Liked: 1432

Default What else is there to do in Wisconsin? Glad you asked!

Welcome to Wisconsin! I thought I’d start a thread for the out of towners, here’s the scoop on all things Wisconsin. It’s a great state (this time of year at least).

Beer, cheese, and Harley-Davidson. That pretty much sums it up.

Wisconsin is not shy on the craft beer scene. Some of the local favorites are New Glarus Brewing’s Spotted Cow, New Belgium’s Fat Tire Ale, and Leinenkugel’s seasonal beers. For a true northern Wisco experience, get a brandy old fashioned. The area of the state that Road America resides is known as the Brandy Belt – consuming more brandy than the rest of the state combined.

Where should you have this beer? Siebkins in Elkhart Lake. It’s the racer bar in town, with some history to back it up. I’ve personally seen David Hobbs (part time Milwaukee resident, or so the rumor goes – he does own a Honda dealer in town) about 10 beers deep at the bar many years ago. Bring you team sticker and slap it on the wall – if you can find space. Just up the road from Siebkins, the Brown Baer (yes, ‘ea’, as the owners name is Baer) is a good second for a more ‘townie’ local feel with surprisingly good eats. Rumor is the buffalo cauliflower and wings are tops. Also, good place for a Spotted Cow and local brews.

If you have not experienced the fried cheese curd, you must. No – not fried cheese mold. It’s the freshest cheese, formed just as the starter culture is added and it starts to solidify. Separate out the whey, batter them and then those dudes are tossed in a fryer - because everything is better when it’s fried. They are as common as French fries so tracking some down won’t be hard. At the track, The Gear Box at the top of the hill overlooking T14 offers prime examples. For the hardcore curd experience; beer battered cheese curds. Worlds collide, I know!

Wisconsin used to be the supper club capitol of the world. Maybe, I dunno. But, some still exist. Prime rib is the mainstay of the supper club. A great example is Schwarz's Supper Club, in New Holstein. Yes, there is a town called New Holstein (30 mins from the track). So. Much. Wisco. Also, they have a primo example of the beer battered cheese curd. A cheese curd appetizer, end cut prime rib (medium), with a brandy old fashioned and you’re an adopted Wisconsinite.

Frozen custard is the next must have for the Wisconsin tour. Think ice cream, but creamier and at a slightly warmer temperature. True custard has at least 10% milk fat and 1.5% egg yolk. Less than 1.5% and it’s just ice cream. The best frozen custard in the state is Kopps Frozen Custard. It’s a great old timey themed burger joint. There are 3 locations, and one is on the way from Milwaukee General Mitchell Airport for those flying in. They make it all in house, daily. Flavors change daily. Want a burger the size of a small child’s head? They have you covered.

Other food spots are The Paddock Club (Elkhart Lake) for a finer dining experience, Lake Street Café (Elkhart Lake) for a more casual bite, and DeO’Malley’s (Plymouth) for the best pizza in town.

Friday nights in Plymouth (20 mins from the track), there is a dirt track that is well attended. A dirt oval, in Wisconsin, on a warm summer night it tough to beat.

Traveling with your wife and 4 or 5 days at the track starts to get tiresome? For a 5-star spa/hotel experience, check out the American Club in Kohler (20 mins from RA). Downtown Elkhart Lake is also a nice walk – part of which is the original racecourse when it was on public roads. The Ostoff Resort and Hotel is a very nice place as well, and close to the track.

I’m sure others have more to add, so please do. Locals, what are your favs?
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 05.31.19 at 9:52 PM.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default More

Kohler Design Studio and factory tour in Kohler, Wisc. Be sure to visit the basement.

Kohler Museum of Art in Sheybogan...open late on Thursdays, last time I checked..not huge, voted 3rd best bathrooms in World (ask to see all), neat place with "small" art....

Lots of stuff in Sheybogan to see/do/eat. Just go to lake and walk around water front..take a selfie in in the shipwreck....last year there was an international sailing regatta for handicap sailors, at same time as our Sprite 60th races...serious sailors from all over the world were there...

Wisc. Auto museum... understand they got Kissel collection that was down near Milwaukee. (Kissels were built in Wisc. high end cars in 20's) Photos of new place on web looks great!

If you have time the EAA museum over in Oshkosh is real special.

Bob L.

(Hoping/planning on having the red/white/blue 340 down in trees, near turn 3...only takes half a tank to make it to the false grid!)

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Every restaurant and bar has a fish fry on Friday. My favorite is beer battered walleye.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 229

My memory from the 70's and Wisconsin is having corn on the barbecue that was the first time I had seen it prepared that way.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Check here, for both auto and auto racing museum.

https://wisconsinautomuseum.com/

Also:

Klemme's Wagon Wheel over in Howard's Corner is one of those "old school" Wisc. eating places... first went there during Sprints in 75.... Still going last year.

http://www.klemmeswagonwheel.com/

Kohler Museum of Art...

https://www.jmkac.org/

Okie
    Last edited by Bob L.; 06.01.19 at 3:05 PM. Reason: found web pages

Liked: 3787

My question is... Does Reid have a car to drive at the 50th?

If not, maybe we should do something about that. Just saying.

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 703

If you don't have time for the 2 hour round trip to the WI Auto Museum, be sure to take a walk through the showroom at the Throttle Stop in Elkhart Lake. They might even have a Cars & Coffee on Saturday morning.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Off The Rail in Elkhart has pretty phenomenal breakfast sandwiches, it’s always my last stop on my way out of town Monday morning on my way back to the west coast post race weekend. (And it’s neat to see how quickly the town returns to normal Monday morning status after a race weekend.)

I second the EAA in Oshkosh, very cool museum and worth a look.

Lambeau Field in Green Bay (if you’re a fan of sports that don’t require petrochemicals) is worth a look.

Further to the north of Green Bay is Door County; very pretty in September. If you go all the the way to the end of the Door, you can get on a 30 minute car ferry to Washington Island. The leaves might already be changing by that time of year.

If you decide to head southwest in the state to New Glarus to check out the brewery, do yourself a favor and head to the Glarner Stube. Both their fondue and their cheese curds might respectively be my favorite in the whole state. House On The Rock is down near that part of the state as well if you’re looking for landmark-type attractions.

If you’re in the Madison area, do yourself a favor and head to the Old Fashioned, order yourself an old fashioned (like Reid said, it’s the official state cocktail), and a bowl of beer cheese soup.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1108

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post

+1+

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post

I'm going to have my 92 on slicks, but have been looking for a CFF or Vintage car to run as well with no luck. Anyone out there have something?
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 06.09.19 at 1:56 PM.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default Oshkosh

EAA event over a week long is not to be missed

so sad the car world has nothing as spectatcular

The Roxie Supper Club is a must do

dine with Chuck Yeager and enjoy your Manhattan served with pickled mushrooms

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    I'm going to have my 92 on slicks, but have been looking for a CFF or Vintage car to run as well with no luck. Anyone out there have something?
    What if Rubenzer shows up with a Ford powered Citation???

Liked: 87

I like the Hub City restaurant for breakfast. It is located in downtown Plymouth and its where all the locals go. It opens early and will look very crowded but you will get seated quickly. The people of Wisconsin are extremely friendly and this is a great place to start the day.

The Paddock Club is a good dinner choice in Elkhart, nice bar atmosphere, but can be pretty crowded... Last year by chance, I sat at bar with past SCCA DSR national champ Jeff Miller (local to Elkhart)... that is a guy who knows the fast way around Road America!

I really like the milk shakes at Gesserts Ice Cream in Elkhart. They make them in the old time stainless cups and give you ALL the extra... this is an awesome end to the day (usually the day after I ended a day at Siebkins Bar down the street lol)

Just my 2cents ( a guy not from the area )

Mike Winebrenner

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by T Brzezicki View Post
    What if Rubenzer shows up with a Ford powered Citation???
    I'd be a very happy dude. We all need more Scotty at the track. Miss that guy.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 06.17.19 at 10:25 AM.

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

Couldn't agree more. We ran into Scott and Rock at Mid-Ohio in '16; first seeing Scott since he won Vee at Atlanta in '85. Made a great night of it.

Awesome guy, his red D13 was the second car I ever lettered (of 500+). At 16. My brother painted Ed's Sprite in our garage before I lettered it. Ed was epic, one of a kind as you know, I really miss that guy.

Sorry, carry on...

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mdwracer View Post
    I like the Hub City restaurant for breakfast.
    Thats where I go for breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    I'd be a very happy dude. We all need more Scotty at the track. Miss that guy.

Scott and I spent the whole day together at Indy qualifying yesterday. Was a good day.
    Last edited by T Brzezicki; 06.13.20 at 3:45 PM.

Thread Information