Thread: FRP at Mid Ohio

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

Default FRP at Mid Ohio

Hi, all. Its about a week out from load in for the All Formula Car weekend at Mid Ohio. Five run groups: F1000, F2000, F1600, RCFF, Challenge Cup FV. As mentioned on Apex, we have 24 entries and counting for RCFFS. FV has 26 so far, 17 for F1600. F2000 still looks light, but we expect to be in the teens at the start of the weekend and we have 9 F1000's.

If you've ever thought about running an FRP event, this is a great one: 3 hours of single run group track time, no bureaucratic hassles, SCCA club license accepted. Take a look on our websites (formularacepromotions.com) for schedules and other information, or contact the series.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

2. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default So what are you waiting for?

After 3 weekends of SCCA Super Tour racing, I am sooooooooo looking forward to one of the best FRP events of our season. I am sooooooooo tired of hearing the mixed class complaining. 90% of post-race conversation has been just that. I want to hear complaining and hostile commentary after a race, with hurt feelings and bruised egos ...... but I want it to be a product of hard racing between competitors in the same class.

19 F1600, 13 F2000, 28 RCFFS, and lots of FVCC! If you have a car in one of these classes, stop making excuses, or complaining about engine parity or tire options. Just do yourself the pleasure ..... enter one of the best race weekends you will ever experience in these times of diluted formula class racing. I have used F1600 and F2000 tires to share, if anyone needs them.
    Last edited by problemchild; 06.24.19 at 1:25 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Ok, with load in tomorrow afternoon it looks like we have close to 100 cars showing up...20 F1600, 13 F2000, 9 F1000, 27 FV, 28 RCFFS and possibly a couple of F3 cars chasing runoffs qualification. This is going to be fun!

You can still come- call us and we'll work it out.

If you don't realize it, FRP weekends count towards runoffs qualification for FA, FB, FC, FF
    ----------

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

I don't know what the perception is, but there is direct connection to club racing throughout the entire field. Even the new "karters" have spent time at SCCA events this season. Zachery Rivard and Alex Scaler are second generation SCCA racers making their FRP debuts, joining much more experienced 2nd generation drivers like Cliff Johnson, and Scott Rubenzer.

F1600 Championship Series 20 ENTRIES

# Name Year Make Sponsor Hometown
    2 Scanlan, Mike 2014 Spectrum F1600 Great Neck, NY
    4 Johnson, Cliff Piper DF-5 Alpine Litho-Graphics; Stilwell, KS
    7 Aron, Bryce 2016 Mygale FF Imperial Motors Jaguar Winnetka, IL
    07 August, Burton Kyle 2011 Mygale SJ-11 Monro, Rice Race Prep Webster, NY
    8 Kotyk, Jonathan Mygale Oviedo, FL
    11 Kierce, Christopher 1999 Van Diemen ATC Technologies Inc. Cohasset, MA
    12 Reid, Bob 2011 Citation FF Weiss Millbrook, NY
    13 Scaler, Alex 2013 Mygale SJ13 AdvantageMotorsports.com / Rice Race Prep Flemington, NJ
    21 Petzko, David 2013 Spectrum 014H Shady Hill Clayworks Media, PA
    24 Horan, Christopher 2000 Van Diemen RF00 Honda steelfiber.com/Primus Canonsburg, PA
    26 Anti, Charles 2001 Van Diemen RF-01 youtube.com/antispeed Pittsburgh, PA
    27 Ori, Ayrton 2014 Mygale Spray Nine Tampa, FL
    31 Rubenzer, Scott 2012 Spectrum 2012ff Morgan's Collision Center Brookfield, WI
    42 Bjerke, Ryan 2014 Spectrum 014h Race works, Meji Enterprises Dunstable, MA
    70 Lockwood, Sam 2014 Spectrum 014H Raceworks, Meji Enterprises Cumming, GA
    72 Schwietz Jr, Thomas E 2015 citition 2015 steel services Winchester, VA
    77 Rivard, Zachary 1999 Van Diemen Thursday Pools, Wilwood Disc Brakes Macomb, MI
    80 Green, Josh Mygale Dufour Aerospace Mount Kisco, NY
    81 Czuba, Dexter 2014 Mygale Spray Nine Tampa, FL
    93 Lall Dass, Christian 2012 Piper DF-5 Parametric Solutions, Inc. Jupiter, FL

Liked: 201

Greg
    Thanks for posting that
    That is actually a pretty solid field front to back.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I raced (until he checked out on me)CF with Alex Scaler a month ago at Summit. The kid is solid.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 186

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    I raced (until he checked out on me)CF with Alex Scaler a month ago at Summit. The kid is solid.
    At the VRG FFCS event? I know Alex was on the entry list but the car got sold a couple of weeks prior to the event and he did not run at that event. Different event?

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by s800racer View Post
    At the VRG FFCS event? I know Alex was on the entry list but the car got sold a couple of weeks prior to the event and he did not run at that event. Different event?
    At the Jeff 500 he was in Holgers car.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 186

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    At the Jeff 500 he was in Holgers car.

Ah. I just knew he was entered as a second driver in a Crossle that got sold out from under him. Looking at the results, that does explain how Holger picked up 7-8 seconds on his lap times!

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 143

Alex is solid and a class act. Seems his stiffest competition is in vintage.

This track always provides great racing. It does not get any better than FRP at Mid-Ohio in June. Throughout the sessions, the top dozen cars were running laps within a half second of each other. There are excellent race reports and results at http://www.f1600series.com

Jonathan Kotyk, Josh Green, and Alex Scaler always seemed to be at the front of the 7 car lead pack, with Kotyk winning the first two and Green the 3rd after Scaler and Kotyk tangled in "madness" on the last lap. Overall, considering the heat and quality of competition, there were few incidents and spectacular racing from first to last.

The two young drivers making their FRP debuts, Alex and Zachary Rivard, were impressive as they qualified 1st and 3rd. Both came out on the short end of incidents with Kotyk, Zach on the start of R1, and Alex to finish R3. Chris Horan ran in the front group throughout as a part-timer in his privateer VD. Scott Rubenzer seemed to be the pacesetter in Masters with Cliff Johnson and Tom Schweitz chasing. (There are a few past National FF Champions in this paragraph ..... and perhaps some future)

Next stops are VIR and PIRC in 4 & 5 weeks. Hope to see most of these guys out again, with some additions, looking for extra pre-Runoff VIR track time.
    Last edited by problemchild; 07.01.19 at 1:45 PM.

16. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

I looked for live timing of the event but couldn't find anything. I was told Race Monitor had it but I saw that the app required a subscribtion.
    Did I miss something?
    Do the results come up on MyLaps eventually?

Thanks
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

I am not big on subscriptions or paying for apps, but the $5 I spend for Race Monitor is incredible value. I can follow everything from SCCA club and pro events to WoO and the Dirt Modifieds at my local track. Some Series have links to free subscriptions, but for $5 I have not bothered to look for them. All the results and reports are up on the F1600 website, often in minutes.

19. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

After looking at the results...As far as I can tell, there was ONE FCY for three laps (FV race 1) the entire weekend. Every F1600 (3), F2000 (2), F1000 (2), RCFFS (3) race went clean and green. That's my idea of a successful weekend.

For anybody who wants track time at VIR: there will be almost 4.5 hours available at the FRP VIR event July 25-28. Registration is on motorsportreg.com, search 'FRP' or contact the Series. The weekend schedule is posted on our websites.
    ----------

21. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 19

With this being my first weekend with FRP, I really didn't know what to expect going in. I can definitively say, there is no better FF racing in the country when it comes to track time, competition, and a true pro series feel. The racing was incredibly close and with only one exception that I noticed, incredibly clean. If I remember correctly, the entire field of 20 was covered by 3 to 4 seconds in qualifying and you can't find that level of competition anywhere else. The series was also extremely accommodating to me as a first timer whether it was financially or support at the track. If you're on the fence, I highly recommend that you make the effort to come out and race or spectate.

23. The following 6 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Thank you for the kind words. We try.

I looked at the lap times and I think you'd be surprised: Qualifying 1 was a 3 sec spread 1st to 20th. Race 3 was a fast lap spread of about 2 seconds first to last. That's what FRP F1600 racing is all about.

Thank you for coming, come back!
    ----------

Liked: 65

I had the pleasure spectating my first FRP event at M-O this past weekend. Awesome racing, great group of people. Looking forward to bringing my cars from the west coast, and running in the F1600 series next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradHayesRacing.com

26. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 30

My dad and I had an awesome weekend with FRP, as we always do regardless of the result. Everyone is as helpful as can be and the amount of green flag track time (54 racing laps and an additional 1.5 hours of qual and practice) cannot be beat.

To echo Greg's comments above, it doesn't get better than the FRP weekend at Mid Ohio. All formula cars, solid car counts, and beautiful weather. If you're looking to become a better driver, learn something new, or just be around a passionate group of racers, the F1600 series is well worth the price of admission. Looking forward to Pittsburgh.
    Chris Horan

28. The following 6 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

As usual, it was a fun well-run weekend.

A little in-car video from my run from the back in Master's on race 3 Sunday. https://youtu.be/wzm_-RHbBys
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    As usual, it was a fun well-run weekend.

A little in-car video from my run from the back in Master's on race 3 Sunday. https://youtu.be/wzm_-RHbBys
    "In car"? That was "in helmet" wasn't it?

What camera are you using?

Liked: 30
    Chris Horan

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    "In car"? That was "in helmet" wasn't it?

What camera are you using?
    This one: http://www.camboxmeca.com/en/

If you're thinking about getting one, try & wait for one of their direct sales. I got mine for about $310 shipped. The wireless comm feature with the cell phone is a bit buggy but other than that I've had good luck with it.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Thread Information