Thread: School Car

Contributing Member
    Liked: 31

Default School Car

I was contacted by Pioneer high school in Ann Arbor about a Vee that was donated to them as a project. I have given them some advise about getting it ready for vintage racing. Fuel cell, fire system, belts, fan generator etc. Not sure if a front hoop is required for vintage. Any info on the make of car, history would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school car 1.jpg 
Views:	1090 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	86241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school car 3.jpg 
Views:	947 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	86243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school car 2.jpg 
Views:	980 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	86242  

2. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 32

Maybe a Caldwell?? but the thing looks awesome and I wish my high school was donated a Vee when I went there.
    Graham Loughead FV #35
    Formula Vee Hall of Fame Founder

Liked: 2

Looks like a Zink C4 or C5.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 304

Zink, no question about it. Looks pretty original other than the engine cooling ductwork modifications.

Liked: 1403

This is the last version of the Zink C4 FV. it was different in that the front bulkhead was lower to allow a lower profile of the nost. Also the "wing screen is molded into the nose. The car would have been built in 1970 or a bit later.

I have molds for the original nose but not the one that this car needs. But getting that part should not be all that difficult. The car looks like is might be in good condition and probably was competitive in its day.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default Zink c4

This car ran out of George Mazuro's shop as a customer. Car has original front slicks at all 4 corners. This was done only at Waterford as track was short and you would buzz 3rd gear. Dating the car would be condition of generator( gutted or working). Single or dual relief case?
    Driver Name on car would help me....
    I* don't think this was Kitch's car....
    Dave Kaz may have the mold for the nose....

Frank Vella

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    This car ran out of George Mazuro's shop as a customer. Car has original front slicks at all 4 corners. This was done only at Waterford as track was short and you would buzz 3rd gear. Dating the car would be condition of generator( gutted or working). Single or dual relief case?
    Driver Name on car would help me....
    I* don't think this was Kitch's car....

Frank Vella
    Name on side says Chuck Shelanskey. Post it up on the WHRRI forum and I bet someone will roger up.
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Rental, Coaching, and Data Analysis for Great Lakes Region

"
    The car would have been built in 1970 or a bit later.
    "

The rear Z bar would date it as earlier than 72 or so. The 73 and later did have the updated bar. My '73 had it, but I'm not certain what year it came out.

Liked: 31

Wow! That's gotta be a great adventure for the school. Look at the sticker Goodyears!

IMHO, this car needs to be set up for autocross. Put a stock, or mild overbore dual port (1641) engine in it, leave a cooling fan and shroud, FST size tires, and run it. You could probably cycle 3 or 4 drivers through it in one event, and allow every kid who works on the car the opportunity to drive it. Even in an autocross it will be an experience the kids will never forget.
    Ken Hoovler

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by killerken53 View Post
    Wow! That's gotta be a great adventure for the school. Look at the sticker Goodyears!

IMHO, this car needs to be set up for autocross. Put a stock, or mild overbore dual port (1641) engine in it, leave a cooling fan and shroud, FST size tires, and run it. You could probably cycle 3 or 4 drivers through it in one event, and allow every kid who works on the car the opportunity to drive it. Even in an autocross it will be an experience the kids will never forget.
    I'll disagree. It will take a lot less new items to finish it for vintage racing.
    Needs fan / generator. Possibly rebuild the rear shocks.
    Standard items it will need - regardless - belts, tires, everything freshened up...
    Glenn

Contributing Member

Default Liability

I'm going to guess that no student will be allowed to drive that car. The insurance companie's underwriters will not allow it. Best probable scenario is to get a benefactor who would pay to bring the car up to racing specs( allow the students to do the work supervised), and then allow the benefactor to enter and drive the car with students as crew...

Seen this rodeo before....

FV18
    Last edited by fvracerone1; 07.12.19 at 10:58 AM.

Contributing Member

Default Needs more

Quote Originally Posted by pacratt View Post
    I'll disagree. It will take a lot less new items to finish it for vintage racing.
    Needs fan / generator. Possibly rebuild the rear shocks.
    Standard items it will need - regardless - belts, tires, everything freshened up...
    Glenn
    Besides belts, new tires and wheel cylinders and lines replaced. Will need fuel cell(s), fire system and transponder. This car has fan shroud, that's what the scoops were feeding. I think I worked on this car at Mazuro's. Generator was probably gutted and ball bearings on fan shaft. Anybody know who makes the high nose and cowl?

Anybody have a mold for the stepped louver tail for this car or were they cannabalized off a Z10 FF?. I remember chasing Rollin Butler around RA, he had one.

In looking hard at the pictures, it appears rear tires on right side and fronts on left. We had a small oval track outside Detroit and they invited the Vees to run. Wonder if they were trying to create offset. Lot of cars crashed into cement wall.drivers injured.

Frank

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    Besides belts, new tires and wheel cylinders and lines replaced. Will need fuel cell(s), fire system and transponder. This car has fan shroud, that's what the scoops were feeding. I think I worked on this car at Mazuro's. Generator was probably gutted and ball bearings on fan shaft. Anybody know who makes the high nose and cowl?

Anybody have a mold for the stepped louver tail for this car or were they cannabalized off a Z10 FF?. I remember chasing Rollin Butler around RA, he had one.

In looking hard at the pictures, it appears rear tires on right side and fronts on left. We had a small oval track outside Detroit and they invited the Vees to run. Wonder if they were trying to create offset. Lot of cars crashed into cement wall.drivers injured.

Frank
    For the cowl/nose, check with Dave Kaczmierzcak (sp?) in South Bend, IN.
    The 2-piece tail you have is correct for vintage.
    Glenn

"...or were they cannabalized off a Z10 FF?"

Talk to Lathrop. As I recall he has mentioned that tail was an adapted FF part that he provided. My car had one.

Thread Information