Liked: 10

Default What’s the story on a Merloy dsr

Was this car any good?
    can’t seem to find much about it other than who was involved with the project.
    What happened?
    Paul

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Company was bought and renamed Phoenix in 03 or 04. I was the only dealer. We sold 2 cars. They were big and heavy. Great track day cars. The company was then sold again and only F1000 cars were built.
    Do you want to buy one?
    My customer still has the CSR that Treadway lead the 05 Runoffs with until a cam angle sensor went bad. He's used it for track days since then but not for the last 2 years due to health reasons.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Thanks for the info, I saw one for sale on racing junk, great looking car. I did have some interest but found something closer to home.
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Thanks for the info, I saw one for sale on racing junk, great looking car. I did have some interest but found something closer to home.
    paul
    I think that car was Matt Conrads car. Matt bought Merloy and renamed it Phoenix before selling the company.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Cool looking and some nice equipment for under 10k....

Liked: 309

Default Link to Racing Junk Ad...

Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default looks

very nice

It's actually a very well built car. It makes for a really good track day car because nothing but the chain wears out.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Merloy

With a lot of work, you can actually make them fast. I had a really good crew chief. I set a track record (qualifying and race) at Laguna in 07 with mine, but they are heavy and need aero (Rear lift) and roll center (the rear is too high) work. It was all over the place in medium speed corners and diabolical when trail braking.... I think with patience, a Hyabusa, and some $, no a lot of $$ you could get it going pretty well as a P2 car. I used to make weight easily in DSR before I got in the car. You also would need to redo the Diff mounting system as it used to twist and the chain would come loose. We fixed it by making aluminum plates to mount the diff. Oh and one more, the stub axles are a weak point, if you get it working well you will need to have new stub axles made that are a better design than the originals, they will snap, even if you just crack tested them ( I know...). I also put a lot of Carbon fibre body work on the car to get the weight down, and the original floors are wood filled and therefore very heavy so those need to be replaced as well.... Not a cheap project.
    Last edited by John; 04.26.19 at 10:34 AM.

12. The following 4 users liked this post:

The Dougs at Fast Forward put their guts into the uprites on the car we ran Treadway in and we never has a stub axle issue after that.

The above post by John kind of nails it !

Contributing Member

Default Stub Axels

We did the same with my car, and it solved my problem as well. Doug also added some floating rotors as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    The Dougs at Fast Forward put their guts into the uprites on the car we ran Treadway in and we never has a stub axle issue after that.

The above post by John kind of nails it !

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

Default Merloy

John
    Your old car is currently owned by Ed Whitman in Everett and he plans to race it in Conference a few times this year.

I hear he may have a new hot motor in it for the start of the season.

Contributing Member

Default Old Car

I happy that it is in good hands. I may get out this year, we have our house up for sale and are going back to California, if it does not sell soon.. I will make a couple of races at the end of the season.

If you have a good motor, keep the springs stiff and run it low as you can to get the aero working on that car.

Have fun with it.

Liked: 0

I was looking at that car on racing junk also,
    does anyone know if this car will accommodate a bigger guy.

Contributing Member

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by 02fly View Post
    I was looking at that car on racing junk also,
    does anyone know if this car will accommodate a bigger guy.
    They were designed as a school car, so they are very roomy...

So Yes

Liked: 231

Does anybody have an idea how the physical footprint of these cars compare to a more modern car? If smaller, it could be a good candidate for an autocross car. The ideal wheelbase in my mind is something around 90" but I understand a lot of the newer cars are more like 100".

-Mark
    Mark Uhlmann
    Vancouver, Canada
    '12 Stohr WF1

Thanks John

Huge interior on those cars. I had a customer that was 6'4" and 255lbs in one and he had room to spare.

I guess I should have defined big, I'm 5'10' 260 x power lifter I'm worried about width for my shoulders. I don't fit in a formula Mazda my shoulders are to wide and hit the down tubes of the roll bar. Thanks for your feedback

Quote Originally Posted by 02fly View Post
    I guess I should have defined big, I'm 5'10' 260 x power lifter I'm worried about width for my shoulders. I don't fit in a formula Mazda my shoulders are to wide and hit the down tubes of the roll bar. Thanks for your feedback
    You'll fit. There's no tubes in the shoulder area.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default One is up for sale....

Not mine, but saw this Merloy for sale on SportsRacer Technology site:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/dsrf...p=77749#p77749

Same car as earlier for a lot more $$$ .... and still needs work!

Liked: 11

It has a fresh Loyning headed/ported R1 with Loyning custom cams,FCR 41mm carbs, Billet oil pan, New fuel pump, all new -AN gas and oil lines,all new fittings, new fuel cell etc etc etc. It was purchased not running, no motor. Ive put a lot of time and money in it and its still super cheap. Look up the parts on this car, the steering wheel is still 3 or 4k to buy today. Best bang for your buck on this site. And yes it needs new belts, and re cert the fire bottle. BTW every car on this sight needs work in one way or another and this is cheap fun with full ST 8600 stack telemetry.
    Last edited by zdr01; 12.04.19 at 3:34 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 94

Its a very expensive motor, but unfortunately its probably only good for maybe 165 if its fresh. A stock ebay 05 GSXR has the same amount of power and has the added fuel injection which makes a world of difference over even the best tuned FCRs.

Decent track day car as many have said above, once the teething issues are taken care of.

FYI, motor changes require the rear end to be lifted fairly high as the motor comes out the bottom not the top like every other car on the planet.

Thanks for the update/ explanation on what you have done to the car.
    The price makes more sense now.

paul

Quote Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
    Its a very expensive motor, but unfortunately its probably only good for maybe 165 if its fresh. A stock ebay 05 GSXR has the same amount of power and has the added fuel injection which makes a world of difference over even the best tuned FCRs.

Decent track day car as many have said above, once the teething issues are taken care of.

FYI, motor changes require the rear end to be lifted fairly high as the motor comes out the bottom not the top like every other car on the planet.
    I understand your response about the HP. My last few did dyno at @ 168. But the cool thing about this setup is they make a ton of torque and I can run this unrestricted because of the age. How much hp and torque does a GSXR make chocked down with the intake restricter plates in? As far as the handling, I bet back in the day they were a little whip snappy on the back as the rear wing stock is small with little shape and the spring rates were very soft. Im sure it did unload fast on certain entrance\exits. I have a carbon fiber bi-plane Stohr wing for the car, Im sure with a little testing and newer tech set up it will be just fine and a lot of fun. I'm only considering selling as I will be running my dirt cars a lot more this season. If it don't sell I have no issues keeping it around, and honestly with all the fuss and negative feedback Ive gotten on other sites Im almost ready to take down the listing and see what it can do. This was a small company and these cars never really got a chance to develop. I am realistic with the fact its no Stohr but still faster and more fun than many classes bang for buck. And to your point the motor wasn't too bad to put in, it is a little odd to drop it out the bottom but it goes smooth. Thanks all.

Contributing Member

Default Maloy

To be clear, we had very stiff springs in our car and you still have the issues with rear Aero lift in the body work and a misplaced rear roll center.

There is a reason we all went away from the yamaha motors to a fuel injected GSXR. No one is saying this is a bad car, just one that is very heavy and needs lots of work and money to make it right.I think my car was around 1050 lbs before I got in the car. Personally this car is still overpriced, and it would be much cheaper to buy a Stohr in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    To be clear, we had very stiff springs in our car and you still have the issues with rear Aero lift in the body work and a misplaced rear roll center.

There is a reason we all went away from the yamaha motors to a fuel injected GSXR. No one is saying this is a bad car, just one that is very heavy and needs lots of work and money to make it right.I think my car was around 1050 lbs before I got in the car. Personally this car is still overpriced, and it would be much cheaper to buy a Stohr in the long run.
    Thanks John. This car weights @850 with no driver. And not saying its a bad car but pointing out all the issues you think it has. Bravo. So whats it worth in your expert opinion?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 94

Whats a "ton of torque"? And at what RPM?

All I can say is this engine combo ran every bit as good as my 08 GSXR stuff at my local track. Not a very long straights. If fact the R1 had quicker lap times with me driving. I'm not looking for a debate or an argument just trying to sell a very nice car. The GSXR had more top end for sure, and the fuel injection is obviously smoother no question.. but corner speed in the Yam for whatever reason fit my driving style better. I had thought about swapping in a newer GSXR or BUSA but why? I'm a local racer that runs for fun and the mounts in this car currently are for the Yam platform. Thanks to all that participated.

Thread Information