Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 109

Default Changing front sprockets

Howdy,

I recently changed out a front sprocket. Can someone advise a tool to hold it while you torque it down? I used a combination of tools and it worked ok but not ideal. I saw some that use the bike frame to prevent spinning. But nothing real ideal.....

Thx in advance
    cj

Liked: 553

(I'm guessing) You're trying to tighten it without the chain installed?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    (I'm guessing) You're trying to tighten it without the chain installed?
    Actually on the engine outside the car. Figured it would be easier while the engine was out to torque it before install...

Thx
    Cj

Liked: 702

I always wait until the engine is in and the chain is on to torque it. Just make sure you tape a reminder to the steering wheel.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 553

I agree with Mike. I think I tried to make something once, but it was far from perfect. It used a chain, then secured to itself, like with safety wire, then securing the other end to something. Might work with an old chain and an impact gun. And red Loctite.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Thanks!

Thanks Guys!

I will probably re-torque once I have everything assembled... I did find a tool that appears to hold the sprocket and is formed to use the bike chassis to prevent turning but doesnt apply to FB cars! (in most cases)

Cj

Liked: 80

Over the years, I've found it problematic to try and torque it to some number and/or use red loctite - have had to cut front sprockets off that way.

A much easier solution is to zip it on "snug" with an impact at a low setting, and then fold the edges of the washer behind the retaining nut such that they provide a physical barrier to the nut spinning. Much easier and 100% fool proof.

-Jake

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default My process...

After cleaning the male and female threads with mass air flow sensor cleaner, I apply blue loctite and torque to the Suzuki spec (85 ft-lbs?), with the chain installed. Then I use a paint pen to mark the nut and sprocket orientation, and check after each session to confirm that the nut hasn’t loosened. No issues with that procedure so far.

Liked: 159

Default front sprocket install

I apply a drop of red lock tite and torque to 100 foot lbs. Removal is easy with a good battery impact (the one I use to remove the wheels). Never had a problem with the nut coming off......or with getting it off when I wanted to (put car in gear and block the wheel).

Just be sure the spacer washer is positioned correctly (centered). If it is offset, the nut will feel tight....and torque enough....but the nut will not be seated properly...and will loosen up.

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Race Cars.

Default thx

Thanks everyone!

Liked: 91

Default Keep it simple

Or you can just buy one of these for $3 and NEVER worry about it coming loose ever again. I torque mine to about 100 FtLbs and dont ever use loctite.

14. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by TDI PILOT View Post
    Or you can just buy one of these for $3 and NEVER worry about it coming loose ever again. I torque mine to about 100 FtLbs and dont ever use loctite.
    This is what I have been doing for years and have never had an issue.

Thread Information