Classifieds Super License Ricks Minis's Avatar
    Liked: 56

Default March 729 - 7 - FRESH & READY NOW!

Hello! Likely I have posted this to the incorrect area, so here it is listed again! This is an exceptional Formula Ford, low production number. My seller has taken great care of this car, it is a front runner, excellent build quality, see listing info below. I talked to Wayne Mitchell this last weekend at the British Extravaganza at Buttonwillow for verification, I have known Wayne since 2000, he is an amazing man and builder.. I have known my 'seller' Jim since he said hello to my Crossle 16F and I at Portland in 2002! "NO disappointments", info from Wayne available as well! I am overjoyed to be able to list this car, you will love it!
    Thanks,
    Rick Larner
    RaceCarLocators.com
    Ricksminis1@msn.com
    509-868-2034
    ---------------------------
    March 729-7
    1972 Formula Ford
    This car was the last Formula Ford built by Wayne Mitchell Engineering under license to March. It was acquired in 2000, restored, maintained, and raced by the former President of SOVREN. Fresh Jay Ivey 711. Gearbox gone through by DND Fabrication. Armstrong shocks rebuilt by Archie Hodge. Revolution alloy wheels. Car comes with a good spares package including suspension components, molds for engine cover and leading edge of nose, spare nose, tooling and fixtures to fabricate steering arms, set-up bars, and a set of Weller steel wheels for those organizations that do not allow alloy racing wheels. Body paint and frame powder coating are fresh. Will require belts to suit new owner’s preference (old ones out of date). New owner will also want to set up suspension/brake balance to suit their particular driving style. Complete photo essay of this car from June 2011 can be viewed at: www.britishracecar.com/JimJohnson-March-729.htm
    Car is located in the Seattle, Washington area.

LISTING AT $28,900.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

Default March 729

I enjoyed reading all of the posts on the FF celebration at Road America this last weekend. Noticed only two March Formula Fords in attendance. Sure wish I could have joined you. Both represented the marque well. Here is your chance to join a unique group of historic FF racers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Has SOVREN Logbook.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default how many...

Formula One ( F1) manufacturers produced FF cars?

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    Formula One ( F1) manufacturers produced FF cars?

Contemporaneously? Lotus

I believe that there was - very briefly - an F1 team badged as Lola, but after their run of FF cars. Also a Reynard F1, but again after it built FFs.

Lots of designers worked on both FF and F1 cars at points in their career.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 757

The AAR Eagle FF.

The MasterCard Lola DNQ’d in Australia and I don’t think it appeared again.

Lola was commissioned to build the Embassy Hill car, an early Honda I believe, and of course the Beatrice Lola HAAS.

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 909

The Eagle FF came several years after the F1 effort ended.

Lotus and March built F1 and FF cars at the same time.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 952

Last edited by DanW; 01.05.20 at 1:18 AM.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

March's goal in the early 70's was to have a chassis in every recognized open wheel class, including F1, F2, F3, Indy cars, and FF. Later they produced some first rate Atlantic cars and Super Vees.

Default March 729

Car is still for sale. More photos here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

In the 3 years of March FF production, about 26 total were built. Rare stuff here!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Stunning bit o' kit!
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Classifieds Super License Ricks Minis's Avatar
    Liked: 56

Default March 729

Quote Originally Posted by old 59 View Post
    Stunning bit o' kit!
    Yes, I used to race FF, Crossle' 16F & Elden PH8, finally figured out that I am too big and fat to race these...even after the Crossle' I had to try again! I'm telling you, this is a good deal, this is a remarkable race car. I first met this seller in 2001 when I yanked the Crossle' from Los Angeles to Portland for a SOVREN race. The seller, Jim, went out of his way to come over and say hello and welcome me to SOVREN. Jim has retired now, this is his 'expensive' labor of love to pass on to another! Please check this price and condition against others for sale here in the USA. This is head & shoulders above any UK ads for vintage FF, at half the price! FRESH Jay Ivey engine, in my opinion no finer FF builder than Jay.
    I love this car, a front runner since I've known Jim. I sell quality race cars, although this is on the smaller end of the race cars I sell, FF has always been a very fun group, and very competitive! A "purpose-built" vintage race car, beautiful and competitive, what more do you need?

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information