Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 109

Default Oil capacity - Stock Stohr with 06GSXR

Howdy,

I have the method to check oil but its kind of a bugger because the sightglass is behind the exhaust. For those who run Stohr FB's with an 06, and a wet sump can you provide an estimate? http://www.rilltechracing.com/suppor....shtml#oilfill

I am sure I am running too much oil and its hurting performance.

I think while attempting the process in the past I was at 5.5 Qts.

But... better safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance

Liked: 133

If you are running with a lot of excess oil, it should be puking the excess out the breather and self equalizing.

In my 08 GSXR (wet sump with Rilltech pan and Setrab 50 Row oil cooler), it takes 4.5 to 5 qts to reach operating level. It all depends on whether or not you can fully drain the system. I seem to recall that my AMAC with an 06 GSXR and smaller oil cooler took about 4.5 qts.

Get a mechanic's mirror on a stick and use it to view the oil level in the sight glass. Use a flashlight. If my WF1 is like the FB, the diffuser and rear frame block direct line of sight to the sight glass. With the mechanic's mirror, I can look from above the engine.

Fill it with engine off so that the sight glass is full. idle the engine to let the oil flow thru the system. Shut it down and fill to the top of the sight glass. Recheck the level at idle and fill to the top of the sight glass if necessary. Run the engine at 3000 and check the sight glass. Put enough oil in to fill the sight glass at 3000 rpm. This may be an iterative process adding a little oil at a time. Final step is to add 0.5 qt after filling the sight glass at 3000. If I put too much in, it pukes the excess.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 109

Default Thanks

Thanks Craig,

I have run the car with 5 and then 6 qts in it and never puked with the past engine. (and part of the reason I am asking).

Different engine this year so we will keep an eye on it. 5 qts in thus far but only initial start up and idle for a few moments checking hoses, and etc. Next is to warm it up and check.

CJ

Liked: 133

Since I already know what my system takes, I start with the 4 qts and then begin the final adjustment process. Final oil capacity is a function of the capacity of the oil lines, oil cooler, size of oil filter, etc such that one number does not fit all set-ups.

Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Thread Information