Liked: 280

Default The Golden Part 1 at Mid Ohio is Just a Couple of Weeks Away

Hi,

The Right Coast Formula F Series presented by American Pen Company is proud to offer all Formula F and Club Formula F cars an opportunity to celebrate the golden anniversary of the best class of race car (in our very humble opinion) ever conceived. We are now about 16 days from load in for the The Golden Part 1 50th Anniversary of Formula F race at Mid Ohio.

Registration has been open for quite some time. You can go to www.rcffs.org; go to Schedule page and scroll down to the Mid Ohio event and “Register for this event”. Or you can go directly to MotorsportReg.com and go to the FRP – Mid Ohio event and register there. Select RCFFS when you register. This is an SCCA sanctioned event so all you need is your regular SCCA competition license. We also have a weekend schedule on the RCFFS website.

While you are on the Right Coast website checking out the Mid Ohio event, take a look at Jim Kearney’s incredible guide to driving Mid Ohio. It is worth a couple of reads if you want to learn how to go fast at MO.

We believe that this event and the Golden Part 2 at Road Atlanta later this season will be the only two events where ANY Formula F or Club Formula F, regardless of what resides in the engine bay, can come and race to commemorate this significant anniversary for our class. Ford Cortina or Kent, Honda Fit, slicks or treads, makes no difference, all are welcome.

This is an all purpose built race car weekend as our hosts will be Formula Race Promotions and their F1600, F2000 and Formula Atlantic classes as well as the Formula Vee Challenge Cup Series. There has been a very recent schedule change and load in begins at 5 PM on Thursday, June 27. The track sponsored twilight test session on Thursday evening has been cancelled.

On Friday evening we will have a pizza party sponsored by the fine folks from American Pen Company. We will have liquid refreshments available as well. We will also have our drawings for corporate partner awards including two drawings for half sets of Hoosier tires.

As is usual with our Right Coast/FRP weekends, we will have two practice sessions on Friday, Saturday morning qualifying and Race 1 of the weekend on Saturday afternoon. We will have another evening social on Saturday. On Sunday we will have Race 2 and the Golden Part 1 50th Anniversary of Formula F in the US feature race on Sunday afternoon.

The Hoosier Tire folks have sent us a form that they would like all of us to use to order tires. If you are racing with us and want to get a copy of the form, please e-mail me at joemffracer@comcast.net.

So we look forward to having you come and race with us at Mid Ohio in this very special year for Formula F.

Thanks,

Joe Marcinski
    Royale RP-24 Club Ford #04
    Last edited by Joe Marcinski; 06.11.19 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Thursday schedule changes

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 127

Can't wait!
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

See ya there.
    Graham

Liked: 482

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default One Week to go before the The Golden at Mid Ohio

Hi,

We are now just a little over one week away from the Golden Part 1 at Mid Ohio 50th Anniversary of Formula F. We currently have 22 entrees and I know of at least two more drivers who will be entering this week.

Steve Brooks just entered and perhaps he can get Don Baggett to make the trek from Georgia as well. We would love to have you join us Don.

When we did our pre-registration site last winter we had Todd Bardwell, John Filios and Donald Jones sign up. Since we opened the official FRP registration site; they have not yet entered. We sincerely hope that Todd, John and Donald will come race with us.

I do not have e-mail addresses for them (or for Steve or Don for that matter), but if someone knows how to get in touch or they read this announcement; please get in touch with me at joemffracer@comcast.net so I can get our master drivers list updated.

We are also hoping that Brandon Lavender will come race with us as well.

See you at the track.

Joe M.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 99

I'll get on the prereg tonight... very busy chasing some chassis cracks and a proper mid season repair... if anyone wants to air ship me some SifBronze2 let me know... getting the right material has been the biggest hangup. Still hoping to make it!!!

Brandon
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

Hi Brandon,

Super glad to hear you are going to try and make it!

I believe that Ted Eller gets his silicon/bronze rod from our local AirGas. I don't know if AirGas has a location in Indianapolis, but it would be hard to imagine a welding supply place in that racing hotbed that doesn't have some.

McMaster Carr may also be a source.

When you go to MotorsportReg.com to register; filter on Pro Race and select "FRP - Mid Ohio". That will get you to the right registration site.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Joe M.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

24 entries and counting. Keep them coming.
    Great job!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Good news and bad news

Good News is that the chassis cracks are repaired.
    Bad news is that the project was so distracting that I forgot I should do a leakdown test after the MidO super tour where I zinged the motor pretty high on a missed upshift. The leakdown showed over 50% leakage on #2, through the exhaust. So I think we have a bent exhaust valve which I don't want to run with. I'm waiting to hear back from Rollin, but if anyone has wisdom to share I'll welcome it! Thanks
    Brandon L. #96 FF

Liked: 56

Quote Originally Posted by bassracer View Post
    Good news and bad news

Good News is that the chassis cracks are repaired.
    Bad news is that the project was so distracting that I forgot I should do a leakdown test after the MidO super tour where I zinged the motor pretty high on a missed upshift. The leakdown showed over 50% leakage on #2, through the exhaust. So I think we have a bent exhaust valve which I don't want to run with. I'm waiting to hear back from Rollin, but if anyone has wisdom to share I'll welcome it! Thanks
    Brandon:

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Pull the head and replace the valve if you have or can finda spare. Someone at the track shouldhave a valve spring compressor. I’d behappy to help as I’ve done it a number of times with Kents.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]Kevin
    Kevin
    Crossle 35F
    Van Diemen RF02

Thanks, trying to source one locally. If anyone attending has one please let me know!
    Brandon L. #96 FF

Liked: 127

What an amazing event - tight, clean racing throughout the field, and so much green flag running time against 27 other competitors. Let's keep the momentum going for Pittsburgh!

Here is my onboard video from the feature race on Sunday. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfm4...-SFjvH62-NUNWQ
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

17. The following 3 users liked this post:

Great event and turn out. It was hot but so much fun, even for us guys at the back there was still plenty of action throughout the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Graham

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Yeah, it was hot AND it was great FF/CF racing, congrats to all who participated.
    On both Saurdays Race 1 and Sundays Race 3 Dan Pyanowski and I got into a multilap back and forth and close clean racing.
    I would LOVE if anyone took any photos of those dices.
    Why ?
    Well, I had old faithful, my long suffering RED Crossle 30F.
    Dan was in his recently, well, over the winter, acquired BLUE Crossle 30F.
    Both in original 30F bodywork, neither "updated" to 32F/35F/40-45F style noses.
    Rather the traditional, and to my as well as many others, a more classic and appealing style "shark" nose.
    No high tails, just as John Crossle designed them…..
    I am personally VERY interested in on track shots of the Blue and Red 30Fs battling because, well, I actually owned the Blue car, TWICE, before selling it for the final time to Will Velkoff. He ran it for a few years whilst getting his feet wet.
    Will decided he wanted a more modern chassis with a Honda motor.
    Dan decided he wanted to return to a CF car.
    They agreed terms, swapped cars, and presumably some cash from Will, and Will has a late model VD/FIT and Dan has a nice 30F/ Kent.
    So in a twisted bit of logic I was racing my car against me in my car....
    Any help much appreciated.
    At one point, around 2012-13-14, it was common practice at Lime Rock NARRC Regonals to put CF in with FV and FF in with F/A/etc.
    I would run the Fit powered red 30F in FF and the Kent powered blue 30F as a CF, pracitice/qual/race times 2 !
    Got lots of seat time tat way...
    So any action shots from June 29 or 30 of the Red and Blue Crossle30Fs battling at Mid Oho will be well rewarded !
    By the way, Dan's Blue 30F is car number 36 and by complete chance my number is, and has been almost continuously since maybe 1971 or '72, #37.
    So Red 37 and Blue 36. both Crossle 30F's.
    Last edited by Michael Rand; 07.03.19 at 7:38 PM.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 50

Default Sunday Afternoon Race Video

Thanks to Joe Marcinski and Mike Rand for organizing a fantastic event at Mid-Ohio. And a special thanks to American Pen Company as the presenting sponsor for the RCFFS. What a sight seeing ~30 FFs and CFFs lined up on the false grid and heading out on to pit lane for all of the practice sessions, qualifying sessions, and races. With temps around 90F and humidity to match, it was a challenging but fun weekend for drivers, crew, family, and friends.

Here is video of the Bob Melvin American Pen Company RCFFS Sunday afternoon race from onboard Phil Kingham's #27 CFF Zink Z10c:

https://youtu.be/N8HLleOVUe0
    Michael Ray
    Crew for CFF #27 Phil Kingham

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

A great event all the way around, I had as much fun running this race as I did the pro 1600 race. A big thank you to everyone who helped make this event run smoothly.

Here's my helmet-cam video from the Sunday morning race: https://youtu.be/9IIOffQvw0E
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

As you can tell from this thread I was about to throw in the towel on Thursday but Dan, Phil, and Kevin encouraged me to make the trip anyway with their support to repair the valve at the track.

When the car was running it ran well, so big thanks to everyone for that support. Ray and I had an incident during Saturday's race which I retired from (not necessary but didn't want to assume everything was OK). Sunday morning was a solid race that I lost a position making a big mistake in carousel, and Sunday afternoon was also a solid race up until lap 10 when I randomly lost all engine power just after passing the start/finish.

I am still diagnosing the problem - car cranks and fires right up at idle but it is super sensitive to any throttle and wants to die randomly. I can see fuel and butterfly working so I am thinking it is somehow the FAST XR700. I am waiting on a call back from FAST.

Great weekend as far as being a part of this series and the FRP all formula weekend. I'm sure I'm not alone by saying I wish all weekends could be like this. I haven't been at a RCFF event since pitt race 2017 so it was great to see everyone. Hopefully in the future I don't have as much drama and I can spend more time working out of the cooler than the toolbox

Brandon Lavender

Here are my videos
    Saturday (contact/retire)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66nF8Uf9LWQ&t=464s
    Sunday morning (full) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzEEj3CtUc4&t=144s
    Sunday Feature race (retire) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULdFFfivT8&t=50s
    Brandon L. #96 FF

26. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Video from further back

Here is the race from starting 23rd and finishing 19th. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...yrII14HAm5-ZC\

Great event and so much fun. Had a clutch go away in qualifying but had 2 hours until race 1 so with a little help and a spare clutch in my tool box managed to do the change and still make race 1 with 10 minutes to spare. Thanks Joe, Mike and all the rest of you for making this a very memorable weekend.
    Graham

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Aaaand here's my video from the feature race on Sunday afternoon. https://youtu.be/pkZVShCEnCo
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

30. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information