Liked: 24

Default FF Trailer tie down

Hey gang, Thinking ahead here as I am getting ready to race my Bugeye in May, then the FF in June. I typically tie down the Bugeye with axle straps for the rear and to my sway bar at the front. How do you all tie down the Formula Fords? The control arms don't seem like the best way front and rear with that sort of loading. Do you use the wheel net type of tie downs? Thoughts for a vintage Merlyn FF? Thanks! (I am waiting on a new fuel cell to complete the restoration).

Liked: 482

Wheel nets and strap flat over tire for me. Lets the car move on it’s suspension.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Wheel nets and strap flat over tire for me. Lets the car move on it’s suspension.
    This is the best way I have found.
    Graham

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Flat straps over the tires have always worked for me.

Liked: 7

I don't have the e-track system to allow the net/strap way, so I attach the tie downs to the lower upright/A arm junction (front) and the frame (rear) .

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Great for shocks

Liked: 482

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Great for shocks
    If your comment is sarcasm, then you can use this: https://www.swracecars.com/store/Cha...46=95-035.aspx

Liked: 130

Default I use this method.......

I adopted this method of tying down after seeing large race prep shops do it this way to accommodate different width cars in the same trailer....

Another advantage is, the mounting hardware for the e-track is now in shear rather than tension.

Hope this helps
    Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery...

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I understand the logic of multiple width cars and the E track in shear instead of tension, but that loading on the single point of the suspension scares the daylights out of me. Remember this is only MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    I understand the logic of multiple width cars and the E track in shear instead of tension, but that loading on the single point of the suspension scares the daylights out of me. Remember this is only MY HUMBLE OPINION.
    Me too. I wouldn't do that with my cars but that's just my opinion. Not many are likely to do what I do with my cars!
    (I use a 2" strap to e-track on the floor over the rear tires only.)
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Thread Information