Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Default Titan 5-port FF pump

Gents;

I have no clue as to what the previous owner did, but the outer cover with the pressure adjuster is SOLIDLY secure to the “in”/“out” housing.

Any my suggestions as to getting it loose without damage?

V/r

Iverson

Liked: 162

Can you use the pressure adjuster as a jack screw? Never have done this but might be worth a try.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

No way to grab the cover. I assume it is threaded into the pump body.

Maybe a bit of GENTLE heat would help. Emphasis on the gentle part

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    No way to grab the cover. I assume it is threaded into the pump body.

Maybe a bit of GENTLE heat would help. Emphasis on the gentle part
    Steve;

I was thinking oven temperature of hot engine oil, say 180F. All dissimilar metals will be out, and the expansion coefficient of the top plate and the pump housing will be the same.

But I would be pleased to find a solvent that eventually would work it’s way though the two pieces. Thoughts?

V/r

Iverson

Liked: 39

Default Oil pump cover

Suggestion on the oil pump; If I recall, the outer cover portion of the oil pump is only about 5/16" thick and the adjustment screw is part of the cover. So, if possible, grip the outer cover (with small bits of aluminum sheet on the jaws to protect the cover) and use a 4 jaw lathe chuck to hold it. Then using a propane torch carefully heat the edges of the cover. It would seem the gasket sealant is holding it all together and with no place to grip the cover - it is solidly in place. The heat will soften the gasket material. With the lathe chuck holding the cover you should be able to get it to come loose. It really should not take a lot of heat to get the gasket material softened up and using propane carefully there should not be a risk of damaging anything as there are only metal bits inside, no O-rings or plastic bits. The only risk is holding the cover tightly and if using aluminum shims over the steel jaws of a 4 jaw chuck it should prevent any damage to the cover. Good luck with this!.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Removing Cover

I assume the distributor gear has been removed from the shaft so if you clasp the pump gently in a vice you can gently tap with rubber hammer on the shaft and it will push the cover off. Make sure you have your hand beneath it when you do it as the gears, cover, etc. will all come out together. I always back out the adjustment screw as well beforehand.

Liked: 799

I've got a disassembled pump on the bench.
    There are no dowels on mine between the top cover and the housing, nor does the pump shaft interact with the cover. The cover could be hammered (lightly LOL) laterally in shear and will move about 1/8" before the pressure setting screw contacts the side of the bore it sits in. First preheat as mentioned above to soften the sealant or whatever has it stuck.
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Thread Information