Liked: 91

Default Obsolete, orphaned software licenses?

When Cosworth/Pi abandoned Pi Club Expert for Windows they said that anyone who wanted a license for it should just get one from someone who had one. I took that as an opportunity to solve that problem forever, and generated all the licenses for that particular app.

Now, that being the case. If you are in possession of a software package that has been abandoned, orphaned, or is obsolete and you can no longer get a license or license renewal for it, I would certainly consider looking at them to see if I could generate new licenses for them.

Anyone in this boat?

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

I'm not sure, I might be. I had bought a couple Pi systems with the intention of installing on some of my project cars but I still haven't gotten to them! I know I have the CDs for each system but don't recall how anything worked as it's been over 10 years since I've used a Pi. What should I check?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Really just install it, and see if it works. If it DOES work, then you don't need help. If it says your license has expired, or something like that, that's where *I* come in. :-)

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 7

Default W. C. Mitchell software

I have one of the William C Mitchell programs I would like to get working. Have you been successful with any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    When Cosworth/Pi abandoned Pi Club Expert for Windows they said that anyone who wanted a license for it should just get one from someone who had one. I took that as an opportunity to solve that problem forever, and generated all the licenses for that particular app.

Now, that being the case. If you are in possession of a software package that has been abandoned, orphaned, or is obsolete and you can no longer get a license or license renewal for it, I would certainly consider looking at them to see if I could generate new licenses for them.

Anyone in this boat?

Quote Originally Posted by macbt21 View Post
    I have one of the William C Mitchell programs I would like to get working. Have you been successful with any of them?
    Never HEARD of "William C Mitchell". If you can get the app(s) to me, I can have a look. What's the story with them? hardware dongle? license file?

Liked: 83

Default CDS and Mitchell Software

People with CDS DA systems are in the need for licenses. I just kept the computer off the internet and kept the date in the working range, until I got smart and upgraded to AiM hardware, great decision and great company.

The William Mitchell software is WinGeo3 a suspension design software program. Billy was a really wonderful person and quite an accomplished software engineer, passed on way too soon.
    Last edited by sccadsr31; 02.28.21 at 9:40 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 89

I don't know how the software licenses work for Pi, but for CDS there was a paid license fee that worked for a set amount of time. Like my Brother mentioned above, he kept his laptop date within the range and didn't have a problem. But that laptop can never be connected to the internet or the date will be updated. I, and I assume You, don't know how to generate licenses for CDS systems. There may be a few people out there that still use that system, though I suspect that since the support for CDS has essentially disappeared, there are fewer and fewer hangers on, as evidenced by the low prices people are asking for their systems being sold.

So do you have any thoughts or ideas on how to essentially hack a CDS license?

Liked: 52

Search for the thread "Competition Data Systems out of business".

There is an email address and instructions for how to get a new registration key. This was July 2019, a couple years after CDS effectively abandoned the market.

If that doesn't work, DM me...

Liked: 0

Wasn't there a "dongle" available for the Cosworth/Pi systems that opened up more functions etc? Does anyone have one of those laying about ?
    Thanks,
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    So do you have any thoughts or ideas on how to essentially hack a CDS license?
    I've never looked at one. If someone were to send me the software (as others here have, and have been happy with the results), I'll take a look and see what I can figure out for the community.

(Upload the software to some place like mega.nz, and send me the link to it.)

Liked: 83

Default CDS software

FrankRizzo,
    If you will message me an email address I'll share a bropbox with you where the last owner of the business put software for me. I have no longer have any interest in CDS but if this can help someone I'm all in in.

My conversion to AiM has been a beautiful thing they have been unbelievably helpful and have made it possible for me to do my own wiring, made great suggestions for the install and are so fast with software help. Their extended community on FaceBook is also a great help!

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information