from the Bowman cars. But will not be able to get you a picture until this weekend. Warning - Bowmans do not use rod ends, rockers have stacked in bearings.

Have to check what I have for pushrods, you would most likely have to alter length to fit your car.

I will try and get you some pictures this weekend if you have interest.

Ed

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post

Russ
    I used bike shocks and fabricated the rockers from plate steel. The bearings are 1" bore and two are inserted one each end against a bored shoulder. They were not difficult to make. Now whether they will work or not is another issue!

I bought some bell cranks, and they may work fine. I still need to finish the new engine mounts, then diff mounts before I can really start thinking about the suspension changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
    Hi Russ.

Why are you changing to a gear drive?

The oily mess is the only advantage I can think of.......but we are only running 1 liter engines..

Are you experiencing failures due to the power your getting from that beast these days?

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars
    737-399-7060
    Jerry, I don't have a super great reason. It was a few things. My Quaife QBA2R (chain drive) stripped some inner gears and it was a mess inside, was going to cost a bit to fix, so I started thinking about changing to the gear drive version of the same gearbox.

Looking back, it probably would have been smarter to just repair what I had, but the project dug its way into my brain and here we go. I certainly don't think it will make the car faster, but I hope it will be lower maintenance and reliable, which is becoming more and more important as I get older, and continue to go to the track buy myself. I'm really liking the idea of not doing chain maint, adjustments, riveting, etc.

Two more quick comments, I don't really consider my drivetrain to be a beast. It's a stock Hayabusa with a header. My priorities are to make it reliable, try to drive it well, then maybe think about making it faster (a turbo? :-)

The problem I had with the chain drive was probably self inflicted - not because it couldn't take the torque. I don't think I had the Reverse gear solidly locked out, and I did some damage before I realized it was a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by palmac View Post
    I used bike shocks and fabricated the rockers from plate steel. The bearings are 1" bore and two are inserted one each end against a bored shoulder. They were not difficult to make. Now whether they will work or not is another issue!
    Thanks. yes, I have viewed your thread and pictures several times. Your work looks very nice. My fabrication skills are a bit less, and I'm trying to keep it down to a couple of hours a night. That's the main reason I started looking for off the shelf parts. I was pleasantly surprised to find and buy the bell cranks so quickly. They'll probably sit on the shelf for a few weeks.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information