Thread: Will I fit?

Liked: 1

Default Will I fit?

Hello my name is Chance, I'm new to these forums. A lil about me is im an ASE certified mechanic who loves cars and have always wanted to race. My grandfather and father were both VW/Porche mechanics nd know a vw engine better than they know themselves. So naturally I figured with the pricing nd the fact I have no on track experience I wanted to step into the formula vee or first class.... But I'm 6'5 nd well a vw bug itself is a lil challenging to get in.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

I can not speak about what chassis might accept your frame, but I doubt there are many.

I do want to state that your experience with Porsche/VW is of little value. We use a 1200 40hp engine that is restricted to basically stock components. Certain things can be modified, but this is really a very specialized race engine. In general you do not work on the engines that much. The chassis keeps you busy.

Brian

Liked: 947

Quote Originally Posted by baybridgechano View Post
    Hello my name is Chance, I'm new to these forums. A lil about me is im an ASE certified mechanic who loves cars and have always wanted to race. My grandfather and father were both VW/Porche mechanics nd know a vw engine better than they know themselves. So naturally I figured with the pricing nd the fact I have no on track experience I wanted to step into the formula vee or first class.... But I'm 6'5 nd well a vw bug itself is a lil challenging to get in.
    Larry Bacon is sometimes on this forum. His nickname is lbacon. He is of similar height and very helpful. Send him a private message. Ron Chuck is the local guru.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

4. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    I can not speak about what chassis might accept your frame, but I doubt there are many.

I do want to state that your experience with Porsche/VW is of little value. We use a 1200 40hp engine that is restricted to basically stock components. Certain things can be modified, but this is really a very specialized race engine. In general you do not work on the engines that much. The chassis keeps you busy.

Brian
    Not the nicest way to welcome someone new with a question.

Chance, there are some chassis that fit tall people. As Dan said, Larry bacon was really tall. I think womer and predators are known to fit tall people. See if you can find one at a race nearby and sit in it. Remember, it may not necessarily be comfortable, but if you can function you can tweek things to improve the comfort once you own the car. Good luck!
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by baybridgechano View Post
    Welcome Chance! I'm not a Vee guy but having grown up around aircooled 911s, I think your knowledge will be huge for you running a FV even if the engine is restricted. You will better be able to fix problems and keep it running right with your background.

Spend lots of time trying on Vees. My experience is that going to local races you'll have lots of guys that will welcome you to check out their car if not get in (note though: since these cars are fiddled with to be so specific to each of us and kinda fragile, don't take it personally if they actually don't let you get in. However they'll likely know if you'll generally fit or not and be able to tell how adjustable their model is).

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4355

Welcome Chance!

You do not state your goals, but you are young enough to perhaps have aspirations of being a serious race car driver. With your size, if this is the case, selecting race cars and your ability to modify them to fit you, will be crucial to your success. It is more than "fitting in the car" as you need to have minimal levels of comfort to drive at a high level, but the car also needs to come in within 10-15 lbs of minimum weight. Cars that are 40-50 lbs overweight don't win a lot of races or championships. The weight issue is overlooked by a lot of big guys as they search for cars they can fit in, and they end up in uncompetitive ventures. It will be extremely difficult for you to be competitive and safe in FV racing. You seem to embrace ACVW so it may very well be your calling. If you decide that high level competition is the main attraction for you, then you may want to investigate other classes. There may only be a few that will work for your situation, and even buying the right car in that class will be crucial. Cars with big cockpits, and little drivers, tend to put on weight that will never come off.
    Last edited by problemchild; 05.22.19 at 9:58 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 13

Default Welcome Chance

There is some very good advice from several of the previous posts; especially checking with Larry Bacon as he is a pretty tall (and nice) guy. Bad news would be that right now there aren't many (any?) FV's racing locally with the San Francisco Region. There are several running in some of the local vintage groups however. Another person to try and contact is Blake Tatum - he is trying to get the FVs out on track again.

If you haven't been to a San Francisco Region race (Sonoma/Sears Point, Laguna Seca or Thunderhill) it would be worth your time to spend a day looking at cars and talking to people - most are quite happy to chat as long as they aren't busy with car prep; you can probably sit in several cars if you ask. Many people will try to convince you to join their group because they are always looking for more people to race against. There are rental programs in at least the Miata and Spec Racer Ford groups if you ever want to try before you buy; you will need a racing license of course. But again it is worth looking and talking to the drivers first.

If you want to send me a PM, I can send you contact info for Blake.

San Francisco Region 2019 schedule here: https://www.sfrscca.org/racing/2019-schedule/

-Jim

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 947

Chance,

The SF Region is hosting a race at Laguna Seca the weekend of June 1-2. Admission is free to the races, there may be a small fee ($5) since its a county park. You can have a good look at all of the club racers who come out.

Stop by my paddock space if you like. I have a white Crossle #76 Club Formula Ford. I usually have a white/yellow canopy that says "Zilog" on the top.

Everything that Jim says about FV here in the region is true, plus they are great people and formidable competitors. If you can drive a FV fast, you can be fast in anything. PM me if you want Larry Bacon's contact info.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Welcome Chance!

You do not state your goals, but you are young enough to perhaps have aspirations of being a serious race car driver. With your size, if this is the case, selecting race cars and your ability to modify them to fit you, will be crucial to your success. It is more than "fitting in the car" as you need to have minimal levels of comfort to drive at a high level, but the car also needs to come in within 10-15 lbs of minimum weight. Cars that are 40-50 lbs overweight don't win a lot of races or championships. The weight issue is overlooked by a lot of big guys as they search for cars they can fit in, and they end up in uncompetitive ventures. It will be extremely difficult for you to be competitive and safe in FV racing. You seem to embrace ACVW so it may very well be your calling. If you decide that high level competition is the main attraction for you, then you may want to investigate other classes. There may only be a few that will work for your situation, and even buying the right car in that class will be crucial. Cars with big cockpits, and little drivers, tend to put on weight that will never come off.
    Goals? Well I guess it's to have fun, bring my sin into the world of racing. I would love to make it as far as possible nd drive cars that lush my limit's. But I unfortunately have a criminal record nd dint think I'll ever make it pro and that's all right with me. I never had the opportunity to get into a car at a young age nd i want that to change for my kids. I have no real experience besides probably almost 10 years of everyday racing games nd sims. But I want to get out there nd feel the rush nd drive.

Liked: 304

You *can* fit in a FV, it just likely will not happen on an off the shelf car. I'm 6'4 and managed to fit with modifications, but it was not comfortable. I made more modifications until it got better. You don't state your weight as that can be a second challenge if your large in girth.

Go to some races and check out the cars. Unless you find a FV racer near your size you will probably not be able to try them on.

In 1973 at my first drivers school I made friends with a 6'5, 270 pound gentleman driving a Zink FV. It can be done...

The previous reference to Larry Bacon is excellent. I don't know him, only that he is of the large size, modified FV's to fit, and he's in California. If I were serious I'd contact him and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    You *can* fit in a FV, it just likely will not happen on an off the shelf car. I'm 6'4 and managed to fit with modifications, but it was not comfortable. I made more modifications until it got better. You don't state your weight as that can be a second challenge if your large in girth.

Go to some races and check out the cars. Unless you find a FV racer near your size you will probably not be able to try them on.

In 1973 at my first drivers school I made friends with a 6'5, 270 pound gentleman driving a Zink FV. It can be done...

The previous reference to Larry Bacon is excellent. I don't know him, only that he is of the large size, modified FV's to fit, and he's in California. If I were serious I'd contact him and go from there.
    I was a fat kid growing up, about 335 was my highest. I realized that was extremely unhealthy nd lost over 100 pounds and am down to about 220 but my lowest was 205 nd i plan to get back around the 200 mark nd i do t kno if that's still heavy or not ?

15. The following members LIKED this post:

205 should be pretty good. Now, somebody that weighs 140 would be able to put a 60 pound plate on the bottom of the same car, so advantage to them. You should be able to get near the minimum car & driver weight at 205.

Also, at 205/210 your only fit problem is probably just your length. Surgery, you or the car, will fix that

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    205 should be pretty good. Now, somebody that weighs 140 would be able to put a 60 pound plate on the bottom of the same car, so advantage to them. You should be able to get near the minimum car & driver weight at 205.

Also, at 205/210 your only fit problem is probably just your length. Surgery, you or the car, will fix that
    I'm down lol I'm sick of tall jokes and hitting my head anyways

Ha, tell me about it. I think just about everything that has a height to it is just under 6'4", and I have the scars on my going bald head to prove it.

Liked: 13

So did you go to the June 1-2 race at Laguna Seca?

As mentioned, you CAN fit in a FV, it will be a matter of finding what chassis will fit you best. It DOES matter what your proportions are, including longer or shorter legs; most cars can be configured to some degree to fit you better. The Formula First (FST) rules allow a longer wheelbase which provides some options for you should you want to give that a try instead of a FV, but there aren't many of them in the SFR region and none racing at the moment. As I previously mentioned, the Spec Racer Fords are another option and I guarantee that you will fit in one of those cars - one of the people that rents SRFs in our area is about your size and he has been driving them for many years. DanW races a Formula Ford, and my impression is that those tend to be somewhat bigger than a FV but not a lot, but that also depends on the chassis...

Go to a race - and bring your kids, this IS a family sport!

-Jim

Thread Information