Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Default Tripod housing installation difficulties?

I've had to change the boots on the drive axles and one of the Tripod housings just won't go on the outer drive flange. it got stuck so bad that i had to split the flange.

On the bench, I tried putting everything together with a press - only succeeded in totally F-ing up four new MS bolts. Tried reaming the aluminum flange, and the housing with a 5/16 reamer - still no joy. tried to drill the housing bolt holes out another 64th but that's just an exercise in frustration.

As it is I'll have to epoxy the bolts into the flange to keep the from pushing out when I finally get this goat rope fixed.

It appears to me the VD flange is a few thou off on the bolt circle diameter. Really don't want to drill it out but I'm running out of options.

Thoughts?

Liked: 48

Default try these ?

Rick
    I still have these
    Attached Images Attached Images
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

It's not the boot. i can't get the six bolts through the housing. Brad says that sometimes the aluminum deforms a bit, and then there's just enough issues with parallel tolerances - long bolts through long holes - that they won't line up. It's bad enough that I can put one bolt in, and there's no location where a second bolt will go in more than a half-inch.

Liked: 48

I could help you with housings both long or short if that helps
    I know they work for sure
    the problems you are having are not normal

up to you

email me if you are interested
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Thread Information