Liked: 26

Default Mystery vintage uprights and brake calipers

Hi everyone. These uprights and unusual calipers came to light from the estate of a local Vancouver B.C. area Vintage racer and car restorer. I get the feeling they were probably from a early 1960's "special" that was probably broken up years ago. The rear uprights are most likely from something British from the late 1950's or early 1960's but I have not found a match yet . Fixed length 1/2 shafts so no upper link, similar to early Lotus formula Jr. and others of this era.
    The brake calipers are way outside my experience. Adapted to TR 3 or 4 front uprights. Automotive ?, industrial ?or captured alien technology?
    And those shocks, are these early racing units or someone's resourceful adaption ?
    All from the same car but as I say most likely an advanced homebuilt special . There was not any other surviving parts that I could find in the storage shed, but the previous owner owned many interesting cars over the years.

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

**A few more photos. Bolt pattern front and rear are large Triumph { TR 2-6} 4 x 4 1/2.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

Front uprights are Triumph Herald/GT6.

Thanks for pointing that out Christopher. I am getting a bit dim in my old age, the hubs are from the larger bolt pattern TR series . But I forgot they can , and have been here fitted to the smaller series uprights. Made the erroneous leap that hubs and uprights came from the same car.

Greg

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 899

The Alford and Alder uprights feature in Triumphs, as noted, as well as Lotus cars of the 60s, not to mention a vast range of British racecars and kit cars of the 50s-60s and beyond, My Van Diemen RF80 had these.

More history here: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-alder-upright
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Thanks for the link John. That's a great "in a nutshell " write up on a very useful component.

Greg

Liked: 85

Quote Originally Posted by GreginCanada View Post
    Hi everyone. These uprights and unusual calipers came to light from the estate of a local Vancouver B.C. area Vintage racer and car restorer. I get the feeling they were probably from a early 1960's "special" that was probably broken up years ago. The rear uprights are most likely from something British from the late 1950's or early 1960's but I have not found a match yet . Fixed length 1/2 shafts so no upper link, similar to early Lotus formula Jr. and others of this era.
    The brake calipers are way outside my experience. Adapted to TR 3 or 4 front uprights. Automotive ?, industrial ?or captured alien technology?
    And those shocks, are these early racing units or someone's resourceful adaption ?
    All from the same car but as I say most likely an advanced homebuilt special . There was not any other surviving parts that I could find in the storage shed, but the previous owner owned many interesting cars over the years.

Greg
    My guess would be Formula Junior of some kind, late '50's or early '60's
    Might be worth a bit to someone doing a restoration!
    Greg have you posted in 'Vintage and Historic' that might get more information?

Thanks Keith, I was thinking along the same lines about a home made formula Jr. Factory built race cars were something of a rarity in B.C. in those days . However several cars were built more or less from scratch by local enthusiasts, both open wheel and full body.

Greg

Thanks Keith, I was thinking along the same lines about a home made formula Jr. Factory built race cars were something of a rarity in B.C. in those days . However several cars were built more or less from scratch by local enthusiasts, both open wheel and full body.

Greg
    Take those photos to the British Columbia Historic Motor Races next month at Mission Raceway; one of the 'old geazers' might recognize the parts. Tom Johnston wrote books about the old cars built in BC/Canada.

Thanks Keith, that's a great suggestion. Tom has done a great deal of local historical research. I have both his Westwood book and his Western Canada book. There are brief write up's on some of the better known "specials" but few detail photo's. However I believe his archives are quite a bit more extensive than what could be included in his books.

Greg

[QUOTE=GreginCanada;586289]Thanks Keith, that's a great suggestion. Tom has done a great deal of local historical research. I have both his Westwood book and his Western Canada book. There are brief write up's on some of the better known "specials" but few detail photo's. However I believe his archives are quite a bit more extensive than what could be included in his books.

Greg[/QUOTE

Something similar to this!!

]https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...s-lotus-18-fj/

Hi Kieth, I don't think they are Lotus. All the Lotus uprights I can find are hollow "cored " castings. These are solid, open backed.
    Here are a few more photos and some casting numbers . As well some rough dimensions .

Casting number on upright BA 42265, notice the 6 is slightly smaller than the other numbers and letters.
    Forging numbers on the hubs, EN 50 { a British steel standard specification if I remember correctly}.
    . 11619 B
    JOSB, the O might be a C

The upright is about 5 1/2 " across the lower mounting bolt , and about 11 inches from the center of the lower bolt to the center of the upper bolt.

Two more photo's.

Mystery partially solved. Early 1960's Elva, the first mid engine Formula Jr.'s 200, 300 or the first mid engine sports racer , Mk. VI. All the suspension parts seem to be from one of these three models.
    Those odball brake calipers are still a total mystery. Are they even automotive ?

Greg

Liked: 942

Mystery partially solved. Early 1960's Elva, the first mid engine Formula Jr.'s 200, 300 or the first mid engine sports racer , Mk. VI. All the suspension parts seem to be from one of these three models.
    Those odball brake calipers are still a total mystery. Are they even automotive ?

Greg
    Calipers look like a very early racing Lockheed, possibly from a bike?
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Size is more in keeping with automotive , they are quite large for a bike. Thanks for the Lockheed suggestion, I will explore that possibility.

Greg

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default Caliper

Could it be an aircraft part?

Liked: 1868

If the calipers are aluminium, they most likely are not auto from that era, but either bike or airplane.

Definately aircraft or industrial are posible. I always think in terms of automotive, but not all disk brakes are automotive. They have to be the oldest single piston , sliding caliper brakes I have seen. I am very curious about what car all these parts came from, but I am afraid I will probably never know. Very few early 1960's Elva's made their way to Western Canada. But not many people still around with good knowledge of that era.

Greg

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default Elvas in the NW

There where several Elvas running in IRDC in the late 70s. Pat Murphy had a really fast Alfa powered MK8, I think there where three or four more.

Liked: 182

Calipers may be vintage Halibrand midget single piston slider.

Thread Information