Liked: 3279

Default ??? Tilton low profile remote master cyl reservoir 72-578

Does anyone have any experience with these? In particular, how well did they keep air from getting into the brake system under high G-loads or vibration? Since the reservoir chambers are relatively shallow, sloshing may be an issue.

There is no information that I could find on any sales site or at Tilton that indicates any interior baffling that would keep the supply opening always covered in fluid.
    Last edited by DaveW; 06.25.19 at 8:01 AM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Default Tilton 72-578 vs 72-577

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with these? In particular, how well did they keep air from getting into the brake system under high G-loads or vibration? Since the reservoir chambers are relatively shallow, sloshing may be an issue.

There is no information that I could find on any sales site or at Tilton that indicates any interior baffling that would keep the supply opening always covered in fluid.
    I think I will try to use the deeper 72-577 reservoir if it will fit since I have doubts about the ability of the shallow 72-578 reservoir segments keeping the outlets to the master cylinders submerged under all conditions. I'd rather not have to cobble a baffling setup if I don't have to.

I had a long, on-going discussion with the Tilton tech guy that did nothing to allay my concerns.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

I think there are 2 ways for air to enter the system.
    1. Air on top of the reservois
    2. Air introduced due to agitaton

The first won't happen unless the car is more than 90* from horizontal. Other things to worry about then!

The second could happen following heavy braking (panic) or a series of tight S curves. The amount of air would be small and by the time you pump the MC again it should be on its way to the top. I don't think this is a common problem as the short Girling MC reservois have been in use for 50 years and no one seems to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by BorkRacing View Post
    I think there are 2 ways for air to enter the system.
    1. Air on top of the reservoirs
    2. Air introduced due to agitaton

The first won't happen unless the car is more than 90* from horizontal. Other things to worry about then!...
    IMO, #1 could cause air in the system any time the fluid was not completely full, which, after some pad wear it won't be. Just think about oil starvation due to high lateral G-loading or negative vertical G's if the dry sump exit port gets exposed to air - in a shallow container that could also happen with brake fluid (even though the fluid is not usually getting sucked into the port), and I'd rather make it less likely with the deeper reservoir than have it bite me in the butt.

In my Girling reservoirs I ran silicon bellows to prevent aeration, etc. That sort of thing is probably not available for these reservoirs.

The 72-578 reservoir middle segment for the front is wider than it is tall, making the issue more likely.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Thread Information