Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Default A.J. “Buddy” Pugliese

Just to let the community know Buddy’s passing today. So many of us owe much of what we’ve achieved in racing to him. In my mind the innovator, and implementor of the CF concept that gave so many a place to race that otherwise would’ve never occurred. But no sadness from me as he lived his dream. RIP my mentor and friend.

2. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 212

Very sad news. I am grateful for the time I spent with him and for everything he brought to the community.

An outside the box thinker who lived for Formula Ford racing.

Godspeed Buddy. You will be missed
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

Godspeed. The Banshees are wailing, even if he wasn't particularly Irish.
    Last edited by TimH; 05.14.19 at 11:23 AM.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 309

Damn. Thanks Buddy for the unfailingly good and kind advice to a young (okay...new) guy on the FSRAC lo those many years ago.

Godspeed!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

30 plus years ago, the man put me on a path in life that I couldn't imagine I would get to live and continue to. Without his vision of an affordable racing series, there was no way as a 20 year old kid working as a mechanic that I would have been able to live the dream of driving racecars. I owe more to that man than I could ever put into words. To a great mentor and friend, Godspeed Buddy.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

10. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 6

Default A True “Buddy”

It’s so nice to hear all the great tributes about Buddy. He was all that and so much more. I’ve never forgotten the lessons I learned from him about race cars, race car preparation, racing, tow vehicles, and life in general. He made the dream of genuine motor racing competition available to so many of us. Most of all, I will never forget his kindness to others and how he would put so much time and effort into delivering trailer-loads of gifts to little towns down south and bring Christmas to those who might otherwise go without it. He was truly an exemplary human being. Rest In Peace, A.J. You were a real “Buddy” to so many of us and will be sorely missed.

12. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    Just to let the community know Buddy’s passing today. So many of us owe much of what we’ve achieved in racing to him. In my mind the innovator, and implementor of the CF concept that gave so many a place to race that otherwise would’ve never occurred. But no sadness from me as he lived his dream. RIP my mentor and friend.
    I'm sorry to hear of this. I was with him about a month ago. He was a real class guy.

Liked: 4

Default Godspeed AJ

Thank You for making my Dreams come true.
    F.W. Schroeder, 6th

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 492

Default Buddy

Buddy's concept of Club Ford was imported to the West by Vern Jaques. While our rules have not always totally agreed thanks to Buddy, and his concept, a lot of people out here have had been able to compete and have a chance to win even if they could not afford the latest and greatest equipment. RIP
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 8

Default AJ

I can't even begin to say how sad I am to hear of AJ's passing, he really was a great guy.
    condolenses to his family. RIP Buddy !!!!!

Liked: 0

I'm surprised and sad to learn of AJ's death. We talked on the phone recently after I purchased a Banshee and was seeking more info. It seems he was widely known and respected in the circles he traveled. Godspeed on the next leg of your journey, AJ.

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, and I certainly mean no disrespect. Is there someone that the baton will pass to concerning Banshee info and parts?

Peter

Liked: 4

Default Peter

Peter:
    I will pass along your kind words and Question to AJ’s Daughter.
    By chance are you the Guy interested in a Seat ?

Quote Originally Posted by carbidetooth View Post
    I'm surprised and sad to learn of AJ's death. We talked on the phone recently after I purchased a Banshee and was seeking more info. It seems he was widely known and respected in the circles he traveled. Godspeed on the next leg of your journey, AJ.

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, and I certainly mean no disrespect. Is there someone that the baton will pass to concerning Banshee info and parts?

Peter
    F.W. Schroeder, 6th

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by FWSchroeder View Post
    Peter:
    I will pass along your kind words and Question to AJ’s Daughter.
    By chance are you the Guy interested in a Seat ?

I'd appreciate you passing that along. It meant much to me to hear how my own father had influenced lives I had no knowledge of prior to his death.

Yes, that was me asking after a seat or seat shell. The one I have has seen much repair and perhaps modification. I'm actually adding my own repairs and reinforcement to it today! Waiting for f-glass to go off as I write this.

As I familiarize myself with the car, and having very little knowledge of Formula cars, I'm impressed by how well thought-out it appears to be. I'll do my best to honor that going forward.

Liked: 5

Default buddy,s passing

A.J introduced me to formula racing about 34 years ago. I was sick of DRAG racing and needed a new reason to bring home a paycheck,to afford a formula ford. Went to SKIP BARBER at lime rock 3 weeks after meeting him and bought a 20f CROSSLE that needed a engine freshened. he guided me thru a cortina rebuild. I still own that race car.went to rcca school and raced the 88,89 seasons with them.we talked in january about going out to dinner, friday of the jefferson 500. i did not make it down there, and he is now gone. AJ ,you gave me an idea and I still get out of bed to run with that IDEA THANK YOU I WILL MISS YOU

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 8

If anyone follows this, but I just heard about this. AJ was an old school racer. He was about the man and machine. He felt you were a better racer if you worked on your car and made it your own. I spent so much money and time trying to restore my car, he thought I was a dope. I can hear him now, " Just race the car ".

He got me on the track with his "GT" events, street cars lapping/time trials. My first time was Bridgehampton and I tried to follow Mark Donohue's instructions not to lift, and take the Bridge flat out in my Mitsubishi Eclipse. God was with me, as somehow I did not flip and kill myself. Still with 4 wheels, I was black flagged. AJ was standing there like a State Trooper. "How's it going out there kid?" I said "fine, no problems" . He replied with the facts that I left the track dramatically. After trying to explain Mark Donohue's driving instructions he interrupted and said "Slow down, have fun and you'll get home alive".

He was a really good guy.

25. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default CLUB FORD...Buddy's creation

Buddy deserves all the kind and thoughtful tributes posted above. He was a true racing fanatic if there ever was one and, hey, let's face it, just a little bit of an odd duck! ( and to that moniker, if Buddy were here he'd say "Yup, that's me"! ) But let's make sure and be clear about what Buddy did - most famously - way before creating the Banshee. I mean.....the guy friggin' created CLUB FORD. Back in 1981, sick and tired of monster tire bills and firmly opposed to the idea that another $500 set of tires can often lead to victory, Buddy conceived of rules that would level the field. After the SCCA said no to allowing his group to run with SCCA, he formed a club, called it CLUB FORD and with a bit of collabration with the guys at EMRA, the Club and its class for "the little guy" came to life. Slowly but surely the racers showed up and for quite a while there were damn good fields of cars at Lime Rock, Pocono, Bridgehampton, Bryar and, even way back then, at Summit Point. I jumped in for the 1983 season and had a blast with an old Macon in which Chris Fahan had won nine races and the Club Ford Championship in 1982. Buddy was a one-man-band, wrote the rules, greeted everyone at the gate - with a smile - ran tech, directed the workers - volunteers of every imaginable sort - presented the trophies, handed out penalties - with a frown - oversaw engine tear-downs and in between events, he held free seminars in his shop in New Rochelle, passing on his vast knowledge of the sport, the chassis, the engine and even race driving too. The club persevered through many successful years and eventually was renamed RCCA and then FRCCA - the Formula Race Car Club of America. And from the idea he created, the SCCA eventually adopted Club Ford as a class and it, too, was a great success. Buddy was one hell of a racer and even more importantly, a helluva a guy......and we owe him alot.
    Last edited by John Merriman; 02.05.20 at 8:39 PM.

27. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 23

Sorry to hear Buddy is gone. I didn't know him well but did meet him a few times when I first was getting involved with racing. Always was nice to me as a newbie.

Read the story here https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...icular-picture about my first experience with the RCCA. A little prelude to that story though is this. In 1989 I wanted to start racing so was going anywhere I could to meet people and learn more about it (pre-internet days, we actually had to get out and do it on our own!). I wound up at Bridgehampton to watch a vintage event. Turns out the RCCA was the club working the event for the vintage group. As I was walking through the paddock some guy came up and started talking to me and the friend I dragged along for the day. Asked if we were planning on staying the entire day. When I said probably yes he asked if we would work a corner. I said "ok sure we will. What does that mean???"

Next thing I knew we had a radio and a bunch of flags, he said if something happens start waving the yellow one, call in and we'll tell you what else to do. That was my first intro to Buddy!

I'm looking for a particular picture that was taken that weekend. Somebody may still have it as it is a piece of RCCA history. Read the post and let me know if anyone still has a copy.Thanks!

29. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information