Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 208

Default HANS Recertification

It's time to have my HANS device recertified. There are several outfits out there that do the work. Anyone have good experience with a certifier that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    It's time to have my HANS device recertified. There are several outfits out there that do the work. Anyone have good experience with a certifier that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Positively KRJ. Ken Joyce was great to deal with.

https://www.krjraceproducts.com/services/default.aspx
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

If you were closer to GA, I'd say you could go to almost any race and hand it to Jim Downing like I did a couple years ago!

Might also check Simpson Products distributers since they bought HANS 7 years ago. There;'s also a link on their webpage:
    http://hansdevice.com/Home.html
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Sent mine to Downing Atlanta a year ago. Good turn around.

https://downingatlanta.com/HANS_Shop.html

Okie

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Considering there's no science behind it and its nothing more than an unspecified visual inspection, with a tether replacement, I'd go with the cheapest.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 138

Such a scam really but at least they don't make you buy a new one every 5 years

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Liked: 30

I checked mine yesterday getting all the gear together and yep, April 2019 expiry from prior re-certification, panic set in as I have a Regional race July 6/7, but then I did a little research and apparently SCCA do not require re-certification?

I will replace the tether in any case though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joules5 View Post
    I checked mine yesterday getting all the gear together and yep, April 2019 expiry from prior re-certification, panic set in as I have a Regional race July 6/7, but then I did a little research and apparently SCCA do not require re-certification?...
    I got mine recertified after SCCA Annual Tech check told me to. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.
    Note, this was maybe 2 years ago.
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 601

Default Recertification

Quote Originally Posted by Joules5 View Post
    I checked mine yesterday getting all the gear together and yep, April 2019 expiry from prior re-certification, panic set in as I have a Regional race July 6/7, but then I did a little research and apparently SCCA do not require re-certification?

I will replace the tether in any case though.
    As of my last years GCR, that has been the case, so that answers my question about the latest version.

You need to understand that many Tech workers will get an idea in their head that something must be a certain way, yet the GCR has no mention.
    With the SCCA, you need to know what the rules actually read, not how one person interprets it (found that out in my first drivers school, April 1971).
    Get yourself a GCR !
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

11. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

If I understand it correctly, the date on the tether is not an expiration date as it is for seat belts, rather the mfg date and you have 5 years from that date. Go figure out the FIA....
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 601

Default Recertification

The earlier HANS did not have a date on the tethers.
    Also, there is not an expiration nor re-cert. date for FIA.
    Most, if not all the HANS I sold, had both SFI and FIA tags, for this very reason.
    If you crash very had, have the device inspected.
    Or the very least, replace the tethers.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 597

Reasonable guess is my HANS saved my neck years ago. It eventually went to Downing Atlanta for recert. No problem.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 109

Default re-cert Hans

So...

if my hans shows November of 08; I dont think the tethers have dates, nor does it have an FIA tag, does that mean it needs to be recertified?

Cj

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Quote Originally Posted by cjahn View Post
    So...

if my hans shows November of 08; I dont think the tethers have dates, nor does it have an FIA tag, does that mean it needs to be recertified?

Cj
    Sounds like it. Mine was 5 years past it's expiration date and was bought to my attention at Indy with SVRA. I had it recertified and the tether replaced by someone there but don't remember their name (business) for $140. Not sure if that was about what it costs everywhere but that is what it cost me there.
    Graham

Liked: 830

GCR Section 9 Cars and Equipment
    9.3.19.C.2
    ....The use of a head and neck restraint system that has been certified in accordance with SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858-2002 or 8858-
    2010 is required; an SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858-2002 or 8858-2010 label must be properly affixed to
    the device.
    There is NO MENTION of required re-certification.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

SVRA requuires re-certification. I learned about it at Mid Ohio. I was directed to a supplier set up next to tech inspection but I can't recall their name. They said my HANS could not be recertified and my only option was to buy a new one, which they had available, for $550. I'm sure they figured that I had no options. So, I borrowed a friends for the weekend and had mine re-certified somewhere else for $60 after the weekend.
    Ralph Z

19. The following members LIKED this post:

.... and had mine re-certified somewhere else for $60 after the weekend.
    By whom?
    Garey Guzman

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    By whom?
    This guy...

Great serivce, too. I highly recommend.
    Ralph Z

Liked: 482

Default Interesting that SCCA doesn't but SVRA does require recert..

SVRA:

[COLOR=rgb(13.300000%, 13.300000%, 13.300000%)]All drivers except for pre-war must use a head and neck restraint system. The head and neck restraint system must be certified by either SFI certification 38.1 or FIA certification 8858-2002
    Head and Neck Restraint Systems shall be recertified every five years after the date of original certification. Product inspection, maintenance, and/or replacement procedure is per individual manufacturer. Inspection must be done by an authorized recertification center. When a unit is determined by the manufacturer to be acceptable for continued service and in compliance with the current version of the specification, the original manufacturer shall place on the product a new SFI 38.1 conformance label marked with the inspection date along with new correctly dated tethers, the FIA devices will need a new dated tether every 5 years. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(13.300000%, 13.300000%, 13.300000%)]Devices that do not actually carry an SFI or FIA certification sticker are not approved. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(13.300000%, 13.300000%, 13.300000%)]For HANS Device users, harness shoulder belt webbing must be in direct contact with the yoke of the HANS; there shall not be any padding between the shoulder harness webbing and the yoke of the HANS. [/COLOR]

I believe you'll find that SVRA is using an OLDER copy of the SCCA GCR. SCCA required HANS(TM) recert a few years after the requirement to use them was placed in the GRC. Then after the introduction of several alternate HEAD AND NECK systems in later years, recert requirement was removed. Don't know which GCR years we're talking, but SVRA website might show which year they are using as a base. I don't have time to go hunt it down right now. I also can't recall what year SCCA added the REQUIRMENT. The 'RECOMMENDATION' was there for several years before that. Also can't remember which year the HANS(TM) was replaced by the generic 'HEAD AND NECK SYSTEM'.

Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    I believe you'll find that SVRA is using an OLDER copy of the SCCA GCR. SCCA required HANS(TM) recert a few years after the requirement to use them was placed in the GRC. Then after the introduction of several alternate HEAD AND NECK systems in later years, recert requirement was removed. Don't know which GCR years we're talking, but SVRA website might show which year they are using as a base. I don't have time to go hunt it down right now. I also can't recall what year SCCA added the REQUIRMENT. The 'RECOMMENDATION' was there for several years before that. Also can't remember which year the HANS(TM) was replaced by the generic 'HEAD AND NECK SYSTEM'.

Steve, FV80
    The date SVRA wrote the requirement was 1/2018. Don't know what version of the GCR they used but obviously it would have beeen before that date.

Liked: 33

This guy...

Great serivce, too. I highly recommend.

I had krj recertify my Hans last year and it was cheap. Also had him replace the rear headrest pad with a newer style. He can do any service for your Hans. I even was able to drop it off while I was in the area and save on shipping.
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Liked: 5

To me this all too much of a gray area in the rules. So I just sent mine into Simpson to have it re-certified to play it safe.

The updated GCR for Midwestern Council states all head and neck restraints must be SFI or FIA certified. According to Simpson the SFI certification is only good for 5 years

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...certifications

So technically if the HANS device is older than 5 years (mine was manufactured in 06) the SFI certification is invalid.

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by openwheeler37 View Post
    To me this all too much of a gray area in the rules. So I just sent mine into Simpson to have it re-certified to play it safe.

The updated GCR for Midwestern Council states all head and neck restraints must be SFI or FIA certified. According to Simpson the SFI certification is only good for 5 years

So technically if the HANS device is older than 5 years (mine was manufactured in 06) the SFI certification is invalid.
    You are correct. However, if your device has FIA certification too, the certification does not expire.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

28. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    You are correct. However, if your device has FIA certification too, the certification does not expire.
    It does have an FIA certified sticker. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Liked: 0

Default SFI 38.1 standard

There is that it meets SFI 38.1 which states-

Effective January 1, 2012, Head and Neck Restraint Systems shall be inspected for recertification every five years after the date of original certification. Product inspection, maintenance, and/or replacement procedure is per individual manufacturer. Inspection must be done by the original manufacturer only, and not their authorized resellers or dealers. When a unit is determined by the manufacturer to be acceptable for continued service and in compliance with the current version of the specification, the original manufacturer shall place on the product a new SFI 38.1 conformance label marked with the inspection date.

so without a current SFI 38.1 sticker the device does not meet the standard as required.

Liked: 322

SVRA does not allow the FIA sticker to over rule the SFI. I asked that question specifically prior to going to Indy and ended up getting the work done. Mine also had year old tethers, but that didn't matter.

Mine has both stickers, but the SFI was 'out of date' and needed to be recertified. I also specifically asked the vendor doing the recert to make sure and leave the FIA sticker in place - I have heard some of the vendors were pulling it off during inspection.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by scorp997 View Post
    Mine has both stickers, but the SFI was 'out of date' and needed to be recertified.
    Would have it been easier to remove the SFI sticker and leave the the FIA sticker?

33. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1112

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Would have it been easier to remove the SFI sticker and leave the the FIA sticker?
    I did that. Nobody questioned it.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by openwheeler37 View Post

Update;

I just received my HANS back from Simpson for re-certification. $80 and about 2.5 weeks total turn around time. They replaced the shoulder pads, tether, and helmet pad.

Liked: 1112

[QUOTE=openwheeler37;594162]Update;

I just received my HANS back from Simpson for re-certification. $80 and about 2.5 weeks total turn around time. They replaced the shoulder pads, tether, and helmet pad.
    /QUOTE]

..and, most importantly, it looks like they left the FIA sticker.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

37. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Head and neck recert required or not?

I’d like to bring this back up…

My Simpson Hybrid is over 5 years old but in very good shape. I can’t find in the 2022 GCR that recertification is required. I will send it in to be recertified this winter but no way I can get it done by next weekend for an event.

Can anyone verify whether recert IS or IS NOT required?

Thx

Liked: 165

I just had mine done. Highly recommend Ken at KJR Race Products in Indy. I sent it down with some of my coworkers to an event they were working at the Speedway and he had it turned around right away so they could pick it up on the way back.

Not sure if it's required or not, but it's cheap insurance and I'd rather not find out the hard way it's not up to date at tech.
    Van Diemen RF99 FC

40. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3279

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I’d like to bring this back up…

My Simpson Hybrid is over 5 years old but in very good shape. I can’t find in the 2022 GCR that recertification is required. I will send it in to be recertified this winter but no way I can get it done by next weekend for an event.

Can anyone verify whether recert IS or IS NOT required?

Thx
    IIRC, if it has an FIA sticker, it does not expire. The tethers may, however, only be good for 5 years.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 28

I had my Hans Device re-certified with the tethers replaced by Simpson in Texas. I was able to save shipping 1 way by picking up when I went to Texas In Feb. Pretty quick turn around, think $70.00. The shop is about 2 hours away from Austin. They have a show room and you can try on new suites, I ended up buying one when I was there. My device was +10 years old.

I’m definitely getting it recertified but now way that’ll happen in 7 days.
    I’m just hoping I don’t get turned away at tech. I don’t see a GCR rule that would indicate that.

Liked: 165

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I’m definitely getting it recertified but now way that’ll happen in 7 days.
    I’m just hoping I don’t get turned away at tech. I don’t see a GCR rule that would indicate that.
    I'd check with KJR. I don't want to make promises on behalf of someone else's business, but seeing as you're only a few hours away from them and they turned mine around very quickly, I wouldn't rule out it getting done in time.
    Van Diemen RF99 FC

45. The following 2 users liked this post:

There is NO REQUIREMENT in the SCCA GCR to have Hans .. or HANS recertified .. ever. It is YOUR responsibility to keep those tethers in decent condition and to make sure it's acceptable for YOUR use.

Anyone is welcome to prove me wrong...
    Steve, FV80
    Steve, FV80

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Some organizations and some STATES (like NJ) might require recertification, so check the supps, I know they did something with helmets the last time they rolled over.

I had mine done at Stable Energies Motorsports in NJ. I figured after 10 years it could not hurt.

I believe you can buy the tether and change it yourself if that is your concern.

ChrisZ

Liked: 1

This is such a strange thread. I race all over North America and Europe. I have never once heard any suggestion that HANS or tethers require "recertification". Not by any sanctioning body, not by the FIA. Except for this thread. If you actually know something specific, please share with us us the sanctioning body, their governing jurisdiction, and please cite the corresponding rule. Explicitly.

49. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information