Liked: 0

Default F399 gearbox question

Hi!

I'm considering running a historic Formula 3 series with F399 as the youngest eligible car. The question I have is for the gearboxes run on the Dallara during the year 1999. What year did sequential gearboxes and (retrofit) paddle systems become available? I'd be a lot more comfortable taking part to the series with a sequential gearbox than H-pattern, as a missed shift would be very expensive. Paddles probably came a lot after 1999, but is there any chance someone ran a H-pattern gearbox with a sequential converter during the year somewhere?

Liked: 384

i have seen 301 with sequential paddle set up on racecrasdirect
    However it was 35k or so
    for 25 you can get regular 301
    H pattern vs sequential is literally matter of getting use to it ,you can miss a gear with sequential as well
    On lighter note Dallara f3 cars are work of art.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 384

h pattern to sequential converter is 5 grand part only no fitting....
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

Default F399

Out of curiosity what historic series allows 1999 cars to run
    thanks
    Paul

Default Dallara sequential change.

Krutsi

Dallara went over to the FTR box in 2002 and with it sequential change. In F3 paddle change did not come until 2012 ( I think).

I run an H pattern Dallara (397) and it works well with a spark cut and full power shift. Less miss shifts than without and as you observe a lot cheaper on replacing bent valves!

If you do not have and would like electronic copies of the 399 operations manual and/or the parts list PM me.

Nick.

Thanks for all the replies!

The series is Finnish Historic Formula series, which has F3s up to 1999 and national F4s (F3 chassis with VW GTI engine) until 1994. It's not that active, about 10 cars in total, but it's the only formula series "for grown ups" available apart from historic Formula Fords and Vees.

I'm not afraid of over-revs with a sequential shifter, but with H-pattern a mis-shift is a possibility I'd like to avoid. Anyway it seems that it wasn't possible to run sequential converter in the year 1999, which is what matters in the historic rules. I'll just have to make do with an H-pattern and occasional bent valves if it comes to that

I'll shoot you a message Magic, thanks for your offer!

Liked: 17

Over rev in H pattern gearbox is the least of your worries!
    You want too make sure you dont run into someone and lose front wing or nose as parts are getting harder to come by these days hence why I made nose cone and rear wing mould so i can supply parts for the cars.

Are you running full F3 spec engine or a street car based engine?
    F3 engine runs to 6300 and have rev limiter cut out in ECU
    The later Mugen F3 engine was the worst motor to miss a gear with on a down shift as that usually went bang

I have heaps of 99-01 parts plus 3 cars in pieces to assemble for sale

Thread Information